Notices

Gratitude

Old 08-24-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gratitude

I went to a meeting today and the topic was gratitude. All of these thoughts were swirling around in my head about what all I was grateful for and then it was back to basics.

There was a drunk lady in there that shared. She went on and on about how she had nothing to be grateful for and yacked about God knows what else.

After the meeting she was hanging all over people, slurring and talking loudly. People offered to drive her home and she said no, that she drank last night.

I am just so very grateful to be sober today. That is no way to live and I can see it clearly now.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A few weeks ago I saw someone drunk at a meeting for the first time and it was a real eye opener!! The crazy thing is it was on a Saturday and happened to be the two year anniversary of someone I loved dying. I went and put flowers down at local college where she had passed and decided to hit a meeting right by my house.

This guy was slurring his words and I could smell the alcohol on his breath. I was sitting around outside of the meeting chatting with my friends there. Everyone knew this guy was wasted but he swore up and down that he wasn’t. Eventually he gave us his car keys and agreed to call a cab. Then he pulled out a spare set and said “do you think I’m really that stupid and pulled out another set of keys!!” Someone called the police so he would not drive. They ended up calling his mom and she grabbed him under the arm and dragged him out. The man was in his forty’s. So yes, I was grateful to not be wasted and drug home by mom on a Saturday night.

Apparently people coming to meetings drunk is something that does happen. In a strange way I am glad I viewed this as it strengthened my sobriety.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing Elizabeth. Gratitude is very important in my recovery. My sponser had me write a gratitude list when I was early in recovery. Now I do the same and have my sponsees write a gratitude list. There is always something to be grateful for, and sobriety should always be #1 on the list.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There are some meetings I've been to where people who have been drinking are asked not to share but they are welcome to be there and listen. I get grateful too when I see someone like that. Gratitude has a certain power within it, it's hard to feel bad and grateful at the same time.

I heard a couple of sayings early on that have stuck with me.

"The things you're grateful for you get to keep, the things you're proud of...you lose."

and..."grateful people are happy people and those who aren't, aren't." :-)
Old 08-24-2011, 12:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys.

This experience just made me realize that sobriety really is a precious gift for this alcoholic.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have been to a couple of meetings where someone there has been drinking. They were brought to the meeting by someone who is trying to help them. I don't judge, if they have a desire to stop drinking they should be there and hopefully it will help them.

It's also a visual reminder to everyone else there, and I'm sure a lot of others think to themselves, "man, I don't want to be like that anymore."
Old 08-24-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

All that comes to mind is that could be me if I do not work my program.

I cannot relapse again. I have seriously hit rock bottom and put the shovel down.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

I went to my homegroup meeting and P showed up. My gut says her "errands" included a drink...she just wasn't functioning well. Just my gut talking.

I know how sick I was by listening and watching her.

I am grateful for my sobriety today.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi everyone....

You may not have noticed ...but we have an entire Forum dedicated to shareing your gratitude

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/gratitude-list/

Please do come read and post if you wish....everyone is welcome
Old 08-25-2011, 10:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
abc

Regarding drunk people at meetings, I think that's how recovery groups (SR, AA, etc) work. The drunk newcomers need the sober people to show them how to get sober. And the sober people need the drunk newcomers to show them why they should stay sober. It's a mutually beneficial arrangement!
Old 08-26-2011, 07:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by abc View Post
Regarding drunk people at meetings, I think that's how recovery groups (SR, AA, etc) work. The drunk newcomers need the sober people to show them how to get sober. And the sober people need the drunk newcomers to show them why they should stay sober. It's a mutually beneficial arrangement!
Very well put!