Notices

strange withdrawal

Old 10-19-2011, 08:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

strange withdrawal

My sister is an alcoholic as am I. When I went through my withdrawal I had the usual symptoms but she is experiencing one that seems very odd. She is recalling memories but then she can't decide if they are real or not. She said it's like there is a whole other set of memories or maybe she is recalling parts of a book or movie. I have NEVER experienced that or heard of it? Has anyone else had this?

TIA
Old 10-19-2011, 08:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hmmm...... can't say that I've ever heard that one, beaglenut, but then again our brains are hyperactive in withdrawal, so maybe there's a connection.

I felt at one point like I could hear faint music or conversation going on in the background. If she feels like she could be having hallucinations or can't handle things, you can always take her to the ER, or at least make sure someone is with her (?)
Old 10-19-2011, 08:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Oh yes. It took me a while into recovery, like about 2 years, to figure out what were 'real' memories, and what were 'fantasies' possible 'drinking fantasies' that never happened.

I also know of many that I have worked ith that have experienced the same thing.

If you are near your sister, please keep an eye on her, as detox can kill.

Love and hugs,
Old 10-20-2011, 01:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thank you

for your replies. Yes, I have advised her to go into detox. I have stupidly detoxed at home once and only later learned that I should have gone to the hospital
Old 10-20-2011, 04:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by beaglenut View Post
...She is recalling memories but then she can't decide if they are real or not. She said it's like there is a whole other set of memories or maybe she is recalling parts of a book or movie. I have NEVER experienced that or heard of it? Has anyone else had this?
My withdrawals included hallucinations, which is just one of the many symptoms of severe DT's. My memories of them were indistinguishable from reality in the sense that they were very vivid and somewhat believable.

However, while I was having them, a part of me knew they were all in my head. I would watch TV with the power-cord in my hand so as not to let it fool me into thinking it was real.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

If I were your sister...I'd be heading for a medical acessment...

All my best to both of you...