SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Greetings SB. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/237401-greetings-sb.html)

omniscience 09-27-2011 04:23 AM

Greetings SB.

Hey, I wasn't initially certain on where to post but I found that the description on this specific board suited my circumstances most.

well, what to say... I'm 21 years old and I have began to drink heavily over the past year and a half. My only decent explanation so far is that I was diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum when I was 10 years old and spent most of my childhood life being bullied, demoralized and harassed by my peers. My father has never been a help based on the fact that never once in my life has he accepted my condition or that my brain is wired differently to his... which has made me very depressed because for a parent, I feel that is wrong... I feel that parents should love you unconditionally since they decided to give birth to me. But anyway... my father has been a heavy drinker for a really long time... which has led to him being very abusive towards me from 4 years old onwards... I just don't want this to have a grip of me anymore, I don't want to sucumm to being it's well... for lack of a better word... 'bitch'

So yeah, just thought I'd join here, meet some folks going through similar scenarios/experiences and share whatever insight I can.

ReadyAndAble 09-27-2011 07:11 AM

Hi, omni, welcome to SR. It sounds like you're ready to quit drinking. You'll find a lot of support and ideas here. :)

You might also want to check out SR's friends and family of alcoholics forums here: Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Glad you found us. :)

CarolD 09-27-2011 07:34 AM

I'm glad you are heading into a sober future ..Welcome...:wavey:

It's always wise to get medical assistance when de toxing from alcohol...expecially
if you are useing any meds for other conditions.

Image101 09-27-2011 07:46 AM

Hi omni...I was an alcoholic at 21. I only started drinking at 18/19. I'm finally sober at 24 (2 months).

I think it's good that you're coming here to question your drinking habits. I was convinced that other drugs were my problem, not alcohol...turned out alcohol was causing almost ALL my problems. At 21, particularly, it's hard to accept the fact that drinking is a problem because so many people of the age group drink.
Alcoholism is progressive; it will always get worse if you continue drinking. If your father has a drinking problem, a genetic component could be at play as well, which would increase your chances of developing alcohol dependance.
It can sneak up on your, omni...keep aware of your habits and feelings, and keep posting on SR as we are always here to support you.

hirsty 09-27-2011 08:37 AM

congratulations on joining omniscience.. Tis nice to see some other young people on here,, i'm 24 and have had quite a big drinking problem since the age of 16/17.. certainly turned into daily drinking from the age of 18 when i went to university, and then turned into quite serious alcoholic drinking from the age of 21 upwards.. I was 24 last month and after two failed medical detoxes (I always thought it would be possible to drink like the rest of my peers again -- unfortunately it's not) decided to do detox round 3 with a local community alcohol team, involving a nurse visiting me twice a day to administer Librium / check my heart rate etc.. If you've been drinking daily for a while I definitely suggest speaking to a doctor before you come off alcohol, the withdrawals can be horrible and potentially fatal!!

I hope to see more of you two around here, because it would be nice to discuss a few things with you.. I for instance am 9 days sober and i'm embracing AA meetings (although I am the youngest person there by at least 10 years),, but I'm not entirely sure where to get some answers, like, how do you go about dating etc? Every girl I've ever had a relationship with/slept with has been the result of meeting them in night clubs etc,, nightclubs at the moment seem to be quite a dangerous place for me to visit.. Most of my friends have been supportive with my decision, but I still enjoy going out, and it certainly is a very different experience going out with my mates who do still drink "normallly" albeit binge drinking on weekends.

Nice to see you here

totfit 09-27-2011 11:21 AM

Welcome. You say "my only decent explanation......". Well, sometimes there is no explanation other than we just can't drink normally (whatever that is) and there may be no "cause". That is just the way we are. Alcohol just affects us in a negative way. Heck, eating peanuts will kill some of us, so why is it so hard to understand that alcohol can give some of us a bad reaction also.

There were a few early years that I though I was smarter than the average bear, so surly if "they" could drink right so could I. Then I went through several years of wondering what was "causing" me to drink the way I did. Eventually, I finally realized it was as simple as "drinking" was "causing" me to drink the way I did. I even over-complicated that with a myriad of solutions when the solution was pretty simple. Just don't drink. We are all here in the same game, we just have slightly different sets of cards. We just have to play best with what we have. Glad you are taking a look at your drinking issue. If you are like me it will get worse. Only not drinking makes it better.

omniscience 09-27-2011 01:56 PM

Hey again guys, thanks for the warm welcome. In response to the most recent post... yeah... truth be told it isn't really an excuse at all. But I've really slipped into a habit that I seem to not be able to escape from... I spontaneously decided today to search through google for a support community and this was pretty much my first result. Seems to be a fantastic message board, I'm really in admiration over everybody's support for one another. I've actually drank around 11 beers today, no idea why. :tapping

but like one of the specific responses earlier, could be scientific genetics from my father. I have no idea really, I don't know what's concrete evidence or not, all I know is that I've depended on alcoholic substances for too long and it must stop. Thanks for all the pleasant welcomes, much love.

artsoul 09-27-2011 07:59 PM

welcome omni -

So glad you're here..... a lot of us are getting our lives back after drinking, and you can too! Keep reading and posting......:a122:

hirsty 09-28-2011 01:23 AM

Hi Omniscience,, try and get hold of a copy of a book called "Under The Influence" on Amazon or somewhere..

In my opinion reading this book will instantly make you realise whether you are an alcoholic or not.. When I read that book my eyes were opened, the issue was forced and there was no hiding anymore.. Was from reading that book I took those steps once again to get myself back to my doctor, get on a detox, and get myself into AA!

Good luck to you.

NYCDoglvr 09-28-2011 04:12 AM

A warm welcome, Omniscience. Ditto, "Under the Influence" is terrific. And a very good resource is HBO's series "Addiction". The web site has interviews with experts and recovering alcoholics.

sugarbear1 09-28-2011 07:21 AM

Welcome!