Notices

One week and two big hurdles cleared!

Old 09-17-2011, 10:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One week and two big hurdles cleared!

No drinks for a week and I feel, a lot better!

Last night I went over my married friends' house (couple I've known all my life). We usually just drink and watch tv. It was just something we always did. I had no urge to drink at all. I thought I'd be tempted, but it really wasn't bad.

Tonight was the wife's 30th birthday (not my wife, but the one from the night before). Huge party, big Italian family at a nice restaurant for a great sit down dinner. Lots of wine, beer, mixed drinks for everyone. I was content with my water, sparkling cider (n/a, tastes like apple soda - the Martenellis stuff) and then after dinner coffee.

We went back to their house for a big pit fire, cake, watched the Phillies clinch and all of these are times where I would always be drinking the entire time. I was actually really happy that I was ok with it.

Weird thing is that I think I was actually helped by there being one other person who's been sober for like 3 years and oddly enough, about 4 pregnant women who also weren't drinking. I had a n/a wine (basically grape juice) and water.

I know the n/a stuff shouldn't really be a substitute, but I wouldn't ever drink wine when I was drinking. I always didn't like the taste of it and even when I was drinking a lot, I always avoided it. But grape juice was good.

I feel pretty good about it. I wasn't tempted at all! I did smoke a lot more cigarettes, but that's something I'm ok with for now, I'll work on that when I'm a little more comfortable with the not drinking.

It's a big sigh of relief, I feel good that I can handle myself in those situations now, I was pretty nervous about it. Also happy that I don't have to worry about the hangover tomorrow
Old 09-17-2011, 11:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Adobe!

That was a great read! Thanks for posting - very encouraging. Congrats on your week - excellent going. I felt a lot better after one week too - and even better still after 4 :-)

Good job on those hurdles!

If it really was grape juice and not n/a wine then I agree - grape juice is delicious (never tasted n/a wine so can't comment, and not in any hurry to taste it either LOL).

I'm also smoking more since I quit and it annoys me but we'll see, I'll lick that one too one of these days.

Very well done,
BB
Old 09-18-2011, 07:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

I hope you smoked outside for respect of those 4 unborn children....
Old 09-18-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Old 09-18-2011, 08:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sugarbear, of course, everyone smoked outside. I'm actually a little offended that you would think otherwise. Those are my friends, I wouldn't even ever consider that.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nice job Adobe! Both sound like really fun nights... And you're realizing you dont NEED alchohol to have fun. Bravo!