Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

It's Almost Time For The NFL, & Beer Commercials...

Notices

Old 08-09-2011, 04:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can't believe I didn't see this coming. As a former fan of drinking & current fan of the NFL, I always looked forward to football season. Normally, Fall Sundays meant lots of grilling & lots of beer. I honestly like watching the games, but it also provided me with the perfect opportunity to use it as an excuse to drink beer all day.

I've been sober for 49 days now, & I will not drink. My question for sports fans who have been through this is, does watching beer commercials all day make cravings more intense?

Brian
Old 08-09-2011, 05:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I quit in April '89 so when the Redskin season started I was already AA sober.

My first home group in D.C. did many things outside of meetings..yes
football...food and fellowshipping were some of those..

that happened too when I re located twice..and I still watch and ejoy things sober.
the best thing about sober football watching is I not only know who won..but how.

I pay no more attention to the ad's than I do for other things I won't be buying.:
I'n just thrilled we will be having a season this year...

Go Falcons!
Old 08-09-2011, 05:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

It's difficult for me not to drink during games or events, but the commercials are just about everywhere. Even listening to sports radio on the AM dial, there seems to be a beer ad every break... I'm just starting again now (5 days), but I'm getting better at looking through those commercials to their inevitable end.. intense hangovers, DTs, death.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My sport of choice is basketball, so when I quit the season was in full swing.

The beer ads- and the AMOUNT of beer ads- kind of bothered me at first but like Carol I was able to tune them out soon enough. And like Carol, not being wasted meant that I was able to pay more attention to the games.

If drinking while watching football is part of a social routine, you might want to have an exit plan your first few games in case things get rocky. Otherwise I think you'll begin to find it great that you can watch the games and still have the rest of the day to do whatever else you want to do.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I tend to ignore commercials, but this post caught my eye because I just completed "DUI School" and there was much discussion/material on this.

Beer and liquor companies do a great job romanticizing the drink and making consuming them seem carefree and fun. For us alcoholics, that is obviously just not the case. We were their biggest customers. They never show fatal car accidents, cirrhohcis of the liver, DUIs, jail, insanity, etc.

We just have to tune them out and find a new and better way to enjoy football. At least now you will remember all of the plays.

Congrats on your sobriety!
Old 08-09-2011, 06:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Why not mute the TV during commercials and read some posts here?
Old 08-09-2011, 07:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is sadly ironic. I've been a loooong suffering Saints fan since I was a kid. I acquired a jar of moonshine to celebrate the Saints making it to the Super Bowl in 2009. As a result of the firewater, I don't remember anything past halftime & lost consciousness during the 4th quarter. So as my favorite team won their 1st championship, I was passed out on the couch. I woke up the next day & had no idea who had won the game. At least I know it'll never happen again.

Brian
Old 08-09-2011, 07:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i'm a huge sports fan. Last year was my first football season sober. I did worry about Sundays. And Thursdays, and Mondays. And college Saturdays ..well, you get it. I found i really enjoyed watching the games sober.

As for the commercials, i didn't notice any more than i notice drinks in movies, TV shows, ads for alcohol all over the place, signs at stores, the beer and wine and liquor all over the grocery store.

Alcohol is part of our society. Many people can drink it without being an alcoholic. After a while, you get used to it and for me, it does not bother me.

If the commercials bother you, use ad time to get up and do something else so you don't have to watch them.

enjoy football. Enjoy remember the games. Oh, and GO BEARS.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Will be stepping out of the room

I just recently quit, and I plan on stepping out of the room, or better yet, getting on SR during the breaks as ReadyAndAble said.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have been a lifelong Steeler fan, and haven't missed a game, (preseason, regular season or post season), since 1995 thanks to satellite, and honestly I enjoy the game alot more sober, and you get used to the commercials, some are funny, plus I remember the games now.

If you can get to a point where you don't want to drink, you won't even think about it.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Serenity today

Originally Posted by Supercrew View Post
honestly I enjoy the game alot more sober, and you get used to the commercials, some are funny, plus I remember the games now.
Me too.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I enjoy grilling, watching, and chatting with friends more than ever sober!! The food tastes better. Your not present when you are drinking so you really are not enjoying the moment. It's all a lie when your drinking. Nothing better than enjoying things sober and not feeling like crap the next day. And screw the commercials. They are BS just trying to make you feel inadequate and no fun unless you drink. That's their goal of marketing the alcohol with beautiful thin people. What BS. I have never meet a fit glowing person who drinks beer all the time. Govt. needs to start controlling the marketing of alcohol like they have with tabacco. Sorry for the rant but just tired of the rampant glorification of alcohol use.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Watching beer commercials do not make me crave beer. At first they were a distraction but they don't affect me at all... Figures crew is a steelers fan ... LOL

Go Giants.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Focus on recovery......make it your top priority.....and if you do it right, that stuff won't bother you at all.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
Focus on recovery......make it your top priority.....and if you do it right, that stuff won't bother you at all.
My exact sentiment. Does watching hot women in those commercials or the cheerleaders on the sidelines with tight little outfits, plastic boobs, and push up bras make me want to jump in bed with them? Not if I want to remain a happily married man.

Same with the beer commercials. If what you want to do is remain a happy sober person, you will learn to ignore them. I know that neither one is for me.....But I can look anyway................Keep your focus.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
MINEr

I work Sundays. Go Niners.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I enjoy the heck out of watching football sober. I like Green Bay, the Patriots, and the Saints.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Supercrew View Post
If you can get to a point where you don't want to drink, you won't even think about it.
Yup.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I'm not much of a sports fan and I wasn't a beer drinker so none of this triggers me in the least.

BUT I got sober right before labor day weekend...and after that I had my high school and college reunions (within the first month)...and after that came Thanksgiving (did I mention I'm a great cook, and was used to cooking with wine (for both the cook and the food)?...and after that came Christmas and New Years and.......

So I know that "dang, I sure picked a great time to get sober, didn't I?" feeling!!!!! Yeah, it's tough, but you know what, looking back on it what I remember the most was actually how NICE it felt to be sober for all those events. Not that it was easy, but it was great not to be the screwup who was knee-walking drunk by the end of the evening, and not to be all hungover and gross the next morning.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm investing in a cheerleader outfit this year. You think I'm kidding, but I'm not. I have a new boyfriend, and I won't sit back and watch while those women and plastic boob chicks flash across the screen. I'm doing something about it!

Oh yeah... War Eagle! Go Tigers! We'll be watching Auburn Tigers college football. Have to support my team!

Originally Posted by tomdecel View Post
My exact sentiment. Does watching hot women in those commercials or the cheerleaders on the sidelines with tight little outfits, plastic boobs, and push up bras make me want to jump in bed with them? Not if I want to remain a happily married man.

Same with the beer commercials. If what you want to do is remain a happy sober person, you will learn to ignore them. I know that neither one is for me.....But I can look anyway................Keep your focus.