Notices

Powerlessness

Old 09-28-2011, 12:02 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Terminally Unique-

How do you think people would if they were actually power less over their DOC?
Old 09-28-2011, 12:07 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

If you cut to the chase isn't the real question "Does the concept of powerlessness supersede free will". From a biological point of view we know that very real changes occur in the brain in addictions. The screwed up brain chemistry, the THIQ and all the other things that can be proven by modern science make it crystal clear that the cravings are very real and often overpowering for the addict. But again is it really fair to put forth the proposition that intense cravings overpower free will?
Old 09-28-2011, 12:12 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by MickeyAnMeisce View Post
How do you think people would if they were actually power less over their DOC?
How would they what?
Old 09-28-2011, 12:16 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
How would they what?
Proof read before posting.

How would people behave if they were powerless over their DOC?
Old 09-28-2011, 12:24 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
Heck, just the mention of there being anything more powerful than the typical alkie sends most of them running like they're on fire.
This has always seemed quite the reverse to me...almost everyone I have known with a drinking problem seems to operate from the standpoint that they are helpless in a world of forces more powerful than they are, and in this sense, they 'give up', and resign themselves to drinking, to being dis-empowered as opposed to empowered. In an existential sense, 'alcoholic' seems to be a kind of life-script or 'game' played from the standpoint of 'I am powerless, thus I am blameless.'

The idea that there are things more 'powerful' than me has never been one I have questioned: Hurricanes, earthquakes, atomic bombs, armies, growing old and one day ceasing to live, the inability to 'cure' various diseases such as caner, the random nature of how things happen, the forces of entropy and decay, chaos theory, evolution, the big bang, high-tension power-lines with millions of volts of electricity are all things I would consider more powerful than me, to name a few.

I am not sure why it is so often said people with a drinking problem think there is nothing more powerful than themselves, as I have seldom if ever noted an example of this line of thinking.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:52 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
Sure, some of the God talk in recovery makes me crazy too, TU... Heretical? IDK.
No legitimate religion advocates the surrender of free will in order to restrain base urges, certainly not to a Styrofoam cup, a doorknob, a bedpan, a coke can, a radiator, a light bulb, or a group of drunks. I think you mentioned before that you are Catholic, so I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions from the following, but it doesn't sound like powerlessness to me.

From Catechism of the Catholic Church, Part Three, Section One, Chapter One, Article 3 ("Man's Freedom"):

1730 God created man a rational being, conferring on him the dignity of a person who can initiate and control his own actions. "God willed that man should be 'left in the hand of his own counsel,' so that he might of his own accord seek his Creator and freely attain his full and blessed perfection by cleaving to him."
Man is rational and therefore like God; he is created with free will and is master over his acts.
1734 Freedom makes man responsible for his acts to the extent that they are voluntary. Progress in virtue, knowledge of the good, and ascesis enhance the mastery of the will over its acts.

1737 An effect can be tolerated without being willed by its agent; for instance, a mother's exhaustion from tending her sick child. A bad effect is not imputable if it was not willed either as an end or as a means of an action, e.g., a death a person incurs in aiding someone in danger. For a bad effect to be imputable it must be foreseeable and the agent must have the possibility of avoiding it, as in the case of manslaughter caused by a drunken driver.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:28 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

If I had to guess, precisely as they do in recovery groups today, engaging in endless rituals to ward off the desire to get drunk or high. Either that or simply resigning themselves to their fate like the character Ben Sanderson in "Leaving Las Vegas."
Old 09-28-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Yes, yes, I know, I'm killing real alcoholics. The thing is, if someone is truly powerless over their desire to drink, what I say won't matter, will it? They will reach their own conclusion soon enough.

One of the interesting things I discovered is that many of the by-the-book solution-based AA types don't seem to mind my message. Some have even (secretly) told me to keep it up, intuitively sensing that it trims the fat, so to speak.
I didn't suggest you're killing alkies..... and I like your message.........

What I said was give it some thought.

...and believe me, I'm far less dogmatic than I appear.

What I'm suggesting is that while they may reach their own conclusion soon enough.......they may not. And even if they DO reach it sooner or later, why would I want to have anything to do with prolonging someone's happiness?

I went to a funeral this past Sunday evening for a 24yr old who never was able to reach the conclusion that he was powerless over booze and heroine. I didn't know him personally but his dad is a friend of mine in recovery. He (the son) was in therapy, went through rehab 3x I believe (maybe 2....), had support groups, even hit up some meetings....... he was convinced he could, one of these days, think himself into sobriety.

All I'm saying is that maybe......for some ppl.....telling them to "just swim......swim.......you can do it.......ca-mon.....SWIM!!!" isn't going to work - IF they don't know how to swim - in other words.....if they don't have the ability (aka - the power) to swim. If that's the case......and we never know who those folks are in advance.....then we all need to mind the message we're carrying. It's just something to be cognizant of. It's something I try to be cognizant of anyway.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:50 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by HuskyPup View Post
I am not sure why it is so often said people with a drinking problem think there is nothing more powerful than themselves, as I have seldom if ever noted an example of this line of thinking.
Heh.... I'll give you that ppl SAY they're not the be-all and the end-all......but watch their actions. Often that'll tell you a completely different story.

