Notices

Antabuse...what do you think?

Old 10-16-2011, 10:32 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
April,

You are operating on the assumption that if things get better (less stress at work), that you won't want to drink. Ain't so. Self-improvement or life improvement does not lead to abstinence, but abstinence can lead to self-improvement. You are also operating on the assumption that the Addictive Voice (or "The Enemy Voice" in SMART) can be reasoned with or disputed away, which cannot be done, simply because addiction is not an irrational belief, but an indisputable fact. You have threatened it with death, and it intends to survive, regardless of what you think, so to engage with it is futile, because it knows only one answer to every question.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:11 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I've always thought that life/self-improvement would lead to abstinence...that if I weren't alone all the time, I wouldn't drink. I'm gonna have to chew on that one for a while.
As far as REBT engaging the Beast. I can see that. Last week when I got screamed at at work, I sat down and did an ABC. I wrote down that the event made me want to drink and I thought of how wonderful drinking would feel and then I was a lost cause.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:47 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
Or you can decide that no matter how bad your day is, you still won't drink.
I'm going to embroider this, frame it and put it on my wall!

Old 10-16-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Make one for me too OTT.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by AprilMay1895 View Post
Last week when I got screamed at at work, I sat down and did an ABC. I wrote down that the event made me want to drink and I thought of how wonderful drinking would feel and then I was a lost cause.
That might have been a good moment to look at your Change Plan Worksheet, and perhaps to use DISARM.

http://www.smartrecovery.org/resourc...ork/Disarm.pdf
Old 10-16-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Why would anyone rely on a pill that will make them sick if they drink, when they can just not take the pill and drink whenever they want? That has never made any sense to me. If a person truly wants to drink, they are going to drink, and no pill will stop them. They just won't take the pill.
The pill lasts at least a week. You can't decide not to take it and drink the next day. You need to plan it a week or so in advance. This usually means you have enough time to come to your senses and take the next pill.

There seems to be a lot of hate for Antabuse here. My suggestion is to go to your doctor and discuss it. The doctor is in a much better position to decide whether you're a candidate for the treatment than a bunch of keyboard warriors.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

LOL! I don't hate antabuse. I have no experience with it. I was explaining why it didn't make sense to me. Do you always call people names when you don't like what they post?
Old 10-16-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm not talking about you specifically. I'm referring to the general tone of the responses I see in a number of Antabuse threads on here.

Sorry, while I quoted you, that half of my response wasnt directed at you. I can see how it might be construed that way and it was unintended.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:13 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

The problem with disulfiram (Antabuse) is that it is primarily, if not exclusively, a form of aversion therapy, which, while effective over the long-run, does not address the underlying neurological mechanisms of, for instance, craving. For that, you need to directly antagonize the receptors that respond to alcohol, which is what naltrexone and acamprosate (Campral) do.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:45 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I agree with you. It's not a complete treatment by itself. I take both campral and Antabuse. I am also in therapy.

What the Antabuse is doing for me is giving me a chance to explore my triggers with zero fear of relapsing. It's also forcing me to work through them and find healthier solutions.

I've learned a lot about myself that I wouldn't have had the opportunity to do otherwise.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:13 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

I think Antabuse can be helpful in early sobriety, and here is why: how many of us woke up each morning swearing we would never drink again and truly did not want to, only to have changed our mind again that evening (if not earlier). If you have already taken the pill and know you will be violently sick that evening if you drink, you might not drink. So in other words, it could be a help early on in recovery.

You will probably find though, that if you find a doctor who thinks it would benefit you, most feel it should be administered each morning with someone else present.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:19 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Also, I was forced to take Naltrexone and Antabuse. For me, neither were effective and I was only taking them to appease other people. I had already sort of made a decision that losing my kids was not an option, so nothing was going to make me drink again - period. But not everyone is so "lucky" to have that consequences on the forefront of their mind every time a thought arises to drink.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:10 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

You're very smart to seek out and evaluate for yourself the experience of others beforehand. I suggest you do a search for antabuse here and read the many threads through. As you go, tally up those who experienced failure using it and note those who stayed sober on it for even two years.

That will give you a clear indication of what you reasonably can expect. If you find it worked for 20% it's certainly worth a try. If it rarely worked then perhaps it's not what you're looking for.

I'd certainly not encourage you one way or another regarding something like this that has the potential to cause serious damage to your health.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:24 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I personally thought it was 50/50 in that it stopped half my binges. When I was taking it regularly and it was built up in my system I KNEW that I couldn't drink, so BINGO no matter how much I craved, I simply couldn't do it... But also, I learnt over time that when I was running out I could taper off it and start drinking again, blaming my lack of tablets on the relapse.

Also, it only seemed to work efficiently if you take it everyday and it builds up. If you just take it occassionally FOR ME I just had to wait a day or 2 and it was fine to drink, or I could have 1 pint one day, 2 pints the next day, 3 pints the day after etc etc...

I know people use it with Campral but I hated that stuff. It didn't react well with me at all and after a week of taking it it made me feel suicidal and I have NEVER in 31 years of being alive wanted to kill myself apart from when I was taking that stuff!!!! I was literally waking up everyday wondering whether I should take an OD or kill myself... I went to the doc, told him to take me off the Campral within a few days I felt fine again. I am ABSOLUTELY certain that is not the case in general, but for me it was a BIG no-no.

For Antabuse though, I think ironically considering the name, it is too easy to abuse! You can taper it, avoid it, tolerate it, it is too easily manipulated in my opinion. If you self control is 100% rock solid it might work for you, but at the time that I used it, when I was at university surrounded by drinking friends, it only helped some of the time. Just my two penneth.