Notices

Hello, I'm New

Old 08-10-2011, 07:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello, I'm New

Hi all, I've been here forever, and have gotten so much from all of your posts. Briefly, I started drinking about 6 years ago, hardcore, day thru night (alcoholism is in my family, I have lost both my parents from it, and I'm only 45) and now, after fighting it, and struggling with it, I'm at twice a week. Every time I drink, I binge, as all alcoholics do of course, the classic sign of alcoholism. ;O( I could quit right now with probally no withdrawals, but somehow I just can't seem to say NO even that ONE time a week, I just get that damn URGE! ;O( Any suggestions? I'm Not physically dependent,I know that, it's totally a mental obsession, how do I beat it??? ;O( I'm not UNhappy sober, I actually FEEL better! It's just that damn mental obsession! I want so bad to quit and can't seem to do it. ;O(
Old 08-10-2011, 07:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the posting side of things YouandTequila

Support made the difference for me - the support of people here was what helped me through when I really wanted to drink even tho I knew it was a bad idea.

I also knew I needed to make some serious lifestyle changes - I was in a crowd of drinking buddies - I had to let them go...I used to do nothing but watch TV and drink...I needed to get more active....

Basically action was the key for me Y&T...I wanted to be sober badly - I'd really had enough - literally, nothing was too much for me to do

good to have you with us

D
Old 08-10-2011, 07:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I've found a lot of support here at SR. I feel the concern of the members here for each other. It's a big help to me to log on and feel right at home.

Besides this site, I see a fantastic addiction counselor once a week. Have been for at least three years. It helps me a lot in staying sober. Having someone I can confide in and get suggestions and opinions from, a different viewpoint. Is counseling an option for you? I highly recommend it.

It is possible to stay sober. I've got twenty months now and it seems like only yesterday that I was drinking all day, every day. I love sober life. I love being fully aware and present in my life. I take better care of my dogs and myself. There are so many rewards to living sober.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

to SR
Old 08-10-2011, 08:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

to SR.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome....
Old 08-11-2011, 06:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank-you all. I apologize for the angry post (was drinking). I have seen an addiction counselor, years ago when I was at my worst and for whatever reason it didn't help at all and was costing me a bundle. ;O( Maybe I didn't want to quit at that point. It's very frustrating because I know how much happier and healthier I would be sober, yet I can't seem to say no to it. I feel horrible the morning after drinking, depressed unbelievable, unmotivated, and irritable. I hesitate about going to AA, for fear of running into people I know, and I would go alone, because my husband would never go with me. I really just want to do it myself, with the help of these boards. I truly feel like I want to quit, I'm not afraid to "never drink again", I like that thought, I just can't figure out why I keep giving into that urge every few days. Thank-you all for listening. ;O)
Old 08-11-2011, 12:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome YouAndTequila - The mental obsession was the hardest for me, too. Once I started "entertaining" the idea of drinking, it was almost like an automatic response.... get the keys, drive to the store, and get the daily bottle of wine. Over and over and over......

I'm not sure there's any easy way to turn the thoughts off, but it helped me to play the tape all the way through to the regret, the hangover, and knowing that things would only get worse if I didn't stop. The obsession did fade. It took some time, but it was so worth it.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

You have a choice, keep experimenting and see if it gets worse, or surrender. There is a solution....there are programs to help. Are you willing to live sober or continue in this way? Your choice! Best wishes