Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Giving up any idea that we were like other people

Notices

Giving up any idea that we were like other people

Old 09-16-2011, 10:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I can definitely relate to you. I often used to do the exact same thing. Stare at people as I drove by, saying how can they "waste" their day doing such mundane things, when I have more important things to do with my day, like getting wasted.

What has helped me is the social interactions. I know a lot of people attend AA on here. That's great if it's your cup of tea. If it's not, as its not for me, the important thing I took away from the one time I attended AA was how important it is to reconnect with others.

If you were like me, you were socially isolated. You begin to loose your humanity by not interacting with other people. I have regained my sense of worth and self...everything by just re-establishing those social contacts that have long been dormant.

I found at first that as an alcoholic, I didn't go out of the house much. I was a couch potato. When I sobered up, I still found myself sitting there out of habit, only this time I wasn't drinking, just totally sober.

So I eventually started doing small things and I slowly added more and more activities. I might have just started by cleaning my room. Then I started washing my car. Then I started working out.

And you know what? For me, the "therapy" and "recovery" has been...surprise! Everyday life. When you've checked out from life for the past 8+ years of your life, you have to re-learn all these activities that you stopped doing, and see just how therapeutic it can be.

Four months sober, by the grace of God