Notices

Do you think I have a drinking problem?

Old 08-05-2011, 05:04 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Well, freestater, the thing is that the early drinking patterns of alcoholics often start out pretty much the same as they do for people who don't develop an addiction. Over the years, I've known plenty of people who drank as much as or even more than I did in my teens and 20s, who had no trouble at all slowing down as they got older.

I do not subscribe to "if you have to ask the question, the answer is yes" theory on this issue; the reality is that it can be hard to tell. But for what it's worth I don't think you are an alcoholic NOW. Doesn't mean it won't happen, and I'd be very careful if I were you.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by freestater View Post
... I dont drink beer anymore because it doesen't really get me drunk, it just bloats me and makes me feel annoyingly full. So mostly. Vodka and coke
I drank for 30+ years. The first 25 or so I stuck to beer and wine. Then beer quit working for me. I could not get a buzz with any of my old favorites.

So I switched to vodka instead. Within a year, I turned into a black-out drinker and had to have a "hair of the dog that bit me" in the morning to avoid the DT's.
My life went quickly down-hill shortly after that.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
Well, freestater, the thing is that the early drinking patterns of alcoholics often start out pretty much the same as they do for people who don't develop an addiction. Over the years, I've known plenty of people who drank as much as or even more than I did in my teens and 20s, who had no trouble at all slowing down as they got older.

I do not subscribe to "if you have to ask the question, the answer is yes" theory on this issue; the reality is that it can be hard to tell. But for what it's worth I don't think you are an alcoholic NOW. Doesn't mean it won't happen, and I'd be very careful if I were you.
Sorry, I dont agree. (english is not my first language, sorry). Normal drinkers would not say these things:

"-- I remember the first time I ever got drunk and thinking it was the best feeling in the world at the time;

--I instantly fell in love with the feeling

--I dont drink beer anymore because it doesn't really get me drunk

--can't imagine going through a full week sober.....I mean how boring would that be"

These statements are serious signals of alarm. I am sorry to say that, but it is what I think.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
~sb

I started with liquor, ended with beer. Alcohol is alcohol.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I think it's awesome that you are self aware enough to ask this at your age! I think you should try and quit for 6 months...I know you say a week is hard to imagine but try the 6 months...

Whatever you decide, please proceed with a great deal of caution if you continue. Alcohol is capable of addicting almost anyone but some of us are far more susceptible than others.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:09 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

what LaFemme said ^^^
Old 08-07-2011, 10:00 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
I drank for 30+ years. The first 25 or so I stuck to beer and wine. Then beer quit working for me. I could not get a buzz with any of my old favorites.

So I switched to vodka instead. Within a year, I turned into a black-out drinker and had to have a "hair of the dog that bit me" in the morning to avoid the DT's.
My life went quickly down-hill shortly after that.

See I'm not really a black out drinker, and I dont drink to the point of being totaly wasted. I blacked out once about 2 years ago on a new years eve when I had waaay to much. But that was in the early days, and since then I have a much greater respect for the power of alcohol. I know my limit, and seldom venture outside of it, unless theres some form of really special occasion going on.

It's just that I still like to have my drink at the weekend. I have gone off it before for a month. I was in hospital with a heart Virus(not related to drinking at all, and I'm totaly better now) and was told to go off alcohol and take it easy for a month. As well as give up smoking.

I gave the fags up completaly and have not gone back on them since that. I went off alcohol for about 2 weeks and then started drinking slowly again. I had no real bad side effects during this time period off it(short as it was)

Anyway thanks for the replys everyone.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:10 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
~sb

How do you know alcohol didn't contribute to that virus? Alcohol does create a weakened immune system. Doctors treat what they encounter and don't look at why.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:05 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
How do you know alcohol didn't contribute to that virus? Alcohol does create a weakened immune system. Doctors treat what they encounter and don't look at why.
Well I asked the Doctor and was told that the condition I had can be caused by alcohol as well as smoking and certain drugs.....but that, that was not what had caused it for me. I was just unlucky enough to encounter a Viral case of it. Obviously I myself do not know if alcohol was a contributing factor, and dont think it did not enter my mind. The doctors however told me it had nothing to do with it. Fair point though.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
~sb

So, do you think you are a problem drinker?
Old 08-07-2011, 07:37 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Firstly, I'd like to say welcome and wow, I remember thinking at your age that if I kept drinking in the mornings, I'd be an alcoholic like my dad, so I stopped drinking in the mornings and would drink in the afternoons, night and right up until the early hours of the morning to deal with that. I certainly didn't have your level of understanding that's for sure. As for whether you have a problem with alcohol, I can only say what was said to me and that was that I needed to decide whether I had a problem or not. Only I could make that decision. If you're asking the question, well, what was told to me recently was that 'normal' drinkers don't usually ask whether they have a problem with alcohol and they don't normally spend Saturday evenings sitting in an AA meeting.....something to ponder on....

I was also told this by an older sober member of AA...."Alcoholism is cunning, baffling, powerful and patient..."
Old 08-08-2011, 08:34 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
So, do you think you are a problem drinker?
Honestly no, I don't think I am a problem drinker. I dont reach for a bottle mid week if I happen to have a crappy day. It's nothing like that. I am extreamly fond of a drink though. More so than many people I know, and thats what caused me to think long and hard about it.

It's not a problem for me at all at the moment, and If I can keep it as it is then I dont even want to change anything. I can easily make it through the week sober and perfectly content with that. However when the weekend comes, then it is time.

It's not so much the level of alcohol I drink that made me consider having a problem.....It's more the way in which I view it. I just love drink. It doesen't rule my life, but it is a part of it I can't imagine being without. I look forward to it.

I'd like to thank everybody for there replys. I found them very insightful and learned a fair bit. Greatly appreciated!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
~sb

Best wishes to you!