Notices

Replacing alcohol with food? and Hello! :)

Old 10-14-2011, 03:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Replacing alcohol with food? and Hello! :)

Hi everyone, I posted in the newcomers thread, though technically I've been here since 2008 I left in shame (that ol' familiar fiend) because I'd post drunk, which was unfair on everyone. I am back now, and this time instead of trying it cold turkey and all alone, I've got the the help and support of my doctor, counsellor, my partner and my family. I've got the tools and the team and I really hope that this is my year. Official quit date is 2 October, however I've decided not to dwell on dates - it doesn't matter when I stopped, just that I don't start again.

Regarding the subject heading: I know people do it with smoking, but I've noticed since I stopped drinking almost 2 weeks ago all I seem to do is eat. I used to not eat dinner because I'd be drinking instead, but it seems like I am starving all of a sudden. Is this a normal reaction?
Old 10-14-2011, 03:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

an increased appetite is pretty normal, I think.

I dunno about you but I didn't eat very often or very well when I was drinking...I took a healthy appetite as actually a good sign of healing

D
Old 10-14-2011, 03:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

same here! i have been sober for a week approximately and my appetite has gone through the roof! it worried me a bit, because of the weight gain so i am trying to take it under control, but to be fair....better gain weight than drink myself to death.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

FD....Welcome back.....

With my doctors ok I followed a healthy eating plan I found in
"Under The Influence" by mialam and Ketcham for about 6 months.
Please ask your doctor about hypoglycemia

I'm convinced that it helped me with cravings as well as quickly
getting back in mental and physical wellness...
Old 10-14-2011, 04:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi ForeverDecember

Congrats on your sober time

I also found when I stopped that my appetite was insane.. Even after food I am constantly hungry (which personally for me is a good thing).. When I was drinking I was skipping meals all the time,, in the last stages I was probably only eating something once every couple of days, partly down to the fact that i never had an appetite and when i did, alcohol seemed to be a substitute for food..

I'm incredibly underweight i suppose,, i'm 6'2" and probably only weight 10stone (140 pounds),, so i don't really see my eating as a bad thing.. My metabolism is extremely fast, so even drinking 1000's of calories a day meant i never put any weight on.. im 24 now and i think ive weighed the same since i was about 17 :/
Old 10-14-2011, 06:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

I ate hardly at all, if ever when I was drinking. In fact, I really just ate bits here and there so I would force down the alcohol and not throw up.

I crave sugar a LOT now - and this is coming from a person who has been pretty disinterested in food for most of her life. I think it's in part to all the sugar that's in booze that I was used to.

CarolD, does that book suggest that alcoholics who quit suffer from hypoglycemia more frequently? That would explain a lot.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

When I quit drinking, I had to learn to eat. I was used to drinking my calories instead of eating them, and I was absolutely shocked at the amount I had to eat to replace the absent alcohol calories. It took quite some time for me to get it right, and I lost quite a bit of weight at first (weight I did not need to lose; I'm very petite). At first I focused on sugar-laden foods because I craved them, but in time I was able to back off and learn to eat a good diet.

That is a totally different thing from replacing an addiction to alcohol with an addiction to food, which can also happen. I think it's important to remember that there is a natural process of learning to eat appropriately, and differentiate that from becoming addicted to food.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My sponsor called it "trading up addictions" ... It's very common. If you're concerned perhaps you should find a substitute addiction like fitness or running. But right now, it's best to focus on one addiction at a time....

Good luck!
Old 10-14-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Are you just hungry all the time, or are you eating at the same times, in response to the same stimuli as you used to drink? If you are eating instead of drinking, then you might be substituting. If you are just hungry, then look into the calorie theory, or in the carb issue.

Substituting is very common, and it's true that at first, before we get to addressing the issues behind addiction, it's better to be using something less deadly to ourselves short term than booze or drugs. But in time obesity isolates and kills as well.

Pay attention to what you are eating, when you are eating, are you hungry or binging out of control, those things will help you evaluate what is going on and how best to handle it.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Make sure you get good-quality protein at every meal, and drink lots of water. Going low on protein makes you feel shaky and unsatisfied, and being thirsty can feel like being hungry.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanks all, glad to hear so many theories and that it's not just me!

I used to eat a lot of greasy food in the mornings (soak up the hang over) but as soon as work finished I'd be hungry and drink to quell the hunger pangs...

The sugar theory is perfect! I haven't been able to figure out WHAT I'm craving, because I was never big on sugar, and so that's probably a very good reason for why I can't seem to 'fill up'. I'm going to buy a bunch of healthy food to fill the fridge, and keep track of when and why I'm eating as Threshold advised. I'll buy some fruit and hope that hits the sugar requirements...

I'm not too concerned at the moment, quitting alcohol is more important than gaining weight, but it's good to know that it's a normal part of the journey.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Same here; I never feel full. While drinking I always felt like I had an anvil in my tummy so I never felt hungry.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
positive1

Thank you ForeverDecember for posting this. I'm new to this website/forum & it was amazing to read that someone else out there was struggling with this. I have some type of compulsive eating problem or a substitute for my prior alcohol problem. Not sure how to fix it... I mean I feel it's harder to control your food because you NEED food, whereas you do NOT need alcohol/drugs to live. Any thoughts on how you plan to control portions & sugar cravings?
Old 02-14-2012, 01:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
positive1

Hi NYCdoglvr! I like your idea about trading the overeating with fitness...but it feels so "far away" to do that....I love food (like I used to love alcohol until I gave it up, now I'm addicted to food-binging) It sounds great just saying, 'Hey, why don't I trade the food-binging problem w/ fitness because it's good for me', but actually doing it, is the hard part....
Old 02-14-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
positive1

Hello CarolD!

So do you feel like talking with a doctor about the issue of replacing the alcohol with food is a topic a doctor will take seriously? I have definitely, w/o a doubt replaced alcohol with binge eating & sometimes just flat out ALL day eating. I quit drinking only a short 5 weeks ago, but since then it is intense eating. I felt like my doctor would laugh at me & tell me to QUIT & workout. Food addiction is intense though....any thoughts?
Old 02-14-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome RLEE102803

I definitely think it's something your Dr *should* take seriously.
If they're not, or they don't, maybe it's time to find another Dr?

D
Old 02-14-2012, 02:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I might be wrong but I think your digestive system will adjust to what you're throwing into it so I wouldn't be too concerned about eating habits for now. When you start eating better, you'll feel more energetic anyways. I personally find after a binge I lose my appetite for a day or two then start binge eating. I imagine your body loses a lot of nutrients detoxing and getting rid of the alcohol.

I'm no doctor though so I could be talking out my ass though :$
Old 03-03-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

RLE, it sounds like you're probably dependent on food for emotional nourishment and support, like me. I used to pick at delicious meals while downing bottles of wine and then would binge eat late at night, either blacked out or semi-conscious. Food hangovers can be deadly!!

What I'm trying to say is that for me, addiction is something I participate in, but the substances themselves are interchangeable. As we peel back the layers of the onion, we realize all the different ways that our addicts can fool us and keep us stuck.

If you think that's what going on with you, then you should try going to an Overeater's Anonymous meeting. I was really surprised at how liberating it was to be around people freely talking about their food issues.

Amino acid supplements and avoiding processed foods and sugars can help dramatically reduce physical cravings and keep your mind on as level a playing field as possible. As you work your program and abstain from foods that trigger you, you'll start to feel a lot better.