Notices

Recovery birthday dilemma... (AA)

Old 10-06-2011, 11:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

DT: How did you "pay" for the coins you've received?
Old 10-06-2011, 11:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

by being an active member in the group, by participating in GSR and other related activities, by show up early and staying late to set up and clean up, by contributing cash over and above what I drink in coffee or eat in snacks, by volunteering for service work within the group, by managing the group website/online discussion forum and....for the first 2 I got, I paid the group cash for the coins (the last two were gifts from my sponsor, not the group).

I think, PD, had you thought about that, you wouldn't have had to ask but, as I predicted....many would react emotionally to what I wrote rather than taking the time to consider it.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hudstar,

I say go get the chip. When I went to AA, I always loved seeing folks get their time in and take a chip. It was encouraging for me to see. I saw a woman get her 37th year chip! That really impressed me!

You know you can get a cake too, right? Here, we bring our own cakes to share at the break. I think out here there's a tradition of putting a dollar in the basket for each year too beside whatever one might usually kick in.

Anyway, congrats to you!

Love from Lenina
Old 10-06-2011, 12:01 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Nah DT, I don't feel emotional about. I just have a different opinion. No biggie.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I had this happen too. I was attending AA a couple of times a month when my one-year came up. I didn't have a sponsor and I wasn't working the steps, but I enjoyed being there and I talked to people, helped stack chairs and basked in the environment. I approached one of the elder group members and told him - and I sincerely meant this - that I didn't want any attention. I hadn't committed to the program in a structured way and I didn't feel like I deserved it. I just wanted the one-year chip.

There was no having that. They were giving me a party. "It's not for you," he said. "It's for everyone else in this room who needs inspiration." When he phrased it like that, I agreed.

I shared the anniversary with someone who was celebrating 10 years. Everyone knew and loved the other person, had her over for regular meals, carpooled with her, etc. Everyone got up and said wonderful things about her. When it got to me, all they said was "Welcome to AA" (even though these were people I'd talked to several times over the year) and that they didn't see me very often. Another member sitting next to me whispered a joke to me - "This is like a roast!" I faked a big smile, but it was actually really painful and I haven't gone back since. A couple of months later, one of the group members called and left me a voicemail saying they hadn't seen me. I pondered calling her back and telling her how I felt but I didn't.

What I did hear from everyone, though, is that you don't have to be a regular AA attendee to get a chip. It was great to commemorate it with an actual event, and a chip in your hand. It was still an important thing for me to do. If you want to do it, I encourage you to do it. Like my counsellor said once, "How do they know how many other meetings you go to?" And most of all, congrats on your one year!
Old 10-07-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks to all for your thoughts.

Whether I go or not to a meeting for my chip or not, I've decided to commemorate my 1 year with an engraved ring. It will simply read: "One". As in 'one year sober', 'one month/day/minute/second at a time', 'one drink and I'm back in hell again', 'One moment to live in', 'One life, live it well'; whatever I need it to mean at the time.

That said, in the spirit of some of your responses I think I will go to the meeting because I remember earlier in the year seeing other people receive their one year chips and thinking "Damn, maybe I can do this too...".
Old 10-07-2011, 04:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I got my 4 month chip today and it felt great. Cant wait to get my 1 year! Will enjoy getting all those other monthly ones in between though.

Go get that 1 year chip - you deserve it!

:day2
Old 10-07-2011, 07:15 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Hudstar...love the "one" ring! What a great idea.

and for the record, I like to literally "mark" occasions lol...get a tat
Old 10-08-2011, 02:41 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Hudstar...love the "one" ring! What a great idea.

and for the record, I like to literally "mark" occasions lol...get a tat
Lol. you got a tat? What was it?
Old 10-08-2011, 04:48 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
~sb

Just don't tat your sober date...a friend did that, then went back out.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:04 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I have several, but the 2 "recoveryish" ones are "to thine own self be true" across my back and a wrist band with some devanagari script (love, freedom, peace, balance, compassion). The rest have to do with my kids, family, etc.

It seems to me another member, soberjennie, had a beautiful bracelet made that was significant to her recovery. I think there are pics in the secular section? That's also another cool idea (like the "one" ring)
Old 10-08-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Just don't tat your sober date...a friend did that, then went back out.
Reminds me of a guy I knew in high school. He got a huge straight edge tattoo across his chest as well as his back. Very next week he started drinking and doing drugs.
He was not the brightest bulb I must say.