Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Non-alcoholic beer or replacing alcohol with other beverages meant to taste like it

Notices

Non-alcoholic beer or replacing alcohol with other beverages meant to taste like it

Old 09-17-2011, 07:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey guys,

Just trying to get a feel for replacing alcohol with non-alcohol beer or whatever other non-alcoholic beverages may exist. Does it help in recovery or hurt? I went to the grocery store tonight (TRIGGER) and was about to buy a six pack of non-alcoholic beer, but put it back.

I feel like I should replace with ANYTHING else but something that tastes like alcohol. I do genuinely like the taste of some beers, but when I got to the point of just drinking to get trashed it was about shotgunning as many as possible and the lighter the better so it goes down easier.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't know if non-alcohol beer is even a good idea for me because i'm not sure if I miss the taste nearly as much as I miss the buzz. But if I'm questioning it, I should probably stay away.

Does anyone here drink non-alcoholic beer? What have yall's experiences with it been in terms of your own recovery?
Old 09-17-2011, 07:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I always drank for the effects so I wouldn't see any point to it.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

my experience is they led me back to the real thing, so it's a from me.

D
Old 09-17-2011, 07:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I drank to get drunk, not for the taste of it. I've tasted NA beer and wine and think it's all nasty. But no, if you're questioning it that could be a warning from your subconcious to think twice. I wouldn't advise it.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

the only time I drank beer was when there was nothing else available....
I disliked the taste and it took too long for the desired high.

First...check the labels ...the ones I know about do have a trace of alcohol. ...but I've not been interested in buying any
I've been a non drinker for years and will stay that way... .

My beverages of choice are Water and Iced tea..both with Lemon wedges.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Okay yeah that's my fear. That and the .5% alcohol.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
my experience is they led me back to the real thing, so it's a from me.

D
Old 09-17-2011, 09:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I was a kid I thought beer tasted like crap. But I learned to like it because of the effect.

Now that I quit I'm starting to remember what it was like to be a kid again.

Let it go. There are way better tasting things to drink.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I didn't drink for the taste, so there would be no point. Now I drink sparkling water with lime or lemon and herbal teas.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
I am a big fan of non-alcoholic beer - and the stuff I get here in Asia is 0.00%. That being said, I order a lot more iced tea and coffee than n.a. beer these days; today was brunch with numerous cups of coffee and a chocolate milkshake in the afternoon while at the sports bar (watching the rugby world cup).

HOWEVER when I read the OP, it seemed to indicate there would be potentially a lot of psychological triggers that might be activated by going for n.a. beer. If you are not 100% certain, then by all means, err on the side of protecting your sobriety!!! There are plenty of alternative choices that are similarly non-sweet & dry like iced tea.

The resistance to n.a. beers seems much stronger from Americans. In Europe, n.a. beers are much more part of the scenery by non-alcoholics. They often want taste & thirst quenching qualities but not the alcohol when out hiking or doing outdoor sports that require concentration. Likewise, I believe alcoholics in recovery there would have less of an issue with n.a. beer...
Old 09-18-2011, 03:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm Australian

My attitude comes purely from my experience - for me, as a beer drinker, something that looks like beer, tastes like beer, smells like beer and comes in a can like beer set off old behaviours.

It may not be so for someone else - but I can hardly talk about someone else's experience

D
Old 09-18-2011, 04:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Root Beer! Thats about as close as I get!
Old 09-18-2011, 05:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

the times I tried it,it inevitably led me back to drinking the real stuff. I know now that I was drinking it to try and recapture the experience of drinking without actually "drinking" it looked like beer ,tasted like beer ,packaged like beer. I was trying to "get away" with something. I leave it alone and drink things that dont resemble alcoholic beverages in any way.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I know some people who have been sober for years and drink non-alcoholic beer on occasion. There is probably more alcohol in mouthwash or orange juice than a non-alcoholic beer. Drinking beer took too long for me to feel drunk. If they ever come out with non-alcoholic Vodka, I think I would try it. IMO non-alcoholic is a waste of money. It costs just as much as real beer and you don't feel intoxicated.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

For me, it only reinforced the mental behavior associated with drinking real beer. Eventually I would "try" some of the real stuff again to really see if it tasted different.

It never satisfied me and always left a desire. I read that it helps some overcome the habit but I won't take the chance anymore.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have one very rarely, with fried oysters and Habanaro sauce, because I like the taste of beer with Oysters, other than that I do not care for it. Now I want fried Oysters!!
Old 09-19-2011, 08:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by bmwcycle View Post
I have one very rarely, with fried oysters and Habanaro sauce, because I like the taste of beer with Oysters, other than that I do not care for it. Now I want fried Oysters!!
Have you considered not eating foods that you once paired with alcohol?

I quit drinking V-8 as that was something I associated to alcohol....
Old 09-19-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I find club soda with lemon does the trick for me...

NA Beer always led me back to alcohol like Dee74 said..

Steer clear.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Have you considered not eating foods that you once paired with alcohol?

I quit drinking V-8 as that was something I associated to alcohol....

I have but it has not been an issue.

I didn't care that much for beer when I drank but I liked it with fried oysters so I have a NA beer when I have Oysters.

I also like Bloody Mary mix and had one yesterday while watching football. I could not imagine not having clams in white wine with garlic or making red sauce with out a little red wine. All the Alcohol is cooked off before eating. These are things that bring me great pleasure, I realize for some this could be too much temptation, but for me it is not.

I could find that there are triggers to my drinking everywhere in my daily life but I would not have time to enjoy myself. To me on the rare occasion I decide to have a NA beer is not a big deal. I gave up drinking not living.

Just my experiences,
Old 09-19-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Non-alcoholic beer is for non-alcoholics.

I drank it way back when I wanted the wife off my back but it just reminded me why I drank beer and it wasn't the taste.

I've been sober 7 months now, I wouldn't risk my sobriety for anything, much less the taste of something that tried to kill me.

SH
Old 09-19-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

NA beer

Didn't work for me - the taste, alone, triggered me to go buy the real thing.

Please steer clear, in my humble opinion.

Kelly