SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   losing my cat of 17 years (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/239112-losing-my-cat-17-years.html)

OceanSize 10-19-2011 07:46 PM

losing my cat of 17 years

Hi all,

I found out on monday that my cat (17 yrs) is dying of congestive heart failure. these are our last days/ weeks together.

i really want to get high and effed up but am valuing the fact that our last days together i'm sober.

still, it's really hard.

i'm also very lonely. i wish my not-boyfriend boyfriend would hug me, but he's not here for me. I'm really sad and wrapped up in self pity.

any suggestions on literature, movies or general cheesy sayings that may help?

i find that when i surround myself with recovery (literature, or otherwise) it's very soothing. I can't figure out which prayer is right, none of them feel good beyond the serenity prayer. "the things i cannot change" - death falls right into that category!

ugh.

grateful101010 10-19-2011 07:59 PM

I'm very sorry about your cat. I'm a cat owner and know how hard it is to let them go.
I have one year of sobriety. An absolutely crucial part of it for me was reading thereapy - I constantly read, especially at night, about sobriety. The two best books: Drinking a Love Story by Caroline Knapp and Moments of Clarity by Christopher Kennedy Lawford.

least 10-19-2011 08:02 PM

I feel so badly for you in this time of sorrow.:( I know all too well what it's like to lose a furry loved one. Lost my old beagirl of 13 yrs this past summer. Only thing I could console myself with was that I gave her the best possible life a dog could have.

You can say the same for your cat. You gave him a great life for a lot of years and he'll be waiting for you in the place I call God's Meadow (or just The Meadow if you prefer). When I die that's where I want to spend eternity, with all the animals from my life.:)

I too am glad I was sober for her last years. I did her an injustice when I was drinking and since I got sober I've been making it up to her. And she loved me no matter what.:) Your cat does too. So just love him and be with him until he goes to The Meadow. He'll be waiting there for you when it's your turn to leave this life.

:ghug3

gr8ful42day 10-19-2011 08:18 PM

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Lots of resources here. http://www.petloss.com/

MsJax 10-19-2011 08:22 PM

Hi OceanSize. I am so sorry about your cat. My last dog that I got as a puppy (i rescue seniors now) died in 2009 at the age of 15. He was my best friend through days drunk and sober. One thing I did right after he died that helped and was purifying to me (even though i was still drinking then) was write a poem about him and our years together. It started out with where/when I got him as a puppy.....

Maybe that would help? Don't know. Anyhow, all good thoughts coming to you from me. Nice work on keeping sober, too! The best care comes from sober people, for sure.

heathersweeds 10-19-2011 08:25 PM

Im so sorry oceansize!! Lost 2 pet loves in january :cries3: And I am in tears over rainbow bridge!!!!

TwelveSteps 10-19-2011 09:04 PM

I sympathize. I had to put my 18 yo cat to sleep in May after there was no more I could do for her kidney failure. Pets are such great little friends, I wish they lived longer...

GG

Peter G 10-19-2011 09:46 PM

I am deeply sorry OceanSize. I have a 15 year old best friend now who's starting to show signs of the inevitable. Only thing I can say that may help is to remember and be grateful that you did have many years with your buddy. Plenty of kitties pass on far sooner than the age ours have achieved.

We are blessed to have them in our lives, lucky even. That they pass on so quickly shows me that their spirits are required elsewhere, to help make another life that much happier.

I know that my little guy passing on will hurt me deeply, however I will always remember the love I feel for him, and for the ways he made me smile when I was depressed and sad. He was literally my only friend at the end of my alcoholism, and as such, when he passes I will memorialize him as he was... my best friend.

My prayers are with you. Stay strong. (((hugs)))

Impurrfect 10-19-2011 11:18 PM

(((OceanSize))) - I'm so very sorry. My cats are my babies, and I dread the day they can't go on. I make sure that they are loved and spoiled, so at least when that day comes, I won't be regretting that I was out getting high instead of snuggling up with them.

There are a lot of animal lovers here, and we know our furbabies are family. We're here for you.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

tsmba 10-20-2011 03:30 AM

Few things in life have hit me harder than losing a pet. I like to think that we'll be reunited in Heaven. How could it be otherwise?

