Notices

Failed

Old 08-07-2011, 05:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Failed

Well i didnt even last 2 days. i could have done if i had just stayed at home, but i went out with my GF for diner. i didnt drink excessively either, 2 bottles of corona and a pint of cider, but its a fail non the less.

I didnt feel like i had to drink, more that i wanted to. How will i get around this "i want to" feeling towards alcohol?

Urgh. start again on monday i think
Old 08-07-2011, 05:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Many of us had false starts before we actually quit....I sure did...

Please do begin anew and Yes! you too can win over alcohol...
Old 08-07-2011, 05:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

oh ok... if at first you dont succeed, try and try again

Going to start again tomorrow, i wont be doing anything for 5 days
Old 08-07-2011, 05:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

About as close as I get to booze is being at the store, and its been nearly 6 months.

Literaly twice i was around others i knew that were drinking only because i happen to run into them, being sober sucks sometimes but living drunk sucks worse.

You might look at changing where you go and what you do and even what you think about, i was a big relasper unti I realized that even being around booze or thinking about it too much was bad for me.

I have eventualy started going to resturants that served booze but not at first, we have problems when we drink because we drink too much or it causes other problems in our life, we liked to drink, thats why you 'want to'.

Now you got to 'want to' quit, it aint easy for a lot of us but it is so worth it.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Sorry you drank but today is a new day and a new start. Keep trying because we are never beat till we quit trying.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The "want to" goes away and it DOES get easier with time.

GG
Old 08-07-2011, 10:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You stopped drinking before, you can do it again.
Most alcoholics try to sober up and can't at first, but in time something "clicks" and we just stop drinking.

You will soon "want" the feeling you get from sobriety more than the feeling you get from a pint of bitter or lager or cider or even a bottle of Corona!

No shame in failing, only shame in giving up w/out trying again!!!
Old 08-07-2011, 10:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi liquid, I relapsed too, more than once. I heard something that stuck with me.

"You're not a failure till you stop trying."

The feeling of wanting to drink will subside eventually. I had to be convinced that alcohol and drugs just didn't work anymore, that it made things a lot worse.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your replies.

I will keep trying, 100%. Today is attempt No.2
Old 08-08-2011, 04:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by liquid View Post
Well i didnt even last 2 days. i could have done if i had just stayed at home, but i went out with my GF for diner. i didnt drink excessively either, 2 bottles of corona and a pint of cider, but its a fail non the less.

I didnt feel like i had to drink, more that i wanted to. How will i get around this "i want to" feeling towards alcohol?

Urgh. start again on monday i think
Don't know your past, but a pint of cider and 2 bottles of corona is hardly alcoholic territory, you stopped after these which is not really a failure!
Old 08-08-2011, 05:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's hard to change our lives liquid...many of us struggled in the beginning.
Wanting to drink - despite the clear problems it bought me - was a problem it took me many years to get around... support helped a lot.

Look around for support - both here and other places. You can do this.
Good to have you back

Just a word on 'excessive drinking' tho:

Don't know your past, but a pint of cider and 2 bottles of corona is hardly alcoholic territory,
I think we have to be careful we don't put forth our opinions in such a way as to suggest they're facts

There are standards throughout the world for recommended moderate drinking guidelines

guidelines put forth jointly by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (2) define moderate drinking as no more than one drink a day for most women, and no more than two drinks a day for most men. A standard drink is generally considered to be 12 ounces of beer, 5 ounces of wine, or 1.5 ounces of 80-proof distilled spirits. Each of these drinks contains roughly the same amount of absolute alcohol--approximately 0.5 ounce or 12 grams (3).
a pint of cider and 2 coronas is outside, and quite a lot outside, these guidelines.

it says a lot that we can look at that on a forum like this and not think it 'excessive' or even necessarily indicative of a problem.

D
Old 08-08-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

double post
Old 08-08-2011, 06:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I saw that as the one of the same problems I was facing in early sobriety. I really liked drinking but I was also well aware that the consequences were quickly approaching a level where I couldn't take them anymore.

Working the AA program - the steps- totally stopped all that madness for me. Add to it, most of the other areas of my life started to improve as well...so much so that the "wanting do drink feeling" going away was really just the tip of the iceberg.

Do some investigating and try some different things out......try to be as open to new experience as you can. I can tell ya that, once you find the right path to sobriety, things will really turn around. You CAN have a happy, content, and enjoyable life without the madness of alcohol.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
I saw that as the one of the same problems I was facing in early sobriety. I really liked drinking but I was also well aware that the consequences were quickly approaching a level where I couldn't take them anymore.

