Notices

any tips?

Old 08-05-2011, 10:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

any tips?

has anyone got any tips for easing the withdrawal symptoms of alcohol?

ive just decided to quit today, threw all my booze away just now (a lot). i want to be prepared and get what ever i need today
Old 08-05-2011, 11:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You'll read this again. Please check with your doctor, he/she will be your best source of both information and provider of assistance. That being said, this may be one of the best decisions you've ever made. Welcome and my best thoughts to you.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Personally, when I stopped, I went form 2 or 3 half-gallons of Captain's per week to nothing......instantly. The courts wouldn't give me the option of rehab either. It was just, bam...alcohol tether, you're done.

Thankfully (luckily?) I didn't have any physical withdrawal problems that I was aware of - none of the biggies anyway. No tremors, no shakes, no splitting headaches, no DT's... Or, maybe I had some of those things but the felt "normal" because I was just accustomed to feeling like crap - lol.

Others though, they DIE from alcohol withdrawal. It's WAAAAY serious. You're gonna do what you're gonna do....and I get that. I pretty much never go to the doctor's office. My family and friends hate that about me - it drives them nuts.

When it comes to alcohol withdrawal though, really.......don't F**k around with this one. If you get to feeling really crappy, get your butt into the ER or a clinic, or your local doc's office immediately.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

You should consider reading this thread: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Please speak to your doctor. It is possible to die from alcohol detox. We can't give medical advice, we can only share our experience with you.

Good luck to you!!
Old 08-05-2011, 12:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lots of water (I prefer seltzer water, ice cold), eat regularly and frequently (good stuff in small amounts), get some exercise (take walks, go to the gym, ride a bike, swim - anything physical) sleep whenever you can, and talk to other alcoholics.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks for your responses.

ive been drinking around 30 odd units a night. bout a litre n a half of vodka. I dont think im going to die from withdrawal but im definatly going to die if i continue to drink that much.

i worried that if i dont do something now (today) then it might not ever happen.
I will get to a doc, but it will have to be in a week or so...

if i feel anything i will go to ER
Old 08-05-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please do take time to read the link PaperDoll posted..it has info
that could really help you know when to go to an ER

Wishing you all the best a sober life brings...:.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks yes i read it.
I will take this seriously, and not ignore the symptoms. 24hrs now... nothing yet
Old 08-05-2011, 08:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Talk to a doctor

Seizures can arise abruptly even a week after being free from alcohol.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi liquid, First, congrats on getting rid of the liquor supply. That is great. After my first seizure which happened about 24 hrs after my last drink (that time) the doctor at the hospital told me that once an alcoholic has a seizure the chances of it becoming a pattern increase......meaning that if I drank again I could have another seizure. He was right.

I couldn't be scared sober with the risk of another life threatening seizure. The next time I went to a medical detox (a few months later) and even with the medication they gave me, librium, I could tell something wasn't right. I couldn't talk without a major stutter. I tried telling the medical staff there that stuttering wasn't normal for me but they released me after a few days into the treatment center. I had a seizure during my first group therapy session.

Enough about my nightmare, eh? My tip would be to have someone there with you to help. Lots of water and deep breathing and keep posting here to let us know how you're doing. I wish you a quick and safe detox. Hitting a meeting soon might be good too.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you are like me,this is a far cry from the first time i tried to quit. I always looked back to the times I failed and how it happened. One thing that became very apparent was this ain't easy. I myself used AA to "get the monkey off my back". When we face an obstacle,we need all of the help we can get. Doing this alone will make it more difficult.
Whenever a craving comes around,play the tape all of the way through. It's easy to forget the bad things,and only remember the temporary relief we get from giving in. Force yourself to remember the bad things that happen. (for me, one was sending drunken emails to sober people)( Hiding from everyone after 5 oclock)etc etc etc.
Another thing I did was tell myself. "Drinking isn't an option,might as well forget it". When your mind knows there is a slim chance you might give in,it will keep on reminding you. When I got cravings I kept telling myself drinking just is not an option. It ain't happenin. For me thats what made it so much harder once I gave in. My mind knew I gave in once,it will give in again. It simply has to be out of the question.
Another thing to think about is the freedom of getting away from this crap. Just like a very long journey,this happens one step at a time. We don't need to think about loosing our balance over the next hill. We only need to focus on our balance now and the next step. Time going forward seems to take for ever. But if we just keep our balance for the time being before long you will look back and realize you have come a long way.
I wish you the best... Fred
Old 08-06-2011, 12:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thanks you

Well im 24hrs in now, and i dont really feel anything. i had a crappy sleep, and im pretty tired today and really hungry... but thats about it. I guess it will be bad later on tonight and ill be climbing the walls

Its hard to emagine a life with out drink. i kept going to the fridge and hunting around last night... subcouncsiouly looking for a beer, even though i threw everthing away.

Thanks for the advice, i will try to keep in mind that it is not an option, drink lots of water (i do anyway) and try and eat healthy food too
Old 08-06-2011, 01:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

A multivitamin will help as well.
Be kind and good to yourself. You can do this. Looking forward to hearing about the progress your making.
Do not give in. One day at a time.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tallcactus View Post
A multivitamin will help as well.
Yeah forgot about that. When I was in rehab the shrink perscribed B complex. Seems to help.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If you know anyone in recovery - and most of us do, even if we have to consider people who are twice-removed or so from our immediate circle - consider contacting them. If they're truly in recovery, they'll be grateful for the chance to be of service and can provide quick, first-hand knowledge on any of those issues that come up...and keep coming up.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Givemecoffee

You are doing the best thing for your body, family and friends. I have personally had relapses and am currently in my 3rd program for help. But I did have a lot of SERIOUS health problems associated with drinking and withdrawals can kill you. The last time I decided to detox I went to the ER and ended up finding out that alcohol not only kills your liver (I have alcoholic hepatitis and I am only 30) and pancreas, but it depletes your bone marrow, therefore depleting your white blood cells. I ended up getting extremely sick and was in the hospital for over 2 weeks. It is a great thing that you are quitting, but doing it alone is almost impossible and the withdrawals can be horrendous. I thought I was going to die. I am not saying that to scare you or anything, but just be very careful and watch for signs because you are going from drinking A LOT, to nothing. Good luck to you and I wish you luck all the way! I hope you have a great support system because it really helps.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Givemecoffee.......Welcome

All my best as you continue to improve.... I'm so glad you did get professional help.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

When I tried quitting last time (today I am on day 2 again) I was at an AA meeting and my legs kept shaking. I wasn't nervous, I was just constantly shaking my legs up and down, like fidgiting. A man came up to me after the meeting, it was a new comers meeting so he knew I was new and he suggested I keep sugar in my pocket such as a piece of candy or sugar pack or drink orange juice. He said my body is craving the sugar that use to be in the booze.
I will be taking this advice this time around again.
Hope it helps.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Be vigilant. The symptoms sometimes peak at about 3-5 days.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

thank you all for your advice