Notices

Remembering your last drunk......

Old 09-15-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Remembering your last drunk......

I had been reading one of my recovery books, when this statement just popped out of the page!! I am coming up to my 40 th birthday..and friends/family have planned a night out...I have been aware that this could be a dangerous time in my sobriety.....then I read this...and went WOW...my last drunk...it was my DUI....now is that NOT a sobering reality!!! so I plan on writing this down on a sticky note and putting it in my purse....or giving it to my mom/or boyfriend and get them to "flash" it at me!! I think it will be a huge reason not to drink on my birthday!!!
Hopefully this will help you guys...it certainly helped me!!
Old 09-15-2011, 08:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Best of luck to you! You can do it! Happy Birthday!
Old 09-15-2011, 02:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My last drink cost me my relationship and almost my life. I tend to get myself into stupid dangerous sitiations when loades, e.g. climbing along cliffs next to a ferocious sea, all the while clutching a beer .
Old 09-15-2011, 02:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Happy early 40th birthday!!!! Mine is coming up next year and I am plannin a trip for it
Old 09-15-2011, 03:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi LaFemme!!
Good for you! This party is one my friends planned....I plan on going to a Hot Springs Resort with my mom in a couple of months...work is delaying the plans but none the less will enjoy it!!
Where are u going??
Old 09-15-2011, 03:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Saturday Jan 30th of this year.. Woke up started drinking, finished about a 5th.. Went to dinner around 5 with my wife. Told her I was finished with alcohol. Called a life long friend that's been in AA and sober for over 2 years while at the resturant...

And that was it.. Nothing really extraordinary.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I drank the day I planned to quit so I quit the next day. It really feels like a very long time ago. I just don't remember what I was even drinking but I'm pretty sure it was beer. My birthday is in a couple weeks. I have no desire to ruin it with alcohol.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

After going out w/a friend for "a beer", several pitchers and pints later I fell asleep in a pub, left w/friend and puked in a parking lot next to a little girl who was running just a bit in front of her parents. I will never forget the look on her face...Went home, got me bollocks smashed by the Mrs., and hung up my "drinking boots" that night.
Such wonderful memories!
Old 09-15-2011, 07:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Went upstairs with the wife to put the kids to bed. Went downstairs and chugged a couple glasses of vodka that my wife didn't know about. Quit the next morning.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, my sat drinking session started during the World Cup Final and continued through the wee hours of the morning wine and beer. I'd been drinking more than usual during the World Cup since I was watching the games in bars and drinkin at 10:00 am when the games started. I was super sick the next day and couldn't keep drinking after that.

Lo2l....I am hoping to go to Italy...rent an apartment in Rome for a week I think. It's far enough away I can plan and dream for a bit. This will be my first trip/vacation in 10 years
Old 09-15-2011, 08:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My usual Friday night multiple vodkas after work, alone in my apartment. Nothing dramatic. Just my 'normal' systematic self-destruction.

The next day was quit day. I quit. Never looked back (in all of 4 weeks LOL :-)).

BB
Old 09-15-2011, 09:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My last drunk was the normal night drunk like all the nights before, my daughter got into an accident, I made an ass of myself and almost went to jail embarrassing my whole family at the hospital, got lost and my wife left me. I finally made it home by 5 AM, slept some then got drunk yet again after all that, and then I finally realized this thing has me until I quit for good.

If that’s not bottom then I don’t want to go down any further…

I am nearly 7 months sober and I read and watch a lot of recovery material, my life has certainly changed for the better.

I like the sticky note idea! Mine would say ‘Instant Butt Hole, just add alcohol’…

Happy Birthday!!!
Old 09-16-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So everyone..keep your last drunk in mind, if you have the desire to pick up again...it will help us remember why we gave it up in the first place!! and remind us that we don't want to go down that road again...or an even worse road!!

LaFemme:..OMG sounds beautiful....what a vacation!! xo you are waaaay overdue!
Old 09-16-2011, 10:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Two years ago I celebrated my 39th birthday by spending the night in jail for assault - alcohol was a contributing factor.

I have to say it sure gives me motivation to behave on my birthdays - for some reason they aren't as much fun anymore to me. lol
Old 09-16-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

New Years Day party, went with the intention of having a few and then going to another party with my wife and kids. Ended up staying all night an into the morning doing lines and shots until the sun rose. Said right then that I needed to quit told wife I was going to stop for two weeks to see if i could do it and how i would feel. That was almost nine months ago and I never figured that I would stop all together.

Good luck, I do not remember much of my 40th birthday celebration which is a shame because all of my close friends and family were there, most of them can not recall either. In a few weeks I will turn 44 and I am certain I will enjoy and recall the day well...

La Femm enjoy Rome it is a wonderful city..
Old 09-16-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ha Ha Ha .. yeah .. my last drunk..trying to forget about that...
Old 09-16-2011, 09:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My last drink was pretty much like all of the other drinks I had in the previous 2 years. Boring, self-destructive, depressing and not all that memorable.

Glad I quit.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

There is a chapter called "Remembering your last drunk" in the AA booklet called Living Sober.

While there are many things I like about L.S., this is one of its suggestions that conflicts with what the Big Book says about the nature of alcoholism.

The following excerpt comes to mind from the Big Book:

"The fact is that most alcoholics, for some reason yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink. our so-called will power becomes practically nonexistent. We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink."
This rings true on my own experiences. That being the case, given that I am prone to these strange mental blank spots, what basis do I really have for believing that trying to remember my last drunk will keep me sober?

Personally, I try to remember the first line from Living Sober when I read it:

"This booklet does not offer a plan for recovery from alcoholism. The Alcoholics Anonymous Steps that summarise its program of recovery are set forth in detail in the books "Alcoholics Anonymous" and "Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions.""
Of course, if it works for you, great.

Best wishes and best of luck on your journey.

SIU
Old 09-17-2011, 09:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
I tried the remembering approach many times, but for some reason, I would always forget the bad stuff eventually, and then get the stupid idea to drink again. Although I don't agree with the "power of choice" part, that passage that SIU cited always sounded eerily accurate.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Happy 40th

My last drunk was the usual drink in the garage after work, drunk dial people, and dance by myself while listening to music. Didn't make it to work the next AM because I went to bed at 3 something.