Notices

Need advice....Thanks

Old 08-15-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need advice....Thanks

Hello,
My name is Rich, and I am an alcoholic (a real one as described on page 21)
Last drink, 6-23-2008

I need some advice and my apologizes if this is off topic but.....

One year ago last Sunday, I made a decision, and that's exactly what it was, a decision, to replace a anti-depression prescription with a medical marijuana card. I spoke to my doctor, close friends, sponsor and a few other's close to me before i made this decision, so quite a bit of thought went into this. I decided to get the card, lay down some heavy boundaries and for the last 12 months have been using pot moderately. Last Sunday that card expired and I had to make another decision, to renew and continue what I've been doing or let it expire and get honest. I've decided that the benefits are not worth the battle that has gone on in my head over the last twelve months.

I did not smoke anything prior to having that doctors script nor have I since it expired.

Should I still raise my hand as a newcomer, or put it behind me and move forward?

Thanks in advance..........
Old 08-15-2011, 06:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Hi Rich and welcome to SR.

You will find there are a variety of opinions on this topic. What ultimately you will have to do is figure out what you feel is right for you.

It is my personal belief that AA is a treatment for the alcoholic. The only requirement for AA is a desire to stop drinking. That does not say stop using/smoking/etc... AA is alcoholics anonymous. A sober date in AA is the date one has stopped drinking. NA/CA/MA/etc... are programs for specific drugs as well. But the sober dates for them are still when one has stopped using the substance for that particular program. But it is up to you if you feel you should change your alcohol sobriety date due to the use of a prescribed drug.

Personally, I believe for me part of being sober is abstaining from medications/drugs that are not prescribed for me and using those that are prescribed for me as they are prescribed. I also do not believe that using other substances while trying to find sobriety is beneficial. I do not believe in the marijuana maintenance program. But it is not my place to judge anyone over substance use/abuse.

As I said before this is just my opinion and you will here others that may contradict it but the key to remember is ultimately you have to live with yourself and the decision you make about your sobriety date.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Puttnutt24, I agree largely with what nandm said. It's a matter for you to decide. I'd say if you were using it to get high then that's one thing but if a doctor prescribes it for let's say a cancer patient than that's another. Since your sponsor is aware of your use I'd ask him or her what they think. Asking for advice at an AA meeting can be like trying to get a sip of water from a firehose so I wouldn't recommend asking there.

When I went into treatment to stop drinking in 1987 I told them upfront that I wasn't planning on stopping smoking the spleef and they said okay. It turned out I gave that up 3 yrs before my sobriety date but I certainly wasn't using pot legally.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Rich,

If the marijuana was for medical use and not abuse then I don't see why you relapsed; but it's really your choice. You know in your heart what was going on.

As someone on anti-depressants who doesn't want to use them forever though, I'm wondering how the MJ worked out for you as far as the depression goes. You can PM me if you prefer.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

If I take or what medications I use with my doctors advice is between
my doctors and myself. I don't ask AA members for their opinion.

I also don't ask my doctors on how to continue to live in recovery.

welcome to SR....