Notices

2 days sober.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 days sober.

This is my 2nd day of sobriety. I enjoy not being hungover at work. I enjoy the prospect of eating a healthier diet, especially removing the god-awful calorie count of 10+ beers a night. I enjoy getting off work at 2pm, and not being so drunk I end up falling asleep at 4:30.

It's frustrating to see all of these clear benefits, but still want to walk over to the store and grab a beer. Makes no sense to me at all. I want to burn that part of my brain shut with a soldering iron.

I'm really glad this forum exists. Thanks for being here for me to vent!
Old 08-30-2011, 04:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations!
Old 08-30-2011, 05:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome vastreaction - Glad you decided to join us!

I love my hangover free mornings, too.... It was so hard to feel positive about anything when I could barely manage to get out of bed.

When I got sober, the addicted part of me didn't shut up all of a sudden..... It took quite a while to go away (it still pops up occasionally, but doesn't throw me off anymore). Think of things to help you get through the cravings..... the more you do it, the easier it will get.

Congratulations on day 2!
Old 08-30-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by Vastreaction View Post
This is my 2nd day of sobriety. I enjoy not being hungover at work. I enjoy the prospect of eating a healthier diet, especially removing the god-awful calorie count of 10+ beers a night. I enjoy getting off work at 2pm, and not being so drunk I end up falling asleep at 4:30.

It's frustrating to see all of these clear benefits, but still want to walk over to the store and grab a beer. Makes no sense to me at all. I want to burn that part of my brain shut with a soldering iron.

It will pass! It worked for me that when that thought came into my head I'd 'hear' it....acknowledge it ("that's an alcoholic thought"), dismiss it ("I won't be listening to that then") and come up with an alternative ("but an extra hot mocha from starbucks would be awesome right now").
Old 08-30-2011, 05:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to have you with us Vastreaction
congratulations on day two - please stick with it

D
Old 08-30-2011, 05:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, and congrats on your sobriety!
Old 08-30-2011, 06:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Congrats! It will get easier!
Old 08-30-2011, 07:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I am only eight days dry, but feeling more optimistic and less anxious than I have in years. I like the advice about telling the alcoholic voice to just shut up, all done with you.

Congratulations on taking the first best step, Vastreaction.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vastreaction View Post

This is brilliant, Vast, well done!!! You have a great attitude!!

I'm only on day 12 and I can tell you that already those 'thoughts' are diminishing and getting much easier to dismiss. I didn't ever really have the pull to drink that you describe, but I had the hardest time in the early evening with reconciling myself to my 'new life'. I mean, I still am having a hard time with it. But less hard. Way less hard.

Keep saying 'no', it's not what you do anymore, you don't want to go through this again, right. The decision is already made, you know it's the right one, you're seeing the benefits, so focus on them and hang in there.

Good job,
BB