Notices

Broccoli and Booze....

Old 09-23-2011, 04:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Broccoli and Booze....

Mental obsessions, by their very nature are invisible to those who have them. We can see yours, but not our own. That's why we have meetings. In order to get a glimpse of mine, I substitute broccoli for alcohol to see if my behavior makes sense.

I know that if I were invited to your home for dinner and you served broccoli, I would have some and I'm sure I would enjoy it. But if you didn't, I wouldn't begin to squirm and ask, “Do you have any broccoli in the house?”

I have never had a couple of broccolis before going to a dinner party.

If someone suggested going to Denny's after a meeting, I probably wouldn't ask, “Do they serve broccoli there?” And I probably wouldn't go out to the car, reach up under the seat and have a couple of broccolis before we left. When we got there have a couple of before dinner broccolis, a couple of broccolis with dinner, an after dinner broccoli, maybe a broccoli for the road. And then go home and eat up all the broccoli in the kitchen.

And then think, “maybe I have some broccoli in the clothes hamper.”

And I have never stood outside of a produce stand, waiting for it to open.” If I did any of those things, you would have to say I had a serious broccoli problem. And if you understood any of that, you are one sick puppy. Do you see how ridiculous we are?”

So, obviously I was powerless over alcohol. But, was my life unmanageable?

It seems to me that if you do things you don't want to do, your life must be unmanageable whether you're alcoholic or not.

If you have ever been arrested and didn't want to be, your life is unmanageable.

If you have ever ridden in the back seat of a police car, and didn't want to, your life is unmanageable.

Now if you asked a police officer if you could go for a ride in the back seat his car and he said, “Yes.” That's a different, but most police officers will say, “No.”

If you ever spent the night in jail and didn't want to, your life is unmanageable.

As a matter of fact, you cannot spend the night in jail just because you want to. If you don't believe me, go up and knock on the door of the jail and tell them you want to spend the night. They won't let you. You must have an invitation.

If you have ever worn handcuffs and didn't want to, your life is unmanageable. Of course, if it was a sexual thing and you wanted to wear them, that's different.

If you ever attended a meeting you didn't want to attend, your life is unmanageable.

If you ever had a probation officer and didn't want one, your life is unmanageable.

If you ever attended a meeting you didn't want to attend, to get a paper signed that you didn't want to have signed, to take it back to the probation officer you didn't want to have in the first place, you life is totally unmanageable.

Just sayin....
Old 09-23-2011, 04:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I did not see my former mental obcessions...that is true ..but I sure felt and heard them.

So greatful God and the AA Steps removed those broccli bunches...
Old 09-23-2011, 04:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Talking

LOL! thanks for the chuckle there Bud! you got to admit it sounds kind of silly.. just exactly like i was -the police back seat thing!
Old 09-23-2011, 04:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Stu that's great! I remember doing a similar thing using Asparagus to explain to a friend the difference between normal drinking and obsessing. But your bit here really drives it home! Thank you!
Old 09-23-2011, 05:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My good friend "Broccoli Al" is responsible for all that wisdom. May he rest in peace...Sober.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Loved it! Thank goodness I don't have to fish broccoli out of the clothes hamper anymore!
Old 09-23-2011, 05:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

EXACTLY!

Unfortunately, those who would benefit most from reading this would not even get it...pat yourself on the back if you do
Old 09-23-2011, 05:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well said - hats off. It was FINALLY thinking along these lines that got me to FINALLY see the problem & quit.

BB
Old 09-23-2011, 05:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can vividly remember the sense of desperation I felt when it was approaching 9 P.M. and I was out of booze. Often I was still too drunk to drive but knew the dreaded withdrawal would start if I didn't replenish my supply. What a dilema, risk a DUI or face the horror of withdrawal, in retrospect it was almost a feeling of raw panic, crazy the things we put ourselves through.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love this post
Old 09-23-2011, 07:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

And I have never stood outside of a produce stand, waiting for it to open.”
Hilarious Stu. My name is vicious and I am a broccaholic. LOL. :rotfxko
Old 09-23-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Over the legal limit of broccoli! That would be a shocker!
Old 09-23-2011, 08:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thank you again...I will keep reading that one over. both for the message and the humor.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That was quite possibly the most amusing & informative post I've ever read here on SR. I'm lol'ing & deep thinking at the same time.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

LOL. I thought this post was gonna be about how tough it is to get the smell out of the house after a night of boozing and eating broccoli.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Its nice to see that "We are not a glum lot".
Old 09-23-2011, 10:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I hate broccoli... never touch it... I like a potatoe now and then.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

THanks for the wisdom and humor.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Theres no reason we cant laugh in sobriety.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks Stugotz

I will use the broccoli substitution when i think of taking a drink.. We wouldn't eat that much of the stuff so it just shows the insanity of drinking as much.

I'm unsure as to whether broccoli has addictive properties!, do you think it would be helpful to substitute broccoli for something addictive, but something we wouldn't use!! Like glue or lighter fluid?

wf