Notices

I Think I Just Got Spotted By Another Alkie

Old 09-24-2011, 11:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Think I Just Got Spotted By Another Alkie

We had run out of cream and sugar at the store so my mum sent me to get some. In the grocery store I thought I might pick bread. This guy walks up to me while I was doing it and starts talking to me.

He asked where I was from etc. I thought he was weird so I had decided to keep it brief. He told me he lived near by and asked me if I wanted to have a beer with him tonight. I said no I'm cool and started walking away. He followed me for a couple of aisles asking if I would be free 'later' but I pretended that I couldn't hear him.

Looking back, he was kind of badly dressed. In track suit pants and a 'beater. His eyes were bloodshot and yellow. We happened to check out at the same time and he asked me if I was sure that I didn't want to hang out.

When I saw the state of his eyes I couldn't help thinking that they looked like mine. At least the bloodshot part. It looks so yucky. This has never happened to me before i.e. had another alkie / addict try to give me a shout out to go use together.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yuck! Sounds creepy but in reality its what many of us used to look/act like so its probably good to be reminded.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I've had random people come up to me on the street & ask me if I wanted to party. One guy said that I drank with him a week prior & I did not remember because I was blacked out.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Way back when I was dating....singles often hung out in supermarkets in order to meet other single people
Sunday morning was a good time to flirt and pick each other up...

Perhaps Mr. Scruffy ..while not your dream guy....was simply looking for company?

However...I'm pleased you did not get into a possible risky situation ..and turned down free drinks...
Old 09-24-2011, 07:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by LifeBlows View Post
When I saw the state of his eyes I couldn't help thinking that they looked like mine. At least the bloodshot part. It looks so yucky.
Here's another crazy thing to consider - if someone were to ask that guy how he thinks he handled himself, he'd probably say he had it all together and that you had NO CLUE he's an alkie and/or was loaded.

It's amazing how obvious it is, isn't it?

--good job saying "no thanks" too!
Old 09-24-2011, 08:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JJK

whoa.. not really that normal.. especially for a drunk.. good thing you didn't get dahmer'd!!