Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Combining AA with other recovery approaches, and seeing a lot of progress

Notices

Combining AA with other recovery approaches, and seeing a lot of progress

Old 08-17-2011, 11:29 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

HP, my take on it is that addiction (like many other disorders) has several levels that need to be healed - spiritual, emotional, mental, physical, social... I can see why AA is so effective sometimes, as I do believe that only the spiritual level can fully affect the other levels (just my opinion, no flames please).

That's not to say that your mind might not benefit from additional tweaking (CBT/SMART), or that you might not profit from seeing a therapist to address emotional trauma and social re-insertion. Exercise -even if it's just a 10 minute walk every day- can be very healing too.

Long ago, I put all my eggs in one basket, and wound up with an inedible omelette mix. I now think that it's better to spread them out more evenly.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Interesting perspective. Certainly, developing the spiritual has been a huge help...this is where the Spiral Steps have been so useful, as it couches the helpfulness of the spiritual in ways that compliment the work I do with my therapist, and works well with the other aspects.

Oddly, I have been getting more exercise now that I am taking the train to work...I walk about an hour a day, or more, and this has also helped.