Simplistically, if I say I'm a good guy and that I'd never rob you......but then I rob you the next day......what's the reality? Obviously, that I'm a thief. Even though I've told you and everyone around me that I'm not. Heck.....I probably don't even believe I'm a crook......even as I'm in the act of robbing you blind. ---> that's the sort of stuff I "see" all the time in recovery circles. Folks being 100% convinced of one thing but, in their actions, proving something altogether different.

I see this sort of stuff all the time in AA - among the "solid" members as well as the newcomers. Hell, I see it in my OWN darn life all the time too - bouts of hypocrisy based upon a delusion.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I don't get how it follows that someone had no free will because they made bad choices.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:06 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
I don't get how it follows that someone had no free will because they made bad choices.
heh.....good that you don't see that......cuz it doesn't make sense and it's not reality.

there is, however, a difference between losing free will and not having the ability to make certain choices.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:19 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

STOP MAKING SENSE!

You are making the assumption that alcohol-ISM makes sense. I myself am powerless over alcohol because I have lost the power of choice when it comes to picking up that first drink.

So does that mean I must drink again? If "I" were the only power between me and the first drink, I would have to drink it. It makes no sense what-so-ever how am staying sober. My sobriety is a by-product of spiritual fitness. When I am spiritually fit, the "Addictive Voice" is dead silent. It does not even begin to tempt me. The spiritual solution that I have found has nothing to do with me drinking or not-drinking. The need for me making the choice in the first place is simply no longer there. If you want to make sense of that, good luck. It is a Zen concept:

DON"T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!

:rotfxko
Old 09-28-2011, 02:29 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
The spiritual solution that I have found has nothing to do with me drinking or not-drinking. The need for me making the choice in the first place is simply no longer there.
I could also add that if one HAS power of their drug of choice....then it's truly a drug of choice.

If, on the other hand, one is powerless and/or has lost the power or choice....it's no longer a drug of choice but a drug of no-choice.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Wow... This is gettin' good!!! Thanx everyone.

Yes, as I understand free will, in a religious context anyway... we must come to God of our own free will... and that as we live in the spirit, we do so by our own free will.

So, then does Free Will = Power? If we have free will, then do we by definition have the power to always make the right choice? Is alcoholism, willed? Certainly it is an effect...

I don't know, I am just asking the questions. If we as recovering alcoholics in the 12 step program, cede our will to our higher power (as per Boleo), in terms of our alcoholism (or cravings as per BacktoSquareOne), isn't that an act of free will?

I hope that made some sense... I am getting in over my head theologically and philosophically, though I am enjoying the discussion.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:06 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

It seems to be a bit of an oxymoron to suggest that one can have free will and be powerless at the same time. It is however obvious that diseases of addiction can greatly diminish ones capacity to make rational decisions, the pull of the addiction can be very compelling.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:18 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
So, then does Free Will = Power?
That is such a deep question that only a Cabalist would even try to answer it.

To give you an idea what Cabalism would say of free-will, there are only 3 ways to exercise freewill;

1. Give in
2. Give up
3. Give to (others)

In other words, only through "giving" do we exercise free-will.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:33 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Old 09-28-2011, 03:33 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Boleo
The need for me making the choice in the first place is simply no longer there.
This is true for me too, but in my case it is not a by-product of my "spiritual fitness".

either way we are both free.

and that's beautiful...
Old 09-28-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Sorry I havent read most of this thread, but...

Perhaps admitting being "powerless" over something you have countless times over failed to control when you originally intended to do so? If you have a long record of failure at doing that, then it may be most logical (obviously addiction and emotions so often override logic) decision would be to abstain-which I see as the equivalent of the admission of being "powerless". Much easier said than done obviously- alcoholics wouldnt exist if it were so simple/easy, and its a shame it isnt.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:06 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HuskyPup View Post
This has always seemed quite the reverse to me...almost everyone I have known with a drinking problem seems to operate from the standpoint that they are helpless in a world of forces more powerful than they are, and in this sense, they 'give up', and resign themselves to drinking, to being dis-empowered as opposed to empowered. In an existential sense, 'alcoholic' seems to be a kind of life-script or 'game' played from the standpoint of 'I am powerless, thus I am blameless.'
This is not consistent with the Fourth, Fifth, Eighth, and Ninth Steps.

If I had to guess, precisely as they do in recovery groups today, engaging in endless rituals to ward off the desire to get drunk or high. Either that or simply resigning themselves to their fate like the character Ben Sanderson in "Leaving Las Vegas."
This is how you claim that people who believe that they are powerless over alcohol behave. How would people who are actually powerless over alcohol behave?