Notices

Can't sleep!

Old 09-14-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't sleep!

Hi All,

I know there have been multiple threads about this in the past, but just wondering if anyone could briefly chime in on how long it took their sleeping patterns to return to something approaching normal? Are we talking weeks, or months?

I'm seeing my doctor this evening, and I'll definitely be telling him this, so not looking for medical advice but rather people's personal experience.

I keep busy all day, exercise, and do not sleep during the day. I drink calming herbal teas in the evening which make me sleepy, and I am always tired early so I go to bed at around 10.30pm. But then I am awake and alive at 3/4am and that's it for the rest of the day - awake. I got up at 3am (here) tonight. I probably need to force myself to stay up a bit later in the evenings.

I'm no stranger to insomnia and I think I get 'enough' sleep for me - just at the wrong times.

I'm not sure it's all alcohol-quitting-related. I am taking 2 drugs for depression - so maybe side-effects or the illness itself. Again, I will be discussing all this with my doctor, as I have before.

So - any quick estimates on how long it took your post-alcohol insomnia to settle down?

Many thanks,
BB
Old 09-14-2011, 07:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was a couple of months for me - but I've slept like a baby since
Hope it happens for you soon - see your Dr for sure

D
Old 09-14-2011, 07:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please see if this link is useful for you...

Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures
Old 09-14-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you both - I'll definitely be checking out the link Carol, thanks,
BB
Old 09-14-2011, 08:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

3-4 months... The early am awakening was the worst. But like dee, I sleep very well now... It's a good thing.

Antidepressants can screw with your sleep. See your doc...

Do all the common sense stuff... Avoid caffiene, exercise, don't fall asleep in front of the TV... Try to quiet your mind...
Old 10-10-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey there -

I got sober at Capo by the Sea and the doctor there was into holistic solutions as well. He introduced me to a product that they sell at Whole Foods called Theanine Serene with Relora (or Gaba). It has worked like a charm for me. I've been taking two before bed for the last 2 years and I sleep like a baby. I had the same issues with insomnia before using this stuff.

Good luck

Drew
Old 10-10-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When you wake up early, do you feel OK for the full day?

I went through a time when I went to bed at around 10:30, same as you, and woke up at 3:30 or 4, and I would just get up and start the day - my dogs were horrified but cooperative. And I felt fine all day.

I think there's a time when the brain is just so happy to be sober that it says "start me up!". Prematurely.

Now I am sleeping hard and dreaming hard for a good 7 hours, but the early wake-up period lasted for a month or so.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My doctor said some of the anti-depressants will make people energized. Check into that.

Otherwise what I'd do is get up at 4 or whenever you wake up and start your day. After a few days your body will adjust.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Beebizzy,

I am just a week or so behind you in my quit date (and your posts back then triggered me to make the jump!)

Struggling with this as well and I am at 42-ish days. I have a prescription for Ambien, but you might as well hit me over the head with a 2x4. Hard sleep, and sleeping WAY too much (12+ hours at times) and not restful. I've had this prescribed to me for years now, but it seems post-booze, it is not the answer and I need to drop it.

I have been doing the late evening herbal teas and tries the suggestions in the insomnia thread, but come 1-2am, seems sleep is elusive.

Heres hoping for relief within the next few months as others have experienced!
Old 10-10-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Please be careful with using Ambien. All you have to do is google "ambien addiction" and you will know what I mean. My opinion is that it is a terrible, nasty, very addictive drug. For your own sake - be very careful using this and never use it for more than one night in a row.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Browns - good heads up! I wasn't aware that this can be addicting.

Ambien had never been a problem for me. I started taking it years ago when I was traveling through various time zones for work. Maybe 2 a month, tops, but I have an active prescription. I tried it a few times after coming off the nightly booze habit in August and it was horrible! Certainly not how it used to affect me.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am a lifelong insomniac which has contributed in part to my drinking. In addition to alcohol I have used weed (which now just makes me hungry so no more), Tylenol PM, Benedryl, Xanax, and all the old advice that is basically useless to a chronic insomniac.
Recently, I discovered this Bob Marley drink called "mellow Mood". There are several kinds but my favorite is the lite half lemonade half tea. Oh how I love it! It has melatonin in it and I think that is the key to helping me. I really feel sleepy and relaxed and I stay asleep and wake up feeling refreshed. A lot of the other methods I mentioned above left me feeling groggy all the next day.
I have used it while detoxing to help with the massive insomnia and anxiety and it helps me. Sometimes I will drink two if I am really bad at anytime, not just detox.
Not sure if this is available everywhere tho is the only thing.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Melatonin and Valerian
Old 10-12-2011, 09:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Thanks so much for your replies! Since I first posted this I've been prescribed medication to help me sleep which is working well.

I still wake up early but now I just get up and enjoy the time, and indeed I am not tired during the day.

So it's all good :-) Thanks again,
BB