Notices

hard stuff vs beer

Old 10-18-2011, 02:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I have been bad on both, on many seperate occasions. Personally I think the withdrawal from beer is a LOT worse than from spirits. Just the sheer volume of toxins and trash you put into yourself made coming off it worse for me. Even in a bad binge on Vodka I was drinking a litre a day, but at least I was using fresh orange juice with some vitamins, or some 'normal' mixer. With beer I was drinking maybe 10 litres of stinky, smelly hops and barley and fizzy nasty junk. That SO much more dirt and poison stored in my body to seep out of me and

I think WHEN drinking an alkie is an alkie, but as far as withdrawal goes I found beer withdrawal much more uncomfiortable.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by johnrambo View Post
I got up to 223 lbs (172 right now) from beer calories and would drink it so fast I couldn't keep it down and would still only be half drunk. It's no wonder I went to liquor and pills. I know a guy that drinks a case a day, sounds like no fun to me.
I went from 175 to 240. In the last 9 days, I am down 6lbs.

My last bender, I drank a case and a half a day for six days. Most weeks I was a twelve pack + a day sort.

Personally, I love beer. I love everything about it. Even was a craft brewer for a short period of time in my twenties.

It just does not like me. I agree with almost everyone else here. Booze is booze. I get in just a bad a place no matter if it is beer, tequilla or Jagermeister.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Do You Believe

I love beer and its effects to start. It was not as harsh of a high. I too considered myself as a connoisseur of beer. But as I gained weight and was unable to ingest the required amount I had to start layering in some hard stuff to keep going.

It’s really madness however you get there.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:42 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

At my very worst, I secretly added vodka to my beer in public (party, at home w/ hubby etc) situations so I didn't 'have' to drink as much beer to get a buzz. Sick.. sick..sick.

Obviously alcohol is alcohol.. Growing up, my parents were alcoholics. I didn't *think* they were alcoholics because Mom drank wine, Dad drank beer. Our liquor cabinet was untouched most of the years I lived at home during their drinking career. Course, come to find out, it was a box of wine a day, a case of beer a day.. and their alcoholism affected my life in some very harmful long lasting ways. Fast forward a couple of decades from that home, and I'm drinking liquor, never wine or beer.. but still rationalized that I wasn't an alcoholic because I didn't drink 'all day'. (until i did.).

Really happy to be very far away from both environments.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
MINEr

Beer got me pretty good I must say, then again I would pound down four in the first fifteen minutes after getting off work to get my blood level right. Then I hastened it by adding a shot of Jager to each beer, and soon I was doing three rounds in the same fifteen minutes. Once I hit my level, it was a steady pace of a beer and a shot till I passed out, usually up to six more rounds. Alcohol leads to alcoholism for us, no matter what form it comes in.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I started drinking beer but switched to vodka (cant smell it right, what a joke)? I would have to say my life while drinking beer was just as bad as drinking vodka. Sure beer took a little more work to drink the same amount but in the end, the result was the same. Drunk, then hungover, then drinking again to get rid of the hangover. Man i think about my life then. How horrible it was. My best day drunk back then couldnt compare to a bad day sober now. beer or vodka
Old 10-21-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I drank beer but found that liquor is quicker.

My usual pattern was to drink 3 or 4 beers because I liked the taste and the full feeling. I drank vodka with it to get the appropriate buzz.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:39 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Too funny.

It seems alcoholics can find any excuse to feel superior. I am the first to admit that I suffer from "big shot-ism" myself. I hear it around the rooms of AA often. People who use terms like "chronic" alcoholic as the it's some kind of medal to be worn with pride, as though it lends further credibility to any opinions they may have, people who look scornfully down their noses at people they have deemed to suffer from a mere "acute" alcoholism.

It's all just lol BS.