Notices

Question after relaspe

Old 12-04-2003, 06:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question after relaspe

Hi everyone. I've been on these boards before and appreciated the help that I received, so I thought this was the perfect place for me to post my question and get some honest answers.

I relapsed 5 days ago, and have been going strong drinking ever since. I had been sober since October 21st when I admitted myself into a detox center for 5 days. Here in the states, that is all you could get. I stayed for the entire time, and did not sign myself out.

I poured myself into the program at detox, attending every single meeting and trying to learn and benefit from this experience. I don't regret going at all, actually it was my lifesaver.

I WAS doing great as long as I attended meetings, and I was going to 2 a day as well as an outpatient group therapy program once a week. Unfortunately, I went to my 10 year class reunion and while I was sitting there, an overpowering feeling of jelously came over me that everyone else was drinking and I could not. So I snuck 3 drinks that night.

I've been going strong ever since. And I am ashamed. I want this to stop before I end up where I was 2 months ago. I can't and don't want to feel that desperation again!!

My question is, since I've been drinking again for the past 5 days, can I safely detox again without medical intervention? Is it likely that I will be okay? Am I PHYSICALLY addicted again? I know that psychologically I am addicted and that is never going to change. Will I suffer physically?

My new plan is to be honest, which I wasn't completely doing before. I wasn't drinking, but I wanted to REALLY REALLY BAD!! I will be attending 2-3 meetings tomorrow and will get back on track.

Any suggestions, advice, or moral support would be appreciated and accepted (emails too).

Thanks
Erin (the first time I actually signed my real first name, an honest step)
Old 12-04-2003, 07:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Erin

I don't know for sure, But I would think that after drinking for 5 days it would be safe to detox by yourself, hopefully someone will come along that has had that experience.

don't beat yourself up too bad, if your anything like me it took me a while to learn how to stay sober and work my program, there was a period of time were I just didnt drink no matter what, once I got some of the tools of the program, it became much easier to live sober.

hang in there we CAN do it.

Jay
Old 12-04-2003, 07:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

thank you

thanks for sharing, and showing me that as a "community", we are strong enough, and smart enough to recognize when we falter, and for showing that your, strength, and desire to beat this thing, outweighs the instinctual reaction, to just continue...
i wish i'd be able to answer your question, but i haven't a clue, i wish you more strength...and you inspire me...cloudy
Old 12-04-2003, 07:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lightbulb

Welcome back to recovery Erin...

I did de tox at home with a frined..
So...I will share what helped me.

It took ne about 3 days
to finish the physical withdrawal.

Drink a lot of water... Honey + Orange Juice is also good.

Aspirin for aches.....Cut out caffeine...Eat a soft diet.

Rest is good, sleep is often impossible.

Things I experienced....sweating... shaking ...vomiting... itching ...stomach cramps...blurred vision...head and body aches...nerves twitching..a convulsion..pains in my heart and liver.

ER time....any bleeding...blood pressure swings...heart palpitations...convulsions...hallucinations.

I had been drinking a quart of Scotch daily for a month when I stopped. Also...I was 53.
Old 12-05-2003, 02:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Erin,
Glad you'e here.
I found it interesting how concerned you are about the pain and discomfort of sobering up. All I could think about was how much pain and discomfort there was while I was drinking.

You stated:
"I wasn't drinking, but I wanted to REALLY REALLY BAD!!"

I learned right up front that I had to "want" to "not drink"! I also learned that if I put just half the effort into getting sober as I did into getting drunk, I'd be ok.

Carol gave you some good hints about what to do. I would just add that it might help to keep someone there with you; someone who is sober and has been for a while. Hard candy helps too. Gives you something to suck on and keeps the sugar level up.

Take care.
Keep coming back.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good luck with your recovery,
Old 12-05-2003, 04:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

can I safely detox again without medical intervention?
Hello Erin,

Please go to a doctor. Any advice *anyone* here can give will not be satisfactory in answering your question. Only someone medically trained who can physically examine you and ask all the right questions can give you advise that you should follow.

I don't mean to scare you but there is a good chance detoxing can kill you. I've personally had a seizure and woken up in an ambulance - I had been walking to my car to drive home at the time.

For instance, if someone here advised you to 'Yeah, sure go ahead, I've done that and I'm fine, just eat plenty of chicken soup', would you believe them? And if you did, how on earth could the situation you're in be exactly the same as theirs was?

I was asking the question myself here about a month ago "I'll be fine here to detox at home", search for it if you like. I'm really glad someone really sensible advised me to seek medical advise. I did and I'm doing fine now.

I went to a clinical detox, slipped up on getting out and then a week later went to see the doctor who provided me with a regime of medicine to follow at home, under the supervision of a friend.

That's my experience. I wish you all the best of luck, this place is great for advise on staying sober, probably the friendliest forum on the internet, but please go to a doctor, before ceasing drinking.

Good luck,
Mark.