Notices

I am NOT going to rehab b/c it is 12 step based

Old 08-25-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am NOT going to rehab b/c it is 12 step based

There are no other options where I am.

I am NOT doing it. It is a waste of my time. I will find another way. I will.

I have already made a good step - I have taken time off work. It's my life. It's time to take charge.

I don't take issue with the whole 12 step program, just lots of it. And not even the spiritual part. I'm ok with that part.

I am going to be That Person (in the eyes of AA) who does it Their Way, although really there are LOTS of people who do it their way. I am not the first by a long shot and I won't be the last.

I am NOT going to 12 step rehab...I am not wasting everyone's time and money on that.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

That seriously sucks that you have no other rehab options other than 12 step ones.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by spryte View Post

I have already made a good step - I have taken time off work. It's my life. It's time to take charge.

I don't take issue with the whole 12 step program, just lots of it. And not even the spiritual part. I'm ok with that part.

I am going to be That Person (in the eyes of AA) who does it Their Way, although really there are LOTS of people who do it their way. I am not the first by a long shot and I won't be the last.

I am NOT going to 12 step rehab...I am not wasting everyone's time and money on that.
There are certainly many ways to sobriety, and I'm not sure why you reference AA in the manner that you did.

I found sobriety through 12 step programs, and I certainly don't shove my way down anyone's throat, nor do I begrudge anyone who finds a different path to sobriety.

Wishing you nothing but the best in your journey!
Old 08-25-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

well, Freedom, historically, I am not one for shoving any worldview down anyone else's throat.

That is true. Look up all my comments. I really dont.

Put yourself in my shoes: yourself in the days before you went into rehab. That's where I am now.

And I care about the rehab facility...I have been trying to quit drinking for a long time now. I have tried lots of methods, keeping an open mind. I feel qualified to comment on AA.

I am a fair person, and I will speak my mind.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Yes, many people have found recovery without AA; I am one of them. The thing that concerns me is when alcoholics make the "I WILL NOT" statement regarding what they are willing to do to recover. In my opinion, until a person is willing to do WHATEVER it takes, even something they never would have before considered, they aren't truly desperate enough. I'm sure some will disagree with that, but it's the way I feel. When we are desperate, we will try anything, whether we "have problems" with it or not.

That having been said, I wish you nothing but the best.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please use PM and share with AVRT.....I beleive he has info that might suit your situation re treatment centers.

No one here cares if you do or do not agree with AA or SMART or celbrate Recovery or ????? whatever you have found not to your likeing.

We do all want everyone to find their way into a sober healthy future...

Me? I've never been to any rehab or treatment center ..wondering why you think it is necessary?
  # 7 (permalink)  

suki, My fear of 12 step recovery is that i've already gone to AA. I've already tried it. I read the book, I got a sponsor, I joined a group, and i kept drinking.

My mind is so open it's like a cavern. I have tried AA.

Maybe if I try AA on a 24 hour basis in rehab, I will GET it? Maybe?

Advice anyone? My other options that I am considereing are going to a yoga ashram and just working and doing yoga for a month or so...and that's it.
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by spryte View Post

Have you actually tried a twelve step approach, or just attended the meetings?

Plenty of people get sober without going to treatment, maybe look into other methods of recovery if you're too resentful at 12 step programs? This site lists many.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Eyes Open, No Fear

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Yes, many people have found recovery without AA; I am one of them. The thing that concerns me is when alcoholics make the "I WILL NOT" statement regarding what they are willing to do to recover. In my opinion, until a person is willing to do WHATEVER it takes, even something they never would have before considered, they aren't truly desperate enough.
I feel that this "I WILL NOT" statement simply means that the poster knows her own mind and so knows what will not work for her.

Although I am relatively new to sobriety, I am doing it without AA/12 Steps or rehab. I am very confident in my sobriety. It can be done and I hope you find your way to do it!
Old 08-25-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

well, Carol, maybe it's not necessary. I just don't want to ever drink again. I want everything to come to a stop.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, many people have found recovery without AA; I am one of them. The thing that concerns me is when alcoholics make the "I WILL NOT" statement regarding what they are willing to do to recover. In my opinion, until a person is willing to do WHATEVER it takes, even something they never would have before considered, they aren't truly desperate enough. I'm sure some will disagree with that, but it's the way I feel. When we are desperate, we will try anything, whether we "have problems" with it or not.

That having been said, I wish you nothing but the best.
Yes, same red flag got raised for me too. It never ceases to amaze me that we can admit we cannot stop drinking, and that we need help, yet we somehow know what will and will not work for us. The arrogance of this condition never ceases to amuse me.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My only experience with rehab is I attended a 12 step based rehab and it saved my life. It got me out of the drinking/drugging environment for 30 days and gave me the tools to stay sober once I was discharged.

I celebrated 21 years this month, so I'll continue doing what works for me!
Old 08-25-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Eyes Open, No Fear

Originally Posted by EricL View Post
Yes, same red flag got raised for me too. It never ceases to amaze me that we can admit we cannot stop drinking, and that we need help, yet we somehow know what will and will not work for us. The arrogance of this condition never ceases to amuse me.
Yikes, this statement scares me and comes across to me as arrogant in itself. Maybe it is not that one 'cannot' stop drinking but just hasn't as of yet. Again, that's how it was for me. I did try to stop over and over again. and I didn't until I did.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
I feel that this "I WILL NOT" statement simply means that the poster knows her own mind and so knows what will not work for her.
Don't forget, our own minds got us into addiction in the first place.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

well, I guess the decision comes down to: should I go to rehab (fully funded) or go to an ashram (i pay, i did it 6 months ago), or stay here (I WILL keep drinking) ?
Old 08-25-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
Yikes, this statement scares me and comes across to me as arrogant in itself. Maybe it is not that one 'cannot' stop drinking but just hasn't as of yet. Again, that's how it was for me. I did try to stop over and over again. and I didn't until I did.
Did you do some different the last time? Or, was it the first time you had tried. Why would somebody be looking at treatment options if they can simply stop...
Old 08-25-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

well, maybe i can do it here, maybe i can do it
Old 08-25-2011, 01:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Spryte, no one here can tell you what to do, but if you honestly think you'll drink if you stay put, then please consider something else. This is a situation that requires complete and total honesty with yourself. If you truly want recovery, then you have to grab on to it. Otherwise, nothing is going to change.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I've been trying to stop drinking since i was 28 and now i'm 35 - but i'm an achiever, so i keep going. this summer it caught up to me and i was addicted and had to go home at lunch and drink, i could not keep up.

and the negatives are gross - the people i have slept with, my career in the gutter, my lost friends - i make $100k a year but i don't own anything other than my car

i want to get it right...i have a bad feeling about 12 step rehab...i'm just being hnonest
Old 08-25-2011, 01:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Eyes Open, No Fear

Don't forget, our own minds got us into addiction in the first place.
which is exactly why it can get us out!

Spryte, there are other options than the few you listed I think. I agree with Carol - contact AVRT (the member) via pm for some information or visit the secular forum, you may find more info there as well. I think your statement of "I will keep drinking" says a lot though. What if you start telling yourself "i will NOT drink" instead?

EricL - yes I did do something different this time. Mainly I stopped believing that I couldn't do it. For me the hardest part was actually stopping - once I got through the first few days and weeks and saw that life does not actually suck without alcohol, it was much easier.

The method I am using is AVRT and for me, it works.