Notices

alcohol, liver, friends

Old 09-25-2011, 11:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
PAR

alcohol, liver, friends

I am happy to say this is day 57 for me without a drop of the sauce. I haven't taken part in AA or anything like that, just simply telling myself I don't drink anymore.
A good deterrent for me is reading horrible stories about live issues due to alcohol abuse. I was once hospitalized due to a seizure after coming off a 10 day bender. The Doc said that six months of drinking like that and my liver would have been shot. This did come to my surprise to me as I'm only 30. During the bender I knew I was on one hell of a ride, but I never really thought I drank that much more than my friends. It was a real eye opener, but I did attempt to drink again like a "normal person" does. This of course didn't work out. Yup, I'm an alcoholic.
I still hang out with my friends who drink. Now I really notice how much booze they are throwing down. I watched the UFC at a friends house last night and he drank a liter of Jim Beam and I'm sure at least 10 beers.
Some of my friends have yellowing around the eyes, cold sweats, muscle cramps, etc. Should I say something? After only 2 months of sobriety I don't want to come off as a know it all or anything.
I dont know, just things on my mind.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JJK

thanks for sharing.. and congrats on your days sober.. youre one age my elder.. and if i drink.. im just like you.. all bets are off.. its not just about "having a sober" or "better life" today as much as it is.. i will die..
Old 09-25-2011, 12:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JJK

and sadly.. theres not much you can really say or do.. the best, i believe, is just be a walking example.. and theyll see the new you.. or if they need help theyll know who to come to.. just be careful hanging around them so much..
Old 09-25-2011, 12:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back...glad to know you have retained your your sobreity...

Excluding your doctors .friend to friend....what conversation would have convinced you to stop drinking?
You could try talking about this..don't be disappointed if no one is interested
Old 09-25-2011, 01:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
It is so sad to see someone killing themselves...now I know how others felt when they looked at me. I agree with JJK, just be you. If they want a different life they know it can be done just by looking at you.