Notices

Back to Prison in 8 days

Old 09-05-2011, 07:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
~sb

Goodwill store, Salvation Army store. My new clothing stores.

Carry the message!
Old 09-06-2011, 06:57 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

You Gave Me Quite A Scare There

I thought you were in trouble again. I'm glad that you want to reach back a hand and help other people who are currently in the same shoes that you were in. Its inspiring to keep hearing how your life is getting better slowly but surely as you continue to stay sober. It definitely gives me hope.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:04 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Well done, Stu! I wish the best for your recovery, and those you will serve in recovery!
Old 09-06-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
not little, a stranger no more

That's really great that you do this Stu.I can imagine that you are exactly the right person for this and that the inmates can relate to you because you have been there too. From reading your posts, the advice that you give is no-nonsense, honest and straightforward. I'm sure you will be able to help many people.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Incredible Stu, I'm sure it is going to be an incredible feeling to pay it forward. Hell, walking thru the front doors is going to be priceless itself lol. I hope it goes well, we are all rootin for ya!

Jess
Old 09-06-2011, 01:52 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Can't wait to hear all about it. You have so much to offer them --as you have all of us. Way to go!
Old 09-06-2011, 02:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's a great thing to do, Stu!
Old 09-06-2011, 07:09 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

So proud of you, Stu. What a wonderful thing to be part of. Look forward to hearing how it goes.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:42 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thats an awesome thing to be able to do!
Old 09-06-2011, 11:23 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

So glad to hear that you are walking in the front door, not the back way in handcuffs.
Would love to hear about first visit.
Way too cool.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:24 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Its gonna be nice to walk in through the front for once.
And leave without posting bail.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Yep, thanks everyone. You see, while I was locked up I wasnt to that point yet where I could relate to the guy that was so drunk he backed his Roll Royce into his Olympic sized swimming pool. It took a while to realise that no matter what the circumstances the pain is the same. So thats what I hope to accomplish.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:55 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Great news....I'm sure you will help many people. Please let us know how it goes!

Best Wishes To You!
Old 09-07-2011, 09:28 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

You will be such a great inspiration to those who are looking for a new way of life.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:43 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
High on Life

I like how you put always put an interesting spin on things, that's great news!!
Old 09-08-2011, 03:42 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

It's great that you are going back to prison. Let us know how it went when you get out, lol.

I'm just joking around, Stugotz. Hopefully, my intended humor is not too much over the top. You have a real chance to help some of the guys. Your efforts are appreciated.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:55 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I did some H&I work early in my recovery. I'm in Southeast Asia, and the "rehab" here is, well, different.

I went to a National Police compound where the Department of Health runs a facility for alcoholics and addicts who are sentenced to eight-month stints of "recovery" treatment instead of prison.

A population of 600 guys are housed in open-air barracks in the tropics, and sleep on coconut-stalk mats on a concrete floor, **** and crap in a trench outside, and wear T-shirts, boxer shorts and flip-flops all day.

Treatment centers here are not 12-step based, but they have consented to allow NA into the facility once a week to be introduced to the program. I was the only American there, and much of the sharing was in a foreign language.

I went when my recovery was most tenuous, I was so shaky, wracked with depression, and whether I helped them or not, my presence seemed to brighten their day.

The drug of choice here is meth, alcohol costs about $1 a fifth, and glue use is rampant. So when the self-pity crap starts as I trudge to my high-rise condo with swimming pool, tennis court and fitness center, well, you can say I glean perspective.

The saddest part is seeing the kids march in formation, barely four-feet tall, nearly all glue addicts.

But they treated me like a rock start, amazed that a privileged white person would care enough to show up, share their story, tell them that we were all part of a family, that they were in a safe place, and that there was a means to continue their recovery once they were released -- the program of NA and AA.

The chances of those dudes staying sober is nil. But it helped me more than it helped them. I need to go back.

Stu, your program rocks....Just sayin'
Old 09-09-2011, 04:25 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Filled out the information packet for the department of corrections yesterday, all 11 pages of it. Plus a seperate page for every offense. Wow, I never really realised how messed up I was till I saw it on paper. Decades of crimes. The deputy I gave it to said he never saw an application so big. While I was waiting I saw a few guards that knew me from all my arrests, thats pretty bad aint it? Well hopefully I get past this stage and on to the meetings.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:38 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I think your "resume" will show you are more than qualified to do the work. Nothing happens by mistake, but things do happen for a reason.

Hell, you might even find out you'll be helping one of those dudes that arrested you in the past.

You never know. Good stuff, Stu.....Just sayin'
Old 09-11-2011, 03:11 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
Wow, I never really realised how messed up I was till I saw it on paper. Decades of crimes. The deputy I gave it to said he never saw an application so big.
Should have said, "Hey officer, it's just my searching and fearless moral inventory..."