Notices

Old 09-23-2011, 12:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is the first time I've ever used an online forum before so forgive me if I take some time learning my way around. I've decided to quit drinking, like I have many times before, but know for sure that I have to do it. I'm concerned about the fact I know I'm detoxing. I can't go to a doctor and want to know if there is anything you can take or drink (other than alcohol, of course) to assist in this horrible process. I haven't slept since yesterday afternoon when I told myself I wouldn't drink anymore. Stayed up all night and the shaking/vomiting & associated tummy troubles started today. I think I hear things that I don't, and trying to keep something down. I also don't eat when I drink, so it's been awhile without anything solid. Any assistance and advice would be appreciated. I've been looking for a good online support system. I am just freaking out at this point. Thank you......
Old 09-23-2011, 12:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your decision!

Here's a thread on detoxing, real experiences quite varied:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 09-23-2011, 03:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and grats on making a positive change.
You"ll find lots of support and wisdom here. Sometimes I think this place saved my life.

I've done a few home detoxes myself. My doctor suggested lots and lots of Gatorade. Depending on how much, how long, and how often you were drinking the severity and duration of your symptoms will vary. Are you alone, or is there someone around to watch over you?

As far as food goes, just try and get something in. Maybe just snack on crackers or something similar, nothing that's really going to turn your stomach. You need to get some calories and nutrients in to feel better, and make sure to stay hydrated.

Also, every time I went to inpatient detox they gave me a shot full of vitamins. Alcoholics are usually have deficiencies with B vitamins, specifically B1 Thiamine. Might want to take a look at that. (An apology to the moderators if that is medical advice.)

Either way, hang around here and I'm sure things will be easier.

Good luck

-Save
Old 09-23-2011, 03:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

welcome to our recovery community...

Yes...what you are going thru are symptoms of de toxing from alcohol.
Drink a lot of fluids ..water...Gatorade...juices.

De toxing is risky without medical assistance...please go to an ER and tell them what you are doing.
Be both sober and safe.

Please keep posting....glad you are heading into sobriety...

Last edited by CarolD; 09-23-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

With the physical symptoms you are already experiencing you should go to ER, get checked out and possibly get a perscription to help with the withdrawal. Detox from alcohol can be very dangerous, often a person's blood presssure increases a lot with could led to a stroke. Seizures are also a possibility.