Notices

Just one

Old 08-14-2011, 05:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just one

got to stop saying that

Managed to do nearly 4 days sober, last night i locked a few of my mates in the bar and we got trashed.
but that all started because i justified 1 pint of lager.. then the next, and the next.... then that was it, i was drinking to get smashed..

but yeah it cant be "just one" with me, i guess that the same with most people here. *sigh* try again
Old 08-14-2011, 05:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Yup, it's true for me. No such thing as "just one" in regards with alcohol and drugs. It's a horrible trick our minds play on us and for us alcoholics it always fails miserably or we wouldn't be here. I've been there though, don't beat yourself up. Just pick yourself up and learn from the mistake. It's never worth it, that's for sure.

x
Jess
Old 08-14-2011, 08:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One's too many and a thousand aren't enough.

I think we can all relate Liquid. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, consider it a lesson learned the hard way and resolve to not drink today. No sense beating yourself up because it accomplishes nothing except to make you feel worse.

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 08-14-2011, 08:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Ok....so what are you now planning to with this new knowledge?
Old 08-14-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can do "just one" for about 3 mons , and then its back to full blow me
Old 08-14-2011, 09:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I can handle just one... for about ten minutes.

Total abstinence was the only true solution for me. Once you accept that then you can work towards trying to achieve long term sobriety.

Best of luck
Old 08-14-2011, 09:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Be glad you're finding that out now, Liquid. It took me decades of insising I could control it to finally surrender - but not before I left a huge path of destruction behind me. The last time I was going to have just one, it became a 3-week long binge that I almost didn't make it out of. That's when I found SR.

Glad you are here & talking about it. You can turn it all around and have a better life, one not controlled by alcohol. Keep talking to us.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What I had to get in my deepest being is that I am powerless over alcohol. That means when I drink, I have no control over how many I drink or what happens. Normal drinkers can decide to have one drink but this alcoholic can't. They have an internal switch that allows them to stop but I lack that.

That's what they mean by "the first drink gets you drunk"
Old 08-17-2011, 12:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I’ve never understood ‘just one’, my mind just never comprehended it, sure it starts with one…

I’ve found that ‘just one’ is just too much mental work, none is so much easier.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ditto what the others have said here as far as living for today and one being too many and 100 not enough. I've been there, too. What struck me is the face banging its head into a wall... that IS how it feels, and sums it up. We beat ourselves up (against a wall) and then try it again. We have a disease that fools us into thinking we can have "just one." However, it VERY rarely turns out that way, as you know and/or are learning. Keep up the learning, for sure. Hopefully that doesn't mean you need to drink/drug more to find that out. What's worked for me is finding similar, safe people with whom I share a similar outlook and "spiritual" ideology. I can only share what's worked for me. Take care of yourself. Hope all goes well, one day at a time.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't have a clue what you guys are on about. Just one always worked for me! ... until I'm finished that particular drink. Then it's on to "just the next one", then it's "just a few more", and so on and so on. Eventually enough time passes, I'm wasted, something else in my life implodes, and I realize that I had already known the end result before ever beginning the experiment.

Don't bang yourself up about it liquid, we've all been there. Start again and learn the lessons this slip is showing you.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
instant

I don't do moderation all that well, even if I can start off ok. It's too much work.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your input on my thread, its much appreciated

i do have to keep in mind that i can control myself even if my mind says i can.... tough cookie to crack... but i will get there.

Thanks again
Old 08-17-2011, 10:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

How are you doing today?

It is def. not easy. Nothing worthwhile will come easy You gotta keep going at it until you reach that goal. I am glad that you keep posting, I always find it helpful. I'm here for ya *hug*

-Jess
Old 08-18-2011, 12:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
AMD

You know what's really bad is that I never thought of "just one." Maybe just two or for. My sister and I used to joke that "just one" or two was only enough to **** you off- just a slap in the face. Never thought there was a problem either. At least now tryng for sobriety my old thoughts work in my favor to deter one or two. I won't get pissed either way.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Liquid, I hope all's going well, or at least alright, with you. If you care to, please post an update as to how you are doing. Find as much support as you need. I've found that to be key for my own sobriety/sanity. Take care, and wishing you well!