Notices

I'm scared of becoming an alcoholic

Old 09-15-2011, 11:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm scared of becoming an alcoholic

I like to drink alone.

I don't do it much, I only consume alcohol about every 6 months. Lately I've been thinking about drinking myself drunk every weekend. Why? Cause I love watching movies drunk and eating snacks. Much more fun than watching it sober, "The Pirates of the Caribbean" is a good movie to watch drunk.

The thing is that I feel like drinking every day. Not to get drunk, but to have like one drink or one shot before reading/falling asleep.

I'm addicted to nicotine. So I know how it works. Every month, then every weekend, then every day et c.

Am I being paranoid? Is it alright to drink only once every week.

Thanks for reading!
Old 09-15-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Tetras,

I know lots of people that have a glass of wine with dinner everyday or are able to enjoy a beer or two on their own to relax (how I envy these people!). However, I also know people who have one drink to relax.. which turns to two drinks.. and then control is lost (that would be myself). I think it's all about moderation and control.

I think that the fact you are even asking the question raises a red flag but I'm no expert. If you feel it's a problem - go with that feeling.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnimalCrackers View Post
Hi Tetras,

I know lots of people that have a glass of wine with dinner everyday or are able to enjoy a beer or two on their own to relax (how I envy these people!). However, I also know people who have one drink to relax.. which turns to two drinks.. and then control is lost (that would be myself). I think it's all about moderation and control.
A whiskey in the evening after work seems common. Seems cozy to have one glass of liquor by the fire, and sitting on the sofa and reading a good book.

Originally Posted by AnimalCrackers View Post
I think that the fact you are even asking the question raises a red flag but I'm no expert. If you feel it's a problem - go with that feeling.
The red flag comes from having alcoholism in the family. I'm scared genetics might make me more likely to become an alcoholic.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I started justifying having only one drink here and there "to relax" then it became to "really enjoy this song" or "because I have nothing else to do." then I stopped justifying. There was no explanation. It's good you are aware of it. Alcoholism is biological.

That said, based on what you've described it doesn't absolutely mean you are an "alcoholic", but keep your eye on it given your family history. Do you wanna quit? Of do, try AA. If not then just watch it. We'll be here for you.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really grew to like drinking alone - it wasn't just the movies or the music or whatever else I was doing...it was the vague euphoria, the distancing of myself from reality, the escape....sometimes I felt like that guy in the Twilight Zone ep - the only guy left in the world....

If you're like me, those times you want to drink/escape will become more and more regular - I think you're wise to think about it now.

D
Old 09-15-2011, 04:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

just today i wrote someone saying, if they had told me two years ago that it would just creep up on you and before you know it you'll be drinking everyday, i wouldnt believe them.

but
that is exactly what happened.
one friday nite every once and awhile
then a friday and saturday

then a wednesday
then the many reasons why day.
she left me, kids are bad, the sun is out, the sun has gone away, i am happy, i am sad, bad hair day, someone cut me off, its my birthday its someones birthday

it got to be everyday. and i didnt even really notice until it was way to late to stop it.

if you think it is going to be a problem it is going to be one.
catch it early and stop. before the hard part starts.

Would any alcoholic wish the fight on anyone. It is tough.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The sooner you put down the alcohol...the easier it will be. And no fear to deal with either.

welcome...
Old 09-15-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
I can't, or won't, tell you if you will or will not become addicted. However, as someone who drank a whole lot for many years, alone, I can say that it creeps up on you very slowly and insidiously.

You may want to read the book "Under the Influence" by James Milam to get an idea of how it usually progresses. In hindsight, many of the things it described did apply to me. It might be useful for you to know the signs ahead of time.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RunnerMD2be View Post
I started justifying having only one drink here and there "to relax" then it became to "really enjoy this song" or "because I have nothing else to do." then I stopped justifying. There was no explanation. It's good you are aware of it. Alcoholism is biological.

That said, based on what you've described it doesn't absolutely mean you are an "alcoholic", but keep your eye on it given your family history. Do you wanna quit? Of do, try AA. If not then just watch it. We'll be here for you.
^ What was said above perfectly.

I started drinking while just watching tv and cooking because I thought it made the shows better. It took a while, but that eventually turned into drinking makes everything better.

I remember that I bought a handle of tequila to make margaritas at the beginning of my senior year of college and every once in a while I would buy a pizza, make myself a drink, and chill out by myself. When the school year was over, I gave the last 1/4 of the handle to my sister when I was moving. BUT - a few weeks ago, I bought a fifth of tequila to make margaritas and drained it in a day. I miss the days when I could control myself. And this is definitely a progressive problem...for me at least.

