Notices

Alcoholic Traits, Characteristics

Old 09-30-2011, 11:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic Traits, Characteristics

Do you think that there are certain traits that are more prevalent in alcoholics as compared to the general population? Some examples I can see in myself is that I always had a tendency to get intensly interest in things then lose interest just as fast. Always did everything to the extreme, sort of an all or nothing at all approach to most things. Impulsivity, including impulse buying, was also a biggie. Was always an animal lover, dogs, cats was always taking in the strays. Can anyone relate to this topic or am I all wet on this one?
Old 09-30-2011, 12:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh boy, I'm excited for this topic! lol I was just wondering the same. I definitely am impulsive. I also get really interested in things and then just randomly stop being interested all at once. I am a perfectionist...all or nothing. Like you, I love animals...I've always seemed to have more compassion for animals than I do for people. lol Oh, and I've never understood what people mean when they say they are enjoying their life and hope to live a long, long time.

In AA I remember everyone saying that all alcoholics are too selfish. I got pretty upset about this because if there's anyone who hated me the most, it sure is me! But I understand what they mean. I'm way too focused on myself, I imagine if I spent more time focusing on things other than myself, I wouldn't get so wound up. I mean every time I drink, it's based on how I feel. If I didn't care so much about how I feel, I wouldn't have the desire to change how I feel and I don't think I'd drink.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Maybe a more intensified and constant feeling of righteous indignation? Feeling like life should be better and people should act better/differently.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, I agree with you Freethinking. I definitely partake in a lot of that!
Old 09-30-2011, 12:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, I am the same way. Very impulsive, all or nothing. When I get into working out, I become obsessed with it. Then I will star drinking again and that becomes my obsession. Working on getting the working out part to be the only obsession these days.
I also have a tendency to quit things once they get too hard. I should have like five degrees at this point, just can't seem to finish any school I start. Really pissed away a lot of money that way,lol.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't believe that we have different personalities, taken as a whole, than anyone else.

Just an opinion.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I guess kind of what I always wondered was if the aspect of getting intensly interested in things then losing interest wasn't a manifestation of switching addictions, say from drinking to diet, exercise, work, school or whatever.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
Do you think that there are certain traits that are more prevalent in alcoholics as compared to the general population?
I think the only common trait is an addiction to alcohol.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I could see the intense interest as an addiction type of thing...maybe a sort of distraction too. I've done the intense exercise thing or intense diet restriction a few times and it usually happens after some sort of rejection or loss of attention for me. It's like I identify a problem in my life, freak out and then go drown myself in the solution for awhile until I can't take it anymore and then I either go back to where I was before or try something different. It's neurotic. lol
Old 09-30-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There could be a chicken/egg problem.

Drinking alcoholics seem to have a lot in common: We lied, snuck around, chewed minty gum, tried to walk straight, pretended to be sober, hid our true selves, jumped into things, jumped out of things, spent stupidly, hurt people, failed our friends, etc.

But sober alcoholics? I think are quite an amazing array of wonderfully different personalities. Just my experience.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

.... Can anyone relate to this topic or am I all wet on this one?
I have heard many opinions about what is typical alcoholic traits and saw many of these in many of my fellow alkies . Some of them I bought into until I became a OTR truck driver and saw the same traits in my fellow drivers. There is little chance that truck drivers are mostly alcoholics because they are subject to frequent drug tests (I had 4 my first year).

I have since found that if I take any group's inventory, I see these same traits only because that is what I am looking for. I am projecting my expectations on others because I feel a need to be right.

"All expectations are seeds for resentment".
Old 09-30-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hmm, interesting. I think all different types of people become hooked on alcohol. But I do have some of the traits you mentioned, I either do stuff intensely and go all out or don't do them at all. Not a very calm and balanced person. Tend to be impulsive as well, more so when I was younger, I try to think a bit more now before I take big risks, but I still do stuff like impulse shopping for a zillion things I don't need...
And I'm a BIG animal lover=)
Old 09-30-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
High on Life

I don't buy into this theory.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My old sponsor used to say that we alcoholics are champions at beating the sh*t out of ourselves and that everyone wants to be liked but we alcoholics REALLY wanna be liked.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

I dunno but these are some of mine:

A reliance on my old default modes: resentment and self-pity.

Stretching the truth - exaggerating, leaving out details, concealing, which I think can be more destructive than lying sometimes.

A flair for the dramatic and creating chaos to provide a smokescreen to what may really be going on.

A penchant for narcissism and selfishness.

Of course, when drunk, I said and did things I cannot remember - lacking accountability.

:day6

I hope someday I can leave these all behind.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by babycat View Post
Yeah, I am the same way. Very impulsive, all or nothing. When I get into working out, I become obsessed with it. Then I will star drinking again and that becomes my obsession. Working on getting the working out part to be the only obsession these days.
I also have a tendency to quit things once they get too hard. I should have like five degrees at this point, just can't seem to finish any school I start. Really pissed away a lot of money that way,lol.
Wow this is me.

I changed majors three times because they got too hard. Ended up with a bacherlors degreee that is three minors that=a Major.

All or nothing for me.

At a couple different times, was very into working out. Spent tons of money on supplements and everything. Had a program and chart to track progress (I saw good progress too) three different times, I stopped. Mainly to drink or just got lazy because of drinking.

I am a people pleaser. I don't want anyone to dislike me.

I am too concerned with what others think of me.

I also want every women to want to **** me and every guy to look up to me.

I feel like I was not given credit that was deserved (not sure what credit really was deserved)

When telling a story, I would see others reactions and I would sometimes make details up to make the story more interesting. Not all the time, but i have don't it more than once.

certainly implusive

sometimes either really high on myself or really down on myself. Never really had a healthy middle balance.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi everyone...

In the interest of keeping this thread on track and not being hi jacked
some post have been removed...includeing 2 of my own...

Always best to share in our Alcoholism Forum about your own alcoholism and recovery.
We do have other Forums for observers to share on.
:
Old 09-30-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Do you think that there are certain traits that are more prevalent in alcoholics as compared to the general population? Some examples I can see in myself is that I always had a tendency to get intensly interest in things then lose interest just as fast. Always did everything to the extreme, sort of an all or nothing at all approach to most things. Impulsivity, including impulse buying, was also a biggie. Was always an animal lover, dogs, cats was always taking in the strays. Can anyone relate to this topic or am I all wet on this one?
Pretty much me to a tee!
Old 09-30-2011, 10:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
I don't believe it's all unique to alcoholics, but certainly defensiveness coupled with a tendency to blame others (especially as it manifests itself in denial that one has a problem with drinking) is one trait that comes to my mind.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule, but there are definitely similarities between many of us.

Selfishness -- whether recognized as such or not -- seems to be the most prevalent recurring trait, IME.