Notices

Third day without, now the reward

Old 09-05-2011, 11:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scrubmuncher View Post
Well my one bottle turned into 2/3 days on a bender, as anticipated. I got in touch with the embassy and they are not prepared to help me get back to the UK so I can get the help I need.
I do not know what I am going to do next, I seem to be out of options and in quite a desperate situation.
They won't help you? Seriously, Scrub? Unbelievable... I'm sorry for you.

I asked this before, but here goes again: is there a GP there you could visit who could help you out - with detox meds, or ... anything...? A hospital/ER? AA or online AA meetings (or other real or online recovery methods if you're not into AA?). Anything?

You need to quit drinking, as you know. Find a way. Please.

BB
Old 09-05-2011, 11:20 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Or just quit, as sherman32 says (SR is always here...). But I'd be worried about your detox...

BB
Old 09-05-2011, 11:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I do not know what I am going to do next, I seem to be out of options and in quite a desperate situation.
If you'd care to read this thread front to back, you will see that you have been told what to do next. If not this thread, find an earlier thread where you've spoken of the same problems, and been given the same solutions.

You are nowhere near out of options, you are just refusing to take any of the options that have been presented for you in EVERY thread you've made regarding your situation. I could count at least 30 decent things written in this thread alone that you could do to improve your situation radically right now, but listening and acting on what is suggested are things only you can do.

No person, no country, no treatment facility, no Divine Power, no witch doctor, nobody, nothing can do for you what you are unwilling to do for yourself.

I don't know what you expected the embassy to do anyway, if you did actually get in touch with them. Fly you out of there so you can go back to the UK and drink your life away? Bro, your getting well isn't defined by a location, which means you'll be as miserable in the UK as you are right now where you're at. Rehabs, treatment, all of these things you're "waiting" to get back home to do? They won't work any more than the suggestions here will work, until you are prepared and willing to work them yourself.

Anything else written for your purpose at this point is just repetition, honestly, but if that's what it will take to snap you out of it I'm sure plenty of folks here will continue saying these same things again and again. Me, I can no longer sit here and repeat myself. I just wish you well at this point bro. I hope to see you post something along the lines of "Been Sober 2 Weeks", and I'll literally do a back flip for ya and likely crack my skull open in the process . But as I see it right now, judging by your reactions to all the help that has already been sent your way, I may as well be looking at my cat and expecting him to bark like a frikin dog.

You can read what these good folks have said and be detached, entertained, amused, melancholy, whatever, and then drink again... or you can step up, stop f***ing drinking for more than a few days and make an honest try at something.

Like I already said, this is all on you Scrub. If you're unwilling to change, be it AA, AVRT, or a $50 000.00 per month rehab facility in the Hamptons, it won't work. You can't be a tourist on this ride amigo, you must participate and initiate the change, and you have to realize that saving your own life is worth more than 2 frikin days of not drinking.

I will leave you with this link. It's a place that archives many a drunk's stories and troubles with booze. You'd be surprised (maybe) to find out there are people in this world who have had issues and life crises that literally dwarf yours and mine, and in spite of that they are sober, happy, and content today. Listen if you dare, you'll hear about what hitting bottom can really devolve into - and you'll also hear what they did to fix it. If you want change, follow what they did, do the same things for yourself and see what happens. Hell, if I want to play guitar like Van Halen I listen to Van Halen songs. If you want to recover, listen to recovered alcoholics and do what they do. Anyway, if you want to start somewhere, that's as good a place as any.

I wish you the best Scrub, I really and honestly do. If you ever do try being sober and working a program - PM me anytime after you've passed 2 weeks without a drink. I'll help you with anything I can at that point. I'm betting there are plenty of others here who will sign up for that promise as well.

Good luck.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:12 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

I tried for 15 years to stop drinking, Scrub.

A lot of people tried to help me with lectures and interventions and suggestions and contacts and introductions - I dismissed them all and went on my way

Eventually the inevitable happened and I nearly died.
I suddenly found a myriad of options for me that didn't involve drinking.

They all involved some effort, a little discomfort, some change - but they were a heck of a lot better than dying at 39.

I wish the same revelation for you Scrub - without the nearly dying bit.

We can give you all the advice in the world Scrub but we can't light the fire under you - I really hope you find the spark.

Find it, fan it, and there's a lot of people here who'll give you as much support as you want

D
Old 09-06-2011, 12:16 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

^ Shot from the hip, but mighty well said. I sign up for the promise.

BB
Old 09-06-2011, 12:17 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I refer to binderdonedat's post - crossed with Dee (also damn well said).
Old 09-06-2011, 05:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

why not go to an AA meeting? Google says there are english speaking meetings in DR.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:02 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Regarding boredom/rewarding yourself:
This is a big topic, but perhaps bigger than it needs to be. I'm about three months sober now, so take this like you would from someone with that much distance or lack of distance from the bottle: It gets better. Boredom goes away without you even really doing much. Of course, you should try to fill your life with good new stuff, but something physiological seems to change to make loafing around, eating popsicles, surfing the net, watching movies, whatever, a fine escape/reward after a while. It's weird, and I would not have believed it three months ago when the concept of just hanging around all night without wine would have seemed like Chinese water torture.

My advise would be that, if you're serious about getting sober, don't drink alcohol, even a little because it will lead you back to a lot if other peoples' experiences (including mine) bear out, (but maybe this is something you have to learn by experience). Anyway, the boredom issue will take mostly take care of itself if you manage to give it some time. Not that the overall "recovery" process is easy: It's quite hard trying to figure out what to do with your life instead of just boozing the days away--finding the right kind of love and meaning, etc.--but that part is not really boring.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:49 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happyplace View Post
Regarding boredom/rewarding yourself:
This is a big topic, but perhaps bigger than it needs to be. I'm about three months sober now, so take this like you would from someone with that much distance or lack of distance from the bottle: It gets better. Boredom goes away without you even really doing much. Of course, you should try to fill your life with good new stuff, but something physiological seems to change to make loafing around, eating popsicles, surfing the net, watching movies, whatever, a fine escape/reward after a while. It's weird, and I would not have believed it three months ago when the concept of just hanging around all night without wine would have seemed like Chinese water torture.
I love this post - thanks so much happyplace. This is EXACTLY what I've been hoping will happen to me. Not so much in relation to boredom (I'm not bored) but in general - the 'something physiological' which comes with distance, and which makes the 'new' less new, and old 'weird'.

Thanks again,
BB
Old 09-08-2011, 06:18 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

So I think this is a mental issue,
it's called addiction. alcoholism. thats your issue.

also, your reward in this situation seems to me like it would've been getting the assistance you say is not available to you now.

but guess what? not to be blunt, but there isn't a reward for everything you do in life.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:57 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

No, but special moments make for sufficient reason. Apart from when in hospital I think that was the only time in 20 years I'd been so long without the grog. I just need to be born again somehow, start over, learn a new life. I've just been offered a job at the university I would like to accept, if I can engage my brain for long enough to get my thoughts together, the first step in the right direction,,,,,,,,,,,if I can do it.