If you see the drunk movie watching turning into a multiple day a week type thing, I would say that you for sure have a problem.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

haoticSunshine.....

Good to know you are here..Welcome!
Old 09-15-2011, 08:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whiskeyman View Post
just today i wrote someone saying, if they had told me two years ago that it would just creep up on you and before you know it you'll be drinking everyday, i wouldnt believe them.
Exactly.

People used to laugh at me saying it was 'weird' that I drank alone and I shrugged it off wondering what they were talking about (this was the 'pre-problem', or rather 'start-of-problem' days).

Nothing felt so comfortable and so pleasurable.

Fast-forward 17 years and there were no people teasing me, because there were no people in my life, and I wouldn't have told anyone for love nor money in case they stopped me.

As Dee says, the drinking alone thing can be highly seductive in and of itself. And I also attest to the fact that this thing is sneakily, subtly and relentlessly progressive.

If you are worried, there's only way to be totally safe.

Good luck,
BB
Old 09-15-2011, 09:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChaoticSunshine View Post
^ What was said above perfectly.

I started drinking while just watching tv and cooking because I thought it made the shows better. It took a while, but that eventually turned into drinking makes everything better.
There it is right there. Drinking makes everything better - until it starts to make everything worse. Its like riding a horse and having it turn into a buckin bronc, except no matter how many times it bucks you off and stomps on you, you keep getting back on, kicking it, and getting bucked off.

The problem is you just want to go for a horseback ride and not ride a bucking bronc. The drinking really snuck up on me, and once I decided I had a problem, I'd never admit I had a problem. Fast forward a decade and I'd lost 10 years of my life without realizing it...

It runs in my family too. I used to say I'll only drink one or two every now and then. I did that for a long time. Then it just got away from me and I never saw it hit me.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I just wanted to say thanks guys and girls. I am drinking right now. I've decided that drinking once a week is okay. Not any more. Like smoking, once a week is fine.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I definitely agree and echo what others have posted here.

If you think you have a problem, you might.

The seductive part for me was the cocoon you create for yourself drinking alone. What starts as the famous "just one drink" almost always turns to more.

But even worse is that you shut yourself off from the world. You say, "why do I need friends when I have this dark room, this bottle, and this tv?"

Unfortunately for me, all I found when I let the drinking and social isolation get out of control was loneliness, fear, anxiety, depression, etc.

You feel powerful and invincible at first, but eventually, you wake up one day and look around and no one is there; no friends, you won't return calls from family. It is just you and the bottle alone in the house.

I know we didn't intend for it to start that way, but it can end up that way if we're not careful.

By the grace of God, sober for 4 months
Old 09-17-2011, 04:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Update people:

I drank yesterday, I drank once last week. Before that I didn't have a drink for months. I have had a desire to drink all day, and all week. Like one shot for going to bed and one for melting the dinner et c. I've poured out all my alcohol. Except for one old bottle of wine which will probably never be opened.

This is thanks to you guys. You probably saved me from alcoholism.

I will start the university next year, engineering. And I will manage to keep/save brain cells and money as a student.

Thanks, and bye.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

If you are a real alcoholic, the disease is progressive whether or not you consume alcohol. Alcohol consumption Is but a symptom. Do well in school!
Old 09-17-2011, 05:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My first drink was alone.. And so was my last..

If you're questioning it.. Leave it alone for 6 months and do a trial seperation...

Or better yet.. Leave it alone for good..
Old 09-17-2011, 06:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope it works out for you Tetras - if not, you know where we are

D
Old 09-17-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Tetras2....I'm so glad you made that positive decision..
All my best as you move into a sober future...
Old 09-17-2011, 08:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetras2 View Post
Update people:

I drank yesterday, I drank once last week. Before that I didn't have a drink for months. I have had a desire to drink all day, and all week. Like one shot for going to bed and one for melting the dinner et c. I've poured out all my alcohol. Except for one old bottle of wine which will probably never be opened.

This is thanks to you guys. You probably saved me from alcoholism.

I will start the university next year, engineering. And I will manage to keep/save brain cells and money as a student.

Thanks, and bye.
There ya have it! A common sense thing for someone to do if they are worried about becoming an alcoholic. Just think it didn't take a multy gazillion dollar study to come up with that conclusion