Notices

Please Help- Topic- Higher Power

Old 09-01-2011, 08:06 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

*From Dr. Bob's Nightmare. He also says "your Heavenly Father will never let you down."
Old 09-01-2011, 08:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

They can only speak of their own experience... Dr. Bob, as I understand, was christian. And yea, I read that feel sorry for you line also... IDK, that's one individual's way of communicating his enthusiasm... so what!

Don't get too hung up in words. Get your own experience.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Hobochk View Post
Please help- what is my higher power supposed to be? I do not covet a religious God. Any input would be much appreciated.
I cant tell you what your HP is supposed to be. I can you as a non-theist (atheist too) in AA what I make of the HP deal. I understand the whole shebang of things in secular terms. So I took direction from Alcoholics Anonymous Comes Of Age and made 'Good' my HP.
"We took A.A.'s Twelve Steps over to the largest Buddhist monastery in this province. We showed them to the priest at the head of it. After he had finished looking over the Twelve Steps, the monk said, "Why, these are fine! Since we as Buddhists don't understand God just as you do, it might be slightly more acceptable if you inserted the word 'good' in your Steps instead of 'God.' Nevertheless, you say in these Steps that it is God as you understand Him. That clears up the point for us. Yes, A.A.'s Twelve Steps will certainly be accepted by the Buddhists around here."
~Alcoholics Anonymous Comes Of Age, William G. Wilson, page 81.
I see my HP more in the lines of a 'Helping Potential'. I have found some 'Good' people in the rooms of AA that have provided me support. Along with an understanding of AA that has been very helpful. So far this is the best I have found so as to feel some sense of participation in AA as a secular person.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:07 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AVRT
Try replacing "God as we understood Him" with "DOORKNOB" in the 12 Steps to see how ridiculous that suggestion actually sounds.
I read and heard of many understandings of God. A doorknob sounds just as likely to me as any understanding of a mythological deity throughout time.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:53 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Zencat - you nailed it in that AA Comes of Age reference. That's it. When I read that a year or so ago I breathed a sigh of relief? Why bother with the rhetoric? It's a personal journey with a personal source of power and perspective - as long as it counters our sick mind! Thanks, man.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:00 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Personally, I'm glad that they kept that line in there from Dr. Bob, since he wasn't one to mince words. As a side note, Dr. Bob's children, Bob Smith and Sue Smith, wrote a book called "Children of the Healer: The Story of Dr.Bob's Kids" which is most revealing.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:13 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
I read and heard of many understandings of God. A doorknob sounds just as likely to me as any understanding of a mythological deity throughout time.
But a doorknob isn't mythological; it exists. If indeed its existence is just as likely as that of any deity, then there is a good chance that those deities are not mythological. :-)
Old 09-01-2011, 11:24 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

What if said doorknob is blessed by a priest.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:04 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

You're right, all. I shouldn't read this much into it. I do appreciate the 4 Noble Truths of Buddhism, BTW. Thanks, these posts gave me a lot to think about.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
~sb

Life is my higher power. It kept my heart beating when i tried to stop it.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:12 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AVRT View Post
But a doorknob isn't mythological; it exists. If indeed its existence is just as likely as that of any deity, then there is a good chance that those deities are not mythological. :-)
I wright my own mythologies. They are free for everybody to interpret. The doorknob of my understanding exist in all realms of existence and non-existence. I just don't believe it.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:25 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
instant

AVRT, not being rude but I do see my higher power in simple everyday objects. They have been placed there to help me. I can admire the design that has been handed down, the visual appearance, texture and more 'mindful stuff'. Simple man made objects can open the door to wonder and gratitude but not as obviously as a flower.