# 21 (permalink)  

O
Old 10-02-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

K
Old 10-02-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
~sb

People go out when not moving from 4-9. Stopping the action to move forward. I know that stopping at 4 5 6 or 7 would hurt me, if I don't continue action.

After moving into 9, I kept attending my local meetings. Same people...steps 1 2 3. I was feeling confused & funky. I shared at home group. Immediately after tbe meeti.g, my sponsor says, "We need to talk, Now!" And I realized I had to stop listening to that 1 2 3 stuff...I had moved from self centered to other centered, but was hearing self centered stuff...well, that's the gist of our talk. I stopped feeling confused & funky and have changed to some other meetings.

Now I choose my meetings carefully, or if I want to connect with some friends, I listen carefully and "discuss in my head" so I can get right when I call my sponsor.

We are a different, if slower is ok, do it. For me, to slip & drink is to die. I'll stick with my sponsor. (my local meetings are geat for newcomers & mushy brains, mostly group therapy & less serious step stuff-judged by the people in & out not working on much...my judgement). I can't tell you how to do the steps, just that I know my sponsor & certain people & sponsors I stick with stick close to back to basics)
Old 10-02-2011, 08:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
~sb

And to add, the promises, as printed & read at meetings, are the 9th step promises. There are 12 step promises, plus more, in the big book.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:48 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
~sb

I just had a realization---the meetings I'm having difficulty with is due to what I believe is that they are called aa meetings, but in reality are aa/na meetings. Wow, I'd explain more, but I just realized the members are attempting to reach all of the slip signers & newcomers. When my foundation is more solid & I have more time, knowledge & experience, I may be able to add to those discussions without being so judgemental.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:07 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Cool

"...Sometimes Quickly, Sometimes Slowly
(which is in the Big Book, and the program is in the Big Book)..."

Yes, that's true; sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly IS is in the BB, but it is NOT referring to how one works the steps.

The 'sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly' in the BB is referring to the promises and when they come true once the peron is halfway through working his/her ninth step.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 10-02-2011, 12:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
~sb

I thought this thread more appropiate in the 12 step forum.

A link, delete if I broke a rule...

ADR Recovery: Early AA and Fundamentals
Old 10-02-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
"...Sometimes Quickly, Sometimes Slowly
(which is in the Big Book, and the program is in the Big Book)..."

Yes, that's true; sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly IS is in the BB, but it is NOT referring to how one works the steps.

The 'sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly' in the BB is referring to the promises and when they come true once the peron is halfway through working his/her ninth step.

(o:
NoelleR
Yes, but (at least in the very large city where I live) we recite this at every meeting. There is a reason.

Either way, I don't believe it is my place to judge anyone else's speed with the steps, be it the 9th or the first.

In my experience thus far, and based on the suggestions I have received here in the bay area community of AA, the best way to work the steps is to get a sponsor who has worked the steps who has a sponsor who has worked the steps who has a sponsor..etc

We all have the ability to ask every potential sponsor "how did you work the steps?" and "do you have a sponsor?"

I believe this discussion is dysfunctional and, in itself, not in the spirit of AA. I do not see how invoking "you should work the steps this way" is of any help whatsoever to the suffering alcoholic.

Therefore, I am not going to participate any further. I am thankful for being able to participate. And thankful also that this thread points out to me that i have made more progress than I realize.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Personally, it was important for me to get through the steps the first round as a survey and introduction. It was about 1 step a month approximately. I recently 'did' step 12 with my sponsor.

For me, getting through the steps the first time was just getting acquainted with the program, so a faster pace (if 8 months was fast). Since I need to think about them for the rest of my life.

I do feel that 1 step a year for a newcomer is wayyy too long. But a year a step after the initial lap, may work well. It all depends I suppose. But getting an idea what it's about by a quick run through worked for me.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:19 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

My issue was in others believing my sincerity in making amends so early in my recovery after dragging the people who really loved me through years of pain, let downs, and lies.