Notices

hard stuff vs beer

Old 10-15-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hard stuff vs beer

i have a bias towards beer drinkers. i only drank the hard stuff..ugh! i cant get my head around it when i hear of people drinking cases of the stuff to "get drunk" i would occasionaly join "normies" and drink a few so as not to break out the hard stuff and appear odd,but it was not fun for me and would look for the chance to get home or to a bar to get the good stuff! i could never catch the effect i was looking for with beer. Sometimes i would use whitewine for the "morning after" as a calmative,but that was it. I never even used beer to "control" my drinking. Just a thought for 2 cents worth!
Old 10-15-2011, 03:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Whether it was beer or the hard stuff, it killed several of my family members just the same.

I never got to meet either of my paternal grandparents because both were dead from alcoholism before I was born. Both were in their 40's (my grandmother was only 42).

There's no room for bragging rights in alcoholism as far as I'm concerned.

It's all an equal opportunity killer.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Beer is plenty strong enough to cause alcoholism. I was predominately a beer drinker and am an alcoholic.

I never enjoyed spirits, as I liked the drinking as much as the drunkenness. I certainly managed to drink enough to have very negative health consequences.

Alcohol is alcohol.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh you'd love me then. lol I only drink light beer. That's it. I used to drink liquor in college but quickly had to phase it out because the smell of it would immediately induce vomiting. Also, there were several times in college I should've died due to the amount of liquor I consumed or been in jail for the crimes I committed while drunk on it. The past couple years it's been light beer only because I'll pass out before I drink myself to death. Plus I'm what you call one of those "high functioning" alcoholics, staying away from the hard stuff is probably what allowed me the chance to be a drunk AND keep a job. lol What a joyous life!
Old 10-15-2011, 05:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I first got heavy into booze it was Whiskey. Somewhere along the way I started to mix them. Sometime later I went back to only drinking whiskey until I started drinking milk every night to calm my stomach. So then I went back to beer and only beer but ALOT of it. You can get a satisfied buzz if you drink enough of it. In the later years, I simply drank a few double malts to get the extra kick I needed. You know, those nasty cans of really strong fake beer? Yeah that garbage, enough of those and slow drink a few tastys.

So, in answer to your question, I don't think it really matters. It never stopped me either way.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Sudz No More View Post
So, in answer to your question, I don't think it really matters. It never stopped me either way.
Me either. I conducted thousands of alcohol-chemistry experiments. All it ever did for me was to get me drunk slower. The bottom line was, I never stopped before I got drunk.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to think- for years - I wasn't that bad because I hated hard liquor and rarely drank it...but beer and wine still nearly killed me.

Alcohol is alcohol, and just as deadly for people like us, no matter what the variety.

D
Old 10-15-2011, 05:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I would have to say that I did tend to black out less after drinking beer only. It got to the point of only cheap Vodka would do. After 4AM the stores would stop selling & then I resorted to household items, mouthwash, ect... On occassion though I would down a case of beer drinking from 7am-10pm.
I also drank beer sometimes at bars because it was cheaper, of course, I had a pint of vodka in my pocket as well.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I went from connoisseur to common sewer during my active alcoholism....

Grateful I no longer need to drink toxins...:
Old 10-15-2011, 06:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I didn't like the buzz I got from liquor, but I started drinking as one of the 'chug-masters' at H.S. parties, switch to mostly smoking pot during my twenties then back to binge drinking beer through my thirties... There's something about those hops (I guess), but I have also drank (some) liquor throughout the years: vodka and whiskey mostly.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I was strictly a beer drinker but I still managed to drink to blackout many times. If you are an alcoholic, you just don't process alcohol the way non-alcoholics do and you can get just as drunk on beer as anything else. I'd throw up most hard liquor, but I could drink beer all day long.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Post Re: hard stuff vs beer

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
I went from connoisseur to common sewer during my active alcoholism....

Grateful I no longer need to drink toxins...:
Amen...nice humor.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

In the early days it was vodca realizing it caused me blackouts and embarrassment I turned to beer. Beer extended my drinking career. In the end it would do little for me and started to drink shots or cider as well as beer to get more of a buzz. I became very obese from drinking beer. Ate a meal every 2-3 hours. Since quitting I have lost 14kg in almost 6 months. Regardless of what I drank it was to excess I was a binge drinker.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It doesn't matter what you drink, alcohol is alcohol is alcohol. My own family didn't believe me when I told them I'm an alcoholic because "it's just wine." Drunk is drunk, no matter how you get there.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
Whether it was beer or the hard stuff, it killed several of my family members just the same.

I never got to meet either of my paternal grandparents because both were dead from alcoholism before I was born. Both were in their 40's (my grandmother was only 42).

There's no room for bragging rights in alcoholism as far as I'm concerned.

It's all an equal opportunity killer.

So true. although I did drink hard liquor at times,my go-to drink was beer. It is what kicked my ass an what I preferred.Its all booze and it all does the same thing.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

At the end of my drinking, I decided to control my drinking by only having five light beers per day. Actually, I thought I'd quit drinking. It worked for a while. But one day in October I decided to have one beer before going out on a glorious day. 12 beers later I KNEW I was an alcoholic. The point was, I couldn't stop. That was my last drink 20 years ago this month.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Eventually my tolerance to beer got to the point where I would pee every 20 freakin' minutes and felt so disgustingly bloated it was annoying even while drinking. I got up to 223 lbs (172 right now) from beer calories and would drink it so fast I couldn't keep it down and would still only be half drunk. It's no wonder I went to liquor and pills. I know a guy that drinks a case a day, sounds like no fun to me.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have never had beer to "get drunk," it just takes too much... Rum, Jager, and whiskey did the trick though...
Old 10-16-2011, 04:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Anorexia pushed me towards the lower calorie drinks which meant I started off drinking vodka in my teens. I only got into wine when I was 28 or 29. Beer I cannot drink at all. Cider the same. At my worst I still wouldn't drink beer even though there were occasions where it was the only drink available to me and I was desperate for a drink. The smell of it makes me feel ill.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

This is kind of like a heroin addict saying "I have a bias against people who drink alcohol"

We're all killing ourselves, no reason to compete for who's doing it the "best" way!