Notices

Birthday slip....

Old 10-22-2011, 09:06 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

i'm sorry to hear of your slip, loveon2legs...stick close and please never, ever, forget what it took for you to get here and what it took for you to get your life back. i'm glad you're ok.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:57 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am feeling good...thanks so much xo....I will not think that it is okay to have just a few drinks in the future.. I know where that will lead...and I do remember how far gone I was, and the journey it has taken me to get where I am today.....one night to me does not excuse me to think I can drink like "normies" I wasn't really taking care of myself...and completely let my guard down....I wasn't doing the HALT....I let things slide...I know it is so important to take care of ourselves..proper sleep,proper eating, etc..I am know taking vitamins...sleeping when I can, taking naps..and keeping stress down as much as I can.....and I am going to stop counting days as well......I know how far I have come, just by the way I feel, and how well life really is going....
Old 10-23-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you are firmly back on the right track, I knew you would do so. I agree with you about not counting days. I keep the day one mark on the calendar but I don't check it daily like I used to. I think too much focus on maintaining a non-habit has a way of becoming the habit. better just to try and forget it altogether.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

First of all I am glad you are back. Now seeing as I am about as subtle as a fart in Church I hope u dont take this the wrong way. No matter how we look at it and try to figure out why we drank again, the truth is we drank cause we wanted to. All the theories that follow mean absolutly nothing. Solving that problem is key.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:51 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Big hugs lo2l. I admire your courage in posting here and getting right back in the saddle. I am grateful for your sharing you'd cautionary tale.

Xoxo and a very happy birthday.

T
Old 10-25-2011, 07:28 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Well, LO2L. You are not alone. After nineteen months sans alcohol, I went on a little mini-vacation this weekend and had three glasses of wine over a four hour stretch by the pool. I stopped at three--but didn't really want to. Circumstances--and this THREAD about your slip that I had read just before-- dictated I do so--had they NOT, I would've probably thrown up and gone into full blown panic attack the next day. Instead, I had major anxiety all day Monday and am much better today. I was going to drink no matter what, but your experience was a big reason I stopped when I did. Thank you. And with you, I begin again.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:15 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

With all the knowledge you have...is it possible that you did not choose to put the alcohol in your body this time?
Old 10-26-2011, 08:58 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

WFL...I am glad that my post helped you!..and that you were able to stop....because we know that doesn't happen to us! I did make the choice to drink...the alcoholism made me want to drink more...thankfully nothing bad happened..although I know I just got lucky...it's not something I am willing to play with..it's like russian roullette....I'm over that night...and I am grateful for my sobriety today!! All the best to you my friend! xo
Old 10-27-2011, 05:06 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by loveon2legs View Post
the human me who wants to have it all
Happy Birthday and I'm glad you're 'back'. I just wanted to comment on the idea of having it 'all'. It was hard for me to stay sober when I saw alcohol as something I was missing out on. It was important for my recovery to demystify alcohol and make it something neutral or negative like...fennel

Because alcohol in 'normal person' quantities really is neutral. I mean I could take or leave a drink or two (I, personally cannot take or leave a drink lol. But having to stop at 2 is not appealing to me. I'd rather save the calories and have a pellegrino).

Binge drinking is also not appealing because that'll end badly.

So whenever I got that feeling of deprivation in early recovery I had to remind myself that it was totally an alcoholic thought.

I think feeling deprived is a very insecure and unsustainable feeling for an alcoholic to have. So I hope it has passed for you.