Stay close to your program and your cat in the days to come. You can live through this. Using is not an option!

SteppingItUp 10-20-2011 03:53 AM

My pets have been among the purest souls I have ever had the honor to know.

I understand, deeply...

Losing my pets has been one of the purest sadnesses I have known.

When my last cat passed away in my arms on Easter morning 3 1/2 years ago, whom I still love and will always love far beyond all measure, I witnessed what God did, taking him back. I say what God did, though at the time I didn't think God cared about individual lives, surely not mine, and I wasn't even sure there was such a thing. But I saw something happen that, when I got sober, helped me when I turned to that same force, with the memory of what I had seen to be real and beyond my power. I have a belief deep inside of me that everything, and all of this, is connected, and in my heart I have a deep sense that in many ways, he played a part in my being given a second chance at life.

He was an angel on earth.

Do not underestimate the power of life, and the power of life in death. I believe it's all God.

With love,

SIU

iliveforyou 10-20-2011 05:06 AM

Oh, I am so very sorry. I am also a huge animal lover and have a deep sense of compassion for them. My first family dog, who is now 15, is living with my mom in another state. It's hard being away from her as her health is slowly getting worse. I want to be by her side but finances make it impossible. While I don't believe in God or Heaven, I like to think there is a special place our pets go. It's hard saying goodbye but I'm sure you gave him the best life possible and take comfort in knowing that he felt the deep sense of life. I'm sorry I don't have anything to offer here, just wanted to reach out and let you know you are not alone.

-Jess

CarolD 10-20-2011 05:25 AM

:hug:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Fandy 10-20-2011 05:52 AM

you want to do best for your aging kitty...it's very hard, but you will be glad you stayed sober through the end for them. it honors their memory....pets give us so much and ask so little.

Opivotal 10-20-2011 07:10 AM

I'm so very sorry Ocean... I had to put my Cat down after 16 years of love and companionship. He was my heart. :) I read the Rainbow Bridge after he passed and cried and cried. I have learned to be grateful for the gift of having such a loving creature in my life. Please know my thoughts and prayers are with you and your Kitty. I believe we will see our loves again.

:ghug3

Best Wishes To You!

Freedom1990 10-20-2011 07:16 AM

I had to say goodbye to my 15-year-old cat earlier this year. I feel your pain. His health really deteriorated the month before.

Cherish the time you have left together, hon. :hug:

LotusBlossom 10-20-2011 08:56 AM

I am so sorry you are having to go through with this but at least you know and can spend those last few precious moments together. Cherish it and the last 17 years you've together. It is so very hard. As weird as this sounds (and I'm sorry if you don't believe in this but I do), I had a kitty that I had for 14 years that lingered behind after he passed. He would still jump up in bed with us (my ex husband and I). We would both feel the bed shake just as it would. I would feel him laying behind me, he would move my body just like he did when he'd lay on my backside, my husband would feel his body, etc. It lasted about 3 months or so before I finally told him to go onto that place/meadow near the bridge to play that I would join him one day, I promised. After that I never felt him again.

You might think I'm on crack, but whatever.
Anyways, I wish you the best and much strength through this very difficult time.

sissy07 10-20-2011 10:59 AM

I am so sorry for what you are going through with your cat. I lost one of my dogs three weeks before I became sober again (73 days ago). I was so very heartbroken. I decided to honor my best friend by giving sobriety one last chance (I think I only have one more chance - really). So when I feel temptation I think of my loving dog, and the loving memories - it helps immensely.

It is such a difficult time. I am glad you are sober to be present with your cat. That is the best gift you can give them. You and your cat will be in my prayers. Take care.

peaceful1 10-20-2011 11:22 AM

I know what you're going through and it's not easy. I had to put my dog down a couple years ago, and it was the hardest thing I have ever done, by far cuz I loved him with all my heart (I'm in tears as I type this)....he was my friend and constant companion....unconditional love.

Just know that your doing the best thing for your cat, and enjoy the time that you have with her. BTW I have read some of your posts re your bf and he doesn't seem like a good guy for you. Take care of yourself.......

ElvisInASkirt 10-20-2011 11:47 AM

Really sorry to hear that :(