Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Do you folks find things to substitute drinking? Is drinking sometimes a habit?

Notices

Old 10-20-2011, 02:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am curious if drinking and sobriety is related to human patterns, such as a smoking. I believe it to be habitual, which precludes everything else. Just curious, what do you folks do to substitute drinking?

I find myself to be in the habitual mindset as I have had better control as opposed to before. Before I would drink on weekdays, but now I have used 'work' as a constraint and no longer drink on the weekdays. On Fridays, before the weekend, I find myself looking for beer and booze. it's like my mind set shifts. If I fight it, I spend the whole night lingering, craving and wanting.

I'm just curious what ideas you folks might have.

Just saying.. Thanks. I guess I just need the talk. I often read up on positive effects of quitting drinking to motivate myself as well as come here.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I drink water but everyone is different in what helps them. I found that water for me takes away nearly all of the desire to drink alcohol, especially during the times when I normally would of drank.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gerbosko View Post
I drink water but everyone is different in what helps them. I found that water for me takes away nearly all of the desire to drink alcohol, especially during the times when I normally would of drank.
I've tried that. Recently, I'm trying to drink mineral water, but I think I just have some OCD habits that I had when drinking beer. I would grab more than I could handle, always. I would never settle for just 1 bottle.

I suppose what I mean is, my behavior has contributed to my drinking problems. A lack of self control is also to blame.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I brew tea by the gallon. lol
I make it with half decaf and half regular tea, about 1/2 cup of sugar. Can sip it or chug it.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sadly I drink a 2-liter of diet pepsi a day sometimes more. I need to start cutting down can't be good for you but at least it is better than drinking alcohol.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do You Believe

I have found myself drinking lots of water and lots of diet sodas. I too think there is a lot of habitual behavior in drinking. I am a highly habitual person. I will start drinking coffee and then have to go everyday to the coffee shop until something breaks the cycle. Happened in the past with sodas, smoking, and eating certain things for meals. The mind is such a strange thing sometimes.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I still drink a lot....Ice Tea with Lemon year around... Same with tap water...always have some cold.
I wil not pay for the bottled stuff...probably all came from the same place..regardless of the hype.

I only drink Diet Coke's at AA meetings. When I quit buying them for my apartment..
.with no other changes...I lost 14 pounds.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I must replace drinking with something, otherwise i'd go back to drinking. I try to make sure I do everything in moderation tho, that's something I've always had problems with.

I know I cannot drink alcohol in moderation, but as far as working, exercising, shopping, drinking coffee, etc. those are all things I have to learn to do in moderation as its easy for me to replace one addiction for another.

So I try to fill my time that I spent drinking with several healthier activities, but try not to replace it with just one.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Let go and Let God!

I drink soda all day long.

About it being a habit, I know what you mean. I found that finding a hobby was a wonderful solution to me.

I gradually changed my lifestyle without even realizing it.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

After a particularly trying work day, I'll make an Arnold Palmer when I get home. It's whole lot better for me than the half-quart of bourbon I used to throw down.

2 parts iced tea
1 part lemonade

If you're worried about the sugar, Crystal Light makes a sugar-free lemonade you can mix.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

I am currently hooked on Arizona Tea Arnold Palmer mixes. Oh god, those things are to die for....(arnold palmer mixes = half iced tea half lemonade...) *orgasmic*
Old 10-21-2011, 07:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Smile

For a while, I replaced booze with food, which didn't have a very positive outcome! That habit took a while to overcome as well. Nowadays the only thing I overdo on occasion is ice-cream.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've found it really is habitual. I used to grab a couple tall cans on my way home from work every day. I've replaced it with the Arizona tea tall cans haha. I've been downing tea and water like a fiend. It seems to do the trick.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Originally Posted by Froglet View Post
On Fridays, before the weekend, I find myself looking for beer and booze. it's like my mind set shifts. If I fight it, I spend the whole night lingering, craving and wanting.
Successful sobriety has nothing to do with pouring fluids down my throat. For me it has to do with making my desire to live a healthy, happy, sober and productive life stronger than my need to get intoxicated. It really does require a mind set change. Friday night is no different than any other night. No substitutes liquids are required.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

Put a glass or two of water in the fridge. The act of getting there, bending elbow etc continues. I've had a major day of craving, only 1 (major day, 4 barely there cravings-once a month) in 5 months due to physical pain. I follow a 12 step program of living.