Notices

Nobody Really Cares if I'm Sober or Not

Old 09-16-2011, 05:01 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Your post could have been written by my axbf. His whole family has been shielding him and helping him. And even me, for two years I knew he was an A and i just didn't want to deal with it because i didn't want to lose the relationship. he's like a spoilt brat with no consequences and hardly notices the pain he causes the people who love him so much. does it really take everyone leaving you to make the difference? why can't it be enough when you hurt yourself and others?
Old 09-16-2011, 06:52 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Mark,

I am new here and on day two. I also had a few people close to me "harp", which just made me mad. I have come to the conclusion that this is a personal journey for ME, not them, and that it is none of their business that I have decided to quit. I am quitting for me, and for my daughter. That's it. I told my husband, whom I am separated from, last night, that I was working on it and that made him think he could start in on me - listing all the reasons why I should cut down or stop, and I just told him that it was none of his business. Do it for yourself!

I have always been highly functioning - but more recently things started sliding - a few partial blackouts, me forgetting things my daughter had told me (and believe me, teenagers love to remind you they've already said that THREE times!), and me taking some risks that I will keep private. I was definitely tempting fate, and I've decided to not do that.

Best of luck! I believe you can stop if you just make that decision to not let fate win.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:20 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by susanlauren View Post
MarkNS,
None of that lasts for an alcoholic who continues to drink. How bad does it have to get for you before you stop drinking? And when it gets that bad, will you be able to stop?
Susan
I always tell myself and others that I can stop whenever I feel like it, but I just don't feel the need right now to do it. I hope to God I'm right about that.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Originally Posted by MarkNS View Post
I always tell myself and others that I can stop whenever I feel like it.
So did I, but my reality is that I could not. No way could I open a bottle, have just a couple and save the rest. Bottle would be empty in no time at all. OK for a while, but not the way I want to spend the rest of my life. I'm in control now, not the addiction. Life is 1000 times better on this side. It is so different now cause I CAN make the decision to not drink (by my choice).