Notices

When near death, would you drink?

Old 09-29-2011, 01:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I would accept the shots, but I secretly wouldn't drink them, then I would pretend to be drunk off my butt and lure the guard into my cell, then I would put him in the sleeper hold and render him unconscious. I would then put on his uniform and sneak out using his cell keys, and drive his vehicle out of the prison. Once out I would call my old gang and we would get back together and rob banks using past presidents masks as disquises during the winter, then I would fly to a remote island and live a sober life like a king and surf everyday......That's what I would do!
Old 09-29-2011, 01:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Impossible for me to answer with any realy knowledge or certainty, but at this point in time, if it were right now, today, this moment, no, i would not have a drink.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Even before i got sober i wouldn't have drunk in that situation as my life would be coming to an ending soon anyway so why bother!
Old 09-29-2011, 01:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Threshold
and have as much sex as was humanly possible.
LOL ok but in this scenario there's only the prison guard available right? Hope he or she has the stamina LOL

Originally Posted by Supercrew
I would accept the shots, but I secretly wouldn't drink them, then I would pretend to be drunk off my butt and lure the guard into my cell, then I would put him in the sleeper hold and render him unconscious. I would then put on his uniform and sneak out using his cell keys, and drive his vehicle out of the prison. Once out I would call my old gang and we would get back together and rob banks using past presidents masks as disquises during the winter, then I would fly to a remote island and live a sober life like a king and surf everyday......That's what I would do!
HAHAA ok this is the best answer ever...
Old 09-29-2011, 02:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Probably, but then again, I've surprised myself in sobriety by dong things I had considered improbable for me at the time. I don't really know what I'd do, but the only thing I have to measure by is my past track record, then I'd say "probably".
Old 09-29-2011, 03:05 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
orangutan

I'd like to say no, but knowing me I probably would.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

No.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:46 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

No, but I would take the brownies and ice cream mentioned above!
Old 09-30-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm not sure what I'd do. I know I'd consider having the drinks for sure. But I also feel that by getting wasted I wouldn't be "true" - to myself, my family, or to Him (God, higher power, etc.) ... and, because of those reasons, I think I'd probably opt out of the drinks and go forward sober and "real" .... Besides, one thing I definitely would NOT want is my family having to go on with their lives with their last memory of me lying there, drinking my way into death.

But I can't say for sure.

Edit: YES to the brownies and ice cream ..
Old 09-30-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Yes, I always liked whisky, so I would want to experience the taste and buzz one last time.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:16 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I have a very special bottle of bourbon, and yeah, if I know I am on my way out, I am going to have a shot a day, not to get wasted, but to savor the taste. I'd also eat a lot of brownies and ice cream and have as much sex as was humanly possible.
lol.... Drunk, stuffed full of brownies and ice cream, and about to die. Who could resist you?

I wouldn't drink. You only die once. Might as well take it all in.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:32 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
lol.... Drunk, stuffed full of brownies and ice cream, and about to die. Who could resist you?

I know right? the sad/scary thing is that I know from experience that I could find takers! lol
Old 09-30-2011, 06:18 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
High on Life

When I really didn't appreciate my sobriety I would think about this situation and all the drugs and alcohol that I would consume. Even kind of salivate about it. However, now that I have come to respect and appreciate what I have achieved, I wouldn't want to spend the last moments of my life a miserable loser, putting poisons in my body, trying to achieve some sort of artificial feeling to replace my true being. Hell to the No!!! LMFAO. SOBRIETY ROCKS

Old 09-30-2011, 06:27 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I think that even if I had a terminal illness I wouldn't want to go out that way. Whenever I think about drinking now I think of the living hell of withdrawal as opposed to the brief pleasure of the first few drinks.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:02 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

No, I want to be sober when I meet my higher power.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

I found out 3 weeks ago that I have a rather rare form of cancer and so I actually have had a chance to weigh this question for real.

Oct 15Th will be 12 years sober and Oct 10Th is when I am scheduled to have a majority of my stomach removed and then on the 20Th begin Chemo.

The 15Th is still the most important date in October, therefore I will do as I have these past 4300 plus days;I AM GOING TO WAIT UNTIL TOMORROW COMES before I have my next drink. Funny, every day I wake up it is today so I wait for tomorrow again!

I am really optimistic that I will have many more years, but if that doesn't turn out to be the case, I want to enjoy the ones I do have and that seems to be better sober.

Put me down as a NO

Jon
Old 09-30-2011, 08:33 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I've had enough of jail, and since I live my life so I won't ever go BACK, much less death row, I'd say no. However, I have thought about if I'd been diagnosed with a deadly disease and had limited time on this earth what I'd do. My gut says I'd do like my mom and my cousin...be grateful for every day I have, be ready to go and at peace when it's time.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-30-2011, 08:40 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nightsd View Post
Say that you're in prison, on death row. You will be executed in two weeks. The governor has denied you pardon, the whole nine yards.

Then, SOMEHOW, you find a guard that will give you shots of whiskeybecause the guard likes you and feels sorry for you.

Would you take the drinks?
I only have 130 days sober after drinking nearly everyday for 33 years but I have given this type of senerio quite a bit of thought recently due to the fact that I have a lot of fear right now that I could be dying.

It is a little impossible for me to say right now that I will never drink again but I do feel that if I knew I was dying then it would be even easier to say so.

I do not want to die a drunk. There would be more a chance of me losing my sobriety due to some sort of extreme good times then if I was facing death.

The more serious I feel about life then the more I reject alcohol as an option.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:46 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jfanagle View Post
I found out 3 weeks ago that I have a rather rare form of cancer and so I actually have had a chance to weigh this question for real.

Oct 15Th will be 12 years sober and Oct 10Th is when I am scheduled to have a majority of my stomach removed and then on the 20Th begin Chemo.

The 15Th is still the most important date in October, therefore I will do as I have these past 4300 plus days;I AM GOING TO WAIT UNTIL TOMORROW COMES before I have my next drink. Funny, every day I wake up it is today so I wait for tomorrow again!

I am really optimistic that I will have many more years, but if that doesn't turn out to be the case, I want to enjoy the ones I do have and that seems to be better sober.

Put me down as a NO

Jon
My heart and prayers go out to you. I very much hope that you can bring us good news of your recovery. I very much admire your resolution towards your sobriety though facing this news about your health. Be strong!!!! Be serene!!!

You are in my prayers!
Old 09-30-2011, 08:52 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry to hear your news Jon but I know you'll meet this challenge with your customary grace and courage.

I sincerely hope you'll have many more years with us too

D