Notices

Want a beer? No I'm good thanks.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Want a beer? No I'm good thanks.

We'll as of the 25th of this month, I hit 4 months sober! As Bill and Ted would say, "Most Excellent!"

So, to the point, and whats new.

Feeling good people! Feeling good!

The other day I was out and about with a friend of mine, and we stopped off at his buddy's place to have him look at his truck because he was having some issues with it. After we jump out of the truck, the first thing I notice is his friend and his wife are sharing a six pack. No biggie to me really, but I do eyeball it a little. But its short lived. Anyways, they work on the truck, but then need to leave to go test drive it around the block. I'm left there with the mechanics wife. We start to small talk a little, and then it happens. She offers me a beer. This is the first time ANYONE has offered me a drink since I quit 4+ months ago. I just politely say, "No thanks, I'm good, but thanks." Of course she has no clue who I am, nor that I am newly into recovery. But it did feel really weird to be asked that again. Outside, I'm sure I appeared normal after being asked, but inside my mind was grinding some thoughts! Things like. "Wow, i just got offered a drink!" "Damn, I hope she doesnt think I'm rude for saying no." "I can't believe saying no was that easy!" Things to that effect . While this may not seem like a big deal to some of you, it was just strange to me. It was a weird feeling to be offered a drink again. A lot of my friends drink, and the ones I still hang around with all know about and support my recovery. So, being around them when they drink doesn't bother me anymore. But being offered a drink by a complete stranger made me feel helpless a little. See, I know my friends wont offer me a drink, or even if I asked for one they wouldn't give one to me. Thats in stone. But when someone offered me a drink I don't know, and they have no clue who I am, or my recent background is a little scary. I ABSOLUTELY 100% have no interest in going back to my old life style, but at that moment with a simple 3 letter word "yes" I could have. Thats what felt weird to me. The freedom of choice. I could have said yes, and to her it would have bee completely normal. Of course, when my friend came back things would have changed lol, but you know what I mean.

Just to clairfy a few things. It was real easy to say no. I really DIDNT want a beer. I'm sober now, and WILL stay sober. It was just the first time this has happened to me is all, and I'm sure there will be many more times like it in the future. Its just one more obstacle I have successfully leaped over with flying colors. But it was strange for sure!

So anyways, just wanted to share that with you all. To touch base with everyone, I'm doin just fine! Taking things slow, relearning to live sober, FEELIN GOOD, and just all around a "Happy Hangover free Sober Locomotive driven individual working on staying sober!" RAWR!!!

hahahaha alright. Take care all! Stay strong!

-Ryan
Old 08-29-2011, 06:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sober time!

No thanx, I'm good... should work nearly everytime. When it doesn't, it's their problem not yours.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats...well done!!
Old 08-29-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow - this is cool, I love it :-) It's like a representative, 'real life' test or something. She doesn't know you, doesn't know you're just off the sauce (unlike your other mates), and you just say 'no thanks, I'm good' with perfect poise and equanimity AND you even mean it.

Fab.

'Grats on your 4 months! Can't wait to be there!

BB
Old 08-29-2011, 07:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

That is really good news you bring us..thanks...
Old 08-29-2011, 07:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm happy to hear your doing so well in your recovery! Keep up the good work.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 08-29-2011, 09:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Congratulations on 4 months! Awesome!

I heard a speaker online that was asked if he wanted a drink. He said, "no, thanks, those things get me drunk." The other guy says, "ok. I understand."
Old 08-29-2011, 09:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's excellent. I'm nowhere near the stage of not habing that argument with myself over 'just one beer' but hoping to get there. Stay strong!
Old 08-29-2011, 02:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 4 months.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats. After awhile I wa amazed to realize that actually, saying no to a drink was totally normal, because plenty of non-alcoholics will decline a drink just because they DON'T FEEL LIKE HAVING ONE AT THAT MOMENT! This wa a real revelation to me because during my drinking, I never *didn't* feel like having a drink, lol!

GG
Old 08-29-2011, 02:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good job and congratulations on your 4 months.
Keep it going.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Originally Posted by RyanRed View Post
Anyways, they work on the truck, but then need to leave to go test drive it around the block.
Who was test driving the truck? If my mechanic was sharing a six pack while working on my car, he would not be my mechanic for too long, friend or no friend.

Congrats to you, Ryan. The more you say "no thanks" the easier it gets to say "no thanks". No excuses needed.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
love it RyanRed...truly most excellent, dude!! Yes, indeed the freedom of choice is powerful. Choosing no and meaning it and feeling good about it is powerful.

Rock on with your new and improved self
Old 08-29-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks all! I love all the kind words

As for who drove the truck, yeah my friend's friend (mechanic dude). But I'm with you on that he wouldn't be my mechanic either!

-Ryan
Old 08-29-2011, 08:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great post, Ryan. I've used the phrase "I'm good" in the same situation. It sounds so casual, but there's a lot of meaning behind those words.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Passing those private but important tests of resolve is such a blast. Well done. Some types might ask what will you do to reward your fine self now?
Old 08-29-2011, 08:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I know the perfect reward: another day of sobriety!
Old 08-29-2011, 09:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Congrats on 4+ months!

On Friday as I was leaving work I was telling a coworker about how I'd had a long miserable day and he said something like "Well, just go home and have a beer and forget about it." I just smiled at him and said, "Yeah, or maybe I'll just take a long bath."
Old 08-30-2011, 04:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

That's awesome news, Ryan! Congrats on 4 months.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Congrats Ryan on your 4+ months, you've come a long way I'm so happy you are at the point of feeling comfortable in your sobriety to not only deny a drink but to have NO desire or questioning going on inside your head!!! Go YOU!

-Jess