Notices

2 months

Old 08-27-2011, 07:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb 2 months

I am new to this forum. I met the two month mark a Thursday. There are many days now where I don't even think about alcohol.

I attended AA meetings for the first month, but I was becoming increasingly uncomfortable in them. On Thursday, I went to an AA meeting. I found it terrifying; suddenly I felt terribly insecure about my sobriety. So I don't think I will be repeating that experiment for some time.

I started drinking in high school, when I sixteen. Partying was enjoyable, but I did it infrequently. I was an excellent student and was accepted to a prestigious university. In college, I continued to go out with my friends and drink occasionally. During finals week of my sophomore year, I took my first "problem drink." It was a strange sensation, like the glass was magnetically attracted to my hand. I managed to put it down. It took some time for the alcoholism to fully blossom, but I always recall that particular evening.

Now, after all of the trauma and ******** of my addiction, I feel like I am back at that same place. With the wisdom (and burden) of my experiences, I can give myself council.

Anyway. Just sharing.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and thanks for posting. Congrats on two months. Keep working your sobriety and recovery, through AA or a hundred other ways. Find whatever works for you and work it, it's worth it.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

You had feelings. They change. They had to do with you, not a meeting. Find a variety of meetings or another program, then work on changing your self. Otherwise you''ll end up miserable and maybe dry, not sober. Best wishes!
Old 08-27-2011, 08:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome and well done on your sober time....

We have many members here who are winning over alcohol...useing all sorts
of methods and programs. Please keep posting...glad to see you..
Old 08-27-2011, 09:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Thank you for sharing. It was a powerful post...love that!! hang in and rock on!
Old 08-27-2011, 09:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post and welcome - I look forward to more from you.

BB
Old 08-27-2011, 09:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thereunconfined - Thank you for a great post. Alcoholism snuck up on me in a similar way. It was all fun & relaxation, until I found myself completely dependent on it.

Reaching 2 mos. is admirable. So many cave in the early days, finding it hard to face reality without a buffer. I almost lost my life trying to live it in a numb & foggy state.

I'm glad you shared your feelings with us. Please do more of that.