Notices

My brother is in liver failure

Old 10-04-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My brother is in liver failure

im new here and i just found out my brother is in liver failure. he is in the hospital in intensive care. my mother is with him.... i live 2000 miles away and have a family with 4 little ones to take care of.

i cant do anything. he has been drinking for 20 years and taking pain pills for awhile too. he is only 41. i am at a loss.
how does a person get to this place.... ?

i don't know why i wrote this.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Amies, sorry you are having to deal with this and from such a distance, I'm sure it must be very difficult. I think everyone is different, some people drink heavy for 40-50+ years and don't go into liver failure, I had a sister-in-law in her early 30s that went into liver failure and none of us even knew she was a heavy drinker, you just never know. I was near liver failure in 2007 due to a prescription drug overdose. The drugs contained acetiminophen which burned a hole in my liver, acetiminophen/tylenol can cause liver damage even in moderate drinkers. I hope your brother pulls through.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Welcome to SR, amies. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this knowledge. I know it isn't easy as I've been there.

I think you wrote this because you are in pain and feel helpless. That is entirely normal and any non-addict feels that way. Addicts get to this place because they are addicted to alcohol or drugs or both. Many people become addicted to prescribed medication. Add alcohol to the mix and it takes a terrible toll on the body.

Please feel free to post as often as you want. We are here to support you. Do some reading around, especially in our Friends and Families fourms. You will find that this is not uncommon, and be sure to read the stickie posts at the top of the forum. There is a lot of helpful information there.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi. Nice to meet you, although I'm sorry about the circumstances.

I too was in the hospital with a failing liver, complete jaundice from top to bottom, yellow as a neon sign .. and in very bad shape. I pulled through AND it was the wake-up call I needed to stop drinking forever. In a twisted way (or maybe not so twisted), I am thankful that that happened to me.

I wish the same for your brother ... Hopefully they can get him in working order again and he will recover and have another chance to take his life in a great new direction.... I can imagine how helpless you must feel from so far away, but remember prayers or positive vibes and thoughts are wonderful things and do go a long way ... Stay positive for him.

Hang in there, and please keep talking about it on here, and keep us posted ... it helps to talk it out, especially among those who understand.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your brother. I hope that his situation improves.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for this and I know you wish you could travel there and be a comfort.

I have had this in my family as well. It is a sad and anxious time with many questions that may not get answered.

There is a ton of information all around on this board and very precious personal support.

I hope he makes it.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Amies, I am so sorry for the circumstances that brought you here, but am glad you found us.

I don't know how you get to here other than active alcoholism is ugly. Several of my family members, including my paternal grandparents, have died before their time due to alcohol.

I will certainly say a prayer for your brother, and I hope you continue to post.

Sending you hugs of support!
Old 10-04-2011, 02:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayers for comfort going out to all who love your brother...
Sorry to know he has become so very sick.