Notices

Hopelessness In Sobriety

Old 09-03-2011, 12:52 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi J41,

It sounds bad - really bad. I'm not in the US and have no idea what your options are. I just wanted to say well done on still being sober when you last posted and for getting to a meeting.

I cannot even imagine what you are going through. I wish I could send you my doctor - he gets it. I also just want you to know that I hear you when you say the mental illness part comes first. I'm so sorry you feel that this message isn't getting through to the people you've seen. But I think the point is that, even though it may be the primary problem, it cannot be treated while you are still drinking.

Frustrating though it is, that's why everyone's on your case to quit drinking first. But like I said, I don't know what your options are for achieving that in US. Based on your posts, you seem to feel you have exhausted them all. I'd like to think this isn't true.

Sorry if this sounds a bit feeble - just wanted to say that basically I understand your point, and also perhaps the subtlety that mental illness might be preventing you from being able to quit drinking in the first place (chicken & egg etc). What I know for sure and certain is that no-one can (even if they are willing) treat you for mental illness while you're still drinking. There's simply no point, it doesn't work.

Good luck to you and I hope you find some hope and a solution and a way out of this, so that you can get things back on track.

Don't give up - what you did yesterday (a meeting & staying sober) is FANTASTIC and says to me that you are made of stern stuff (amongst other things in your posts).

Best to you,
BB
Old 09-03-2011, 02:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
Theend, after being on these forums for a while I get the impression that I am indeed a low bottom compared to others. How many other people drink alcohol related household items to get a buzz? Sometimes I am so drunk that the hospital doesn't accept me & I'm forced to stagger to another hospital to take me. I owe probably a quarter of a million dollars to hospitals! I don't qualify for public aid & was denied disability after 3 years. I was once told that I was being given a special grant to Hazelton but that never happened. I realize that I am quite the drain on society but I have a serious problem.Thank god I didn't panhandle and I managed to hit a meeting downtown and am sober at this late hour. I believe that I am one of the few alcoholics who truely believe they will be dead in 5 years unless they get help.

Oh puhleeeeze, quit making excuses and wallowing in self pity.
You are not some special kind of alcoholic that requires special treatment.
If you want your problems to just go away, then by all means keep right on drinking them away.
If you truly want to stop drinking, then put the plug in the jug, stop making excuses, and start living a day at a time.
If you've been in AA before, as you say, then you know the drill.
There isn't a magic pill the doctor can prescribe to fix you.
Any mental problems you have are most likely the result of long term drinking.
If you want a better life, be willing to listen, for a change, to those old guys at the aa meetings, your way doesn't seem to be getting you anywhere.

I've been there done that, sit on a stump and be sober for awhile it will get better, but not overnight.