Working the AA program - the steps- totally stopped all that madness for me. Add to it, most of the other areas of my life started to improve as well...so much so that the "wanting do drink feeling" going away was really just the tip of the iceberg.
yes it is a problem, esp as all my mates go out and party... i dont know, i guess ill just stay away from them for a while.

ive looked at the 12 steps here an read the AAs steps and they are not for me. its very, erm "find jesus and he will save you". although i dont disrespect religion i cant turn to it just because i have a problem.... i just dont believe in it. i get the first step "realise you have a problem", but the rest means nothing to me.

im going to follow a 2 step program.

step 1 (as above).... done
step 2 (deal with it).... in progress
Old 08-08-2011, 10:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gwizz View Post
Don't know your past, but a pint of cider and 2 bottles of corona is hardly alcoholic territory, you stopped after these which is not really a failure!
it is a failure if you were trying to stop drinking, yet gave into temptation. yes a few beers were a far cry from the litre n a half of vodka i was drinking nearly every night on my own. and where would it end if i justified one or two beers a night..... i wouldnt knowing me.... i have to quit because i cant be trusted.

i was good that night, but it wasnt what i had intended after 40hr of not drinking

but thanks anyway
Old 08-08-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

a pint of cider and 2 coronas is outside, and quite a lot outside, these guidelines.

it says a lot that we can look at that on a forum like this and not think it 'excessive' or even necessarily indicative of a problem.

D
Thanks for that, i should have been clear in my my first post, i had just writen it else where on this forum. I drink excevivly more that a few beers. I was just trying to quit, and gave into it.... when i did give in it was only a small amount. a normal night (before this weekend i would consume a liter and a half of vodka or similar strngth spirts
I also should probably mention that i manage a bar and i am constantly around alcohol, so this might be a bit tough for me unless i quit my job
Old 08-08-2011, 07:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

From my experience, AA has nothing to do with Jesus or the bible. If you ever truly find out you are powerless over alcohol (as your dinner experience might indicate) then you might be open minded enough to realize that a power greater than yourself might be needed to obtain total sobriety.

AA is not a religious program, though its founders were steeped in Christianity. It's a spiritual program, and there's a big difference.

A decade ago, it was the God Thing that turned me off of AA. Now it's the "power greater than myself" that gives be the power to remain sober and to address nearly every facet of my life.

There's something to be said about an addict's or alcoholic's bottom.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Heh, it's not really a "find Jesus program" but I hear ya..... that's what I thought about it too.

and, for what it's worth, the first step discusses (in it's longer form) how your option 2 isn't possible...that I can't deal with it. Try as I might, I just can't stay sober for long - sooner or later, something crops up and derails my plans.

Give your deal a shot though...it might just work for you. Lord knows I tried everything I could think of until I finally surrendered and gave AA a legit shot. And if it makes you feel any better, I don't know of one person in there who ever walked in, believed it would work and was excited about doing it. Nope, all of us had our reservations, doubts and resentments toward the 12 steps, the process, the higher power concept, and AA in general. So ya see, it works for even the ppl who don't believe in any of it.......but it does require that you try it. In that regard, it's kinda like getting a shot at the doctor's office. I don't have to understand the molecular biology of how it works, I don't even have to believe it'll work, I don't even have to like the doctor or like getting shots......but I do have to get the shot to see if it works.

If that's not where you are now, it's not where you are. Do your best and if it works, great......if it doesn't, we have a sure-fire way that will. AA will still be around and there will be 100's of ppl who will have walked the same path as you who'll be more than happy to help you out.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for that, i should have been clear in my my first post, i had just writen it else where on this forum. I drink excevivly more that a few beers. I was just trying to quit, and gave into it.... when i did give in it was only a small amount. a normal night (before this weekend i would consume a liter and a half of vodka or similar strngth spirts
I also should probably mention that i manage a bar and i am constantly around alcohol, so this might be a bit tough for me unless i quit my job
I didn't see your other post, no, so I'm sorry for that.

I don't want to put you down for stopping...anytime we rethink what we're doing and stop is an achievement, and one I rarely managed myself.

But any amount of alcohol kept me in the loop...it wasn't until I had about 90 days sober that I began to realise how screwed my thinking was, thanks to alcohol...even when I was sober.

I remember I managed to stop one night...then thought I could do the same another night....it didn't work....it never worked.

I fell for the illusion I was in control, but it was more luck than anything, I think.

I think you know all this too, Liquid

D
Old 08-11-2011, 01:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

i do Dee, it sounds very familiar. Thanks