Notices

Get rid of it

Old 09-08-2011, 06:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Gone In

Get rid of it

I was going through the kitchen caninets yesterday looking for some tomato paste for wife so she could make dinner, and low and behold I find an open bottle of Brandy staring me in the face. I was quite surprised, and I asked my wife what it was doing here and she said she uses it for cooking sometimes.

Well the image of that bottle of brandy had been swimming around my head, and I know relapses start way before you take a drink. So this morning I asked my wife to get rid of it, and she did with no questions asked. It was just something about finding it unexpectedly and the fact that it was open with a third missing that set off alarm bells, just too easy to take a swallow of it and go back into alcoholic hell.

We've had a wine collection in the house for about a year now, and that doesn't bother me, but that bottle of brandy sure did. Do any of you guys in recovery still have alcohol in the house? Or did you get rid of it?
Old 09-08-2011, 07:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I still have mine.

BB
Old 09-08-2011, 07:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I got no need for it, and when I did drink (toward the end) I couldn’t keep it in the house anyway, anything I bought was drank up, Sunday beer was always drank Saturday night.

I did keep finding empties in strange places though but I think there all gone now.

I guess a collection of wine or a stock of mouthwash would be fine because it wasn’t my regular poison.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My wife has wine in the house it doesn't bother me anymore, but it also wasn't my drink of choice. No vodka or whiskey allowed though!
Old 09-08-2011, 08:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by BASEjumper View Post
Do any of you guys in recovery still have alcohol in the house?
I do. Lots of it. I'm not "in recovery," though. I never drink, period.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There is alcohol still in my house as well. My wife is not an alcoholic so I can't expect her to get rid of the few bottles of wine that are in a rack above our fridge. There is also beer in our garage fridge for guests, etc. Although I think it is probably expired by now. And with my wife now pregnant, no alcohol is consumed by us. For me, the compulsion to drink has been removed and it does not tempt me. But if it ever starts, you dang right I will be getting rid of it ASAP!

But everyone is different. If if bothers you having it in the house, getting rid of it is the right thing to do. Nothing is more important than your sobriety!
Old 09-08-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm in the same situation as Bikeguy. There are bottles of wine in my house, but it doesn't bother me. I rarely drank wine anyway.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

There's a little beer for my husband, but those cans may as well have a skull & crossbones on them - they're poison to me. I had such a horrific battle to get off it, I'm not tempted at all.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

Originally Posted by AVRT View Post
I do. Lots of it. I'm not "in recovery," though. I never drink, period.
AVRT, I do not mean to be rude at all. I was just wondering why you are a member of this board if you are recovered. Are you here just to help others find the AVRT method for help? I really mean out of complete curiosity.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by bellakeller View Post
AVRT, I do not mean to be rude at all. I was just wondering why you are a member of this board if you are recovered. Are you here just to help others find the AVRT method for help? I really mean out of complete curiosity.
  1. I believe that I can help others.

2. AVRT requires recognition of the Addictive Voice, and since recovery forums are necessarily replete with examples of it, many of which I would never even think of, reading posts helps me refine my own understanding of AVRT.

3. The Friends & Family forum provides a perspective that I wouldn't normally have access to.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

SR is an open site....meaning people come here for all soarts of various reasons...

It's all good as long as we remember to respect each other. If anyone finds that impossible SR is not the site to use.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I live alone by choice and have for years..

I've not had alcohol in my place since '89 and people still come to visit and dine with me.
They do not bring alcohol in they respect my recovery.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

No and if guest want to drink there is plenty of it out there. Have at it just do it somewhere else.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Do any of you guys in recovery still have alcohol in the house? Or did you get rid of it?
I think I do. I was a closet drinker. No one else in the family drinks. At the end of my last 6 week bender, 11 months ago, I kept refilling the empty bottles of scotch with ice tea so that if someone opened the cabinet they were still half full. I know I refilled an empty bottle of good vodka with water one early morning and forgot about it. I lost track of which was which.

Seriously, I do have alcohol in the cabinets, beer in the fridge an wine on a rack for company. It does not bother me one bit to have it, see it, serve it or clean up after cause I know in my hearth that booze is not for me. My desire to live a sober life is much stronger than any need to get loaded.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't keep alcohol here.

I'd no more keep a bottle of beer here than I would a bag of weed, which was my other great addiction.

It's simply not a part of my life anymore.
I'm not a drinker.

D
Old 09-08-2011, 04:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I don't drink so I don't keep alcohol in my home.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Gone In

Funny thing is I used to drink those bottles of wine all the time and just replace them secretly. Now they don't interest me in the least. But accidentally finding that bottle of brandy kind of shocked me. Better safe than sorry I guess
Old 09-08-2011, 05:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Most of the alcohol in my house lasted less than a week or so anyway, so I never amassed a big collection of anything. I think I have a bottle of really, really old port that I was saving for a special occasion and a bottle of tequila that was given to me after I quit.

And my wife drinks a glass of wine or a beer every night, but those items are kept in a different fridge and don't bother me anyway.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Funny thing is I used to drink those bottles of wine all the time and just replace them secretly. Now they don't interest me in the least. But accidentally finding that bottle of brandy kind of shocked me. Better safe than sorry I guess
In light of my previous post, I should clarify that I don't actually recommend keeping lots of alcohol in the house. :-)
Old 09-08-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

When I decided enough, I poured over half a sixty oz bottle of vodka down the drain, and got rid of all the empties, vodka and beer. I haven't had either in the house since.

I think there are probably a half dozen bottles of fine wine still around. My wife may decide to return them, or give them as gifts, or just take the box next door. I don't really care because I have no concerns about finding a corkscrew and doing the nasty. My mind no longer goes there.