Notices

First Drinking Dream

Old 08-13-2011, 11:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Drinking Dream

I had my very first (and so far, only) drinking dream a few days ago. Before having it, I'd wondered why I'd never had one. So many people have them. I thought maybe I wasn't processing being sober far enough into my psyche or subconscious, or whatever. Lo and behold, I then experience one finally.

All I really remember is that I was living in an awesome, gorgeous two story apartment that had really tall ceilings... like maybe 25 feet celings (I'm sure my power bill would have been outrageous!). I was in the downstairs and poured a glass of red wine... probably pinot noir or merlot. It was in a nice big fat red wine glass. Threw it back and drank a big gulp of it...

What is significant in this dream is that it was such an automatic behavior for me. I didn't "think" at all... just robotically poured and threw it back. Only after I drank it did I realize... and then I felt bad. Realizing I'd broken my stretch of sobriety without any thought whatsover about doing it. That's what bothered me... not so much that I drank it, but that I did so automatically and without a thought, mind was blank, nothing.

Then I woke up.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

There's no place like home. There's no place like home.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The nightmares that accompany DT's are the worst for me.

I compare my dreams about alcohol to my dreams about ex-girlfriends. Past loves that never worked out.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've never had a drinking dream but I've had a real life situation almost like your dream. Once, I poured a glass of wine, drank, and then thought "Why did I do that?"
Old 08-13-2011, 07:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Rejoice! The part of your brain that is addicted knows it can't you to drink while you are awake, so it has to "indulge" while you are comatose and helpless. That means that you are winning over your addiction!
Old 08-13-2011, 07:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never worried about drinking dreams Jennie...I did marvel at their level of reality tho.

I just considered them some kind of subconscious cleaning out of my brains 'temp files'...after all I drank for a long time....

D
Old 08-13-2011, 09:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Gone In

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
... not so much that I drank it, but that I did so automatically and without a thought, mind was blank, nothing...
My drinking dreams are always like that as well, without any reflection or thought I take a drink, and then
Old 08-13-2011, 09:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BASEjumper View Post
My drinking dreams are always like that as well, without any reflection or thought I take a drink, and then

Wow. That makes 3 of us.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'm not actually worried about it. I'm sort of relieved. Guess I'm normal now LOL.