Notices

What is your biggest motivation to stay sober???

Old 08-28-2011, 06:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
orangutan

My health and my husband.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

my child, closer relationship with God, my health and more $ in my acct
Old 08-28-2011, 08:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

At one point, right after I quit drinking, I had convinced myself that every bartender in the worlds goal was to keep me very drunk and to take my money. The same with every alcohol producing company. They don't care about consequences, health, mental matters, or anything besides the money in their pocket. They don't care about you at all. They just care about your money. Looking back at that paragraph, I believe I was right.

That is probably my biggest motivation to stay sober today. The fairy tales of alcohol advertisement. At some point I enjoyed drinking, but it quit being fun after I became obsessed with it. Then I was producing my own fairy tales and alternate realities.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

my health, joyful days, more productiveness in my job... I could list hundreds of things.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

To be capable of following through with my commitments and promises.

Alcohol took that away from me, and made my words worthless. I want to stay sober to make my promises have value and mean something again.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Mine would have to be knowing a true happiness that I've never known.
I know I can get through anything. Sober.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:44 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Not throwing away the life my parents gave me by boozing my way through it. Not missing all the joyful moments of raising my children by boozing my way through it. Not screwing up my business by boozing my way through it.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I felt the cool breeze on my face this morning as I looked around me and felt a power inside of me grow...enjoying life.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:12 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I love the comment about the crows. I notice so many things when I'm just out and about. Instead of thinking about how ****** I feel. I can get excited over a god damned bird now. Life is good.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:15 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I had heartburn so insanely bad. I had to buy Prevacid and take 1 every single day. Those are expensive. All so I could drink. Now I don't buy booze OR Prevacid. What a novel idea.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

My biggest motivation for staying sober is remembering where I came from. I don't want to go back there. Living one day at a time is the easier, softer way.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Computer Surgeon

Initially my only motivation was not dying a slow, horrible death. Now, my motivations are countless. Simply being present in this moment and experiencing this gift of unpolluted consciousness is probably number one. My wife and family, they’re right there too. And of course also at the top is the chance to help others. No one should suffer like we suffer. At our own hand no less.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

My biggest motivation has to be my health. (Mental and physical!) I also want to get rid of the unbearable guilt that I have for making my parents see me blind drunk.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:34 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I was going to start a thread like this one, but I dug this one up instead: To be completely honest, since I have already lost so much due in part to alcoholism:

Having a home, having my health, having a girlfriend, having my brain still working (at least a little), salvaging what little social skills remain, a hope at reconciling with my estranged family (though that seems like an insurmountable task and makes me want to drink more), hoping that my GABA system will get back to "normal" not that it ever was normal. Having a hope at succeeding in business and work, feeling that sense of wonder and joy I once knew as a child, confidence in knowing my right from wrong.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:40 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I think to find out who the real "me" is. I've been drunk or hungover almost my entire adult life... I'd like to see what I'm really capable of
Old 11-03-2011, 01:17 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
MINEr

Breathing.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:32 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Being able to hold my head up again, being released from all the shame and misery.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:12 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

So many reasons. First and foremost, my sanity and the ability to feel normal human emotion. Secondly would be physical health. Of course there's countless others, like losing weight, saving TONS of money, never waking up wondering what I did/who I pissed off/who I might have slept with. And as an added bonus, I can confidently go to a show anywhere and not have to worry about getting roofied!
Old 11-04-2011, 12:30 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Selfishly, for me. I was terrified from a long term blackout, and can't afford one again. Ever.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I came within a hair's breath of dying from alcohol. If I pick up a drink I'll die. That works.