Notices

Addiction Treatment Entails

Old 08-03-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Addiction Treatment Entails

Far more than putting the bottle down. Seems like a no brainer...yes. Being very slow on the learning curve...such as I. It can get very challenging for me to let go of some very ingrained old malfunctioning ideas. There is where being in a recovery community can help..me and others that need assistance with progressing along a healing path.

People like the mods here at SR, among others, do take the time to point out defects in my behavior. I am grateful for not only that assistance but also for the compassion, tolerance and patience shone to me.

Aside from the frustration I feel by repeating the same ole callous disregard for the members here at SR, members for the greater part that do mean well...I just get stuck on the same personal issues...issues that thwart my positive regard for other members here at SR and eventually have my big fat foot in my mouth.

So to get to the point...like my bad behavior is the point. I apologize, as hope to have a greater recognition, with the help of my fellows in recovery that care to bring to my attention, the ways of my behavior that need correction.

I am a slow learner, I do repeat the same mistakes, yet above all I can learn..have learned..and will continue to learn...but I cant do this on my own, I need help.

Thanks for reading, thanks for you time you put in here to help others like myself. Just thank you.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Talking

nobody is perfect here or out in the real world Zen! (not even me!) :rotfxko
Old 08-03-2011, 11:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We recover together. We all make mistakes but we are not a mistake. When we work on our issues in recovery we learn who we really are. Once we know who and what we are, we don't have to be what we were. Today, I am myself...perfect. I am thankful to my HP for helping me to change my attitudes...one day at a time. You do contribute alot to SR and appreciate your efforts.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post

People like the mods here at SR, among others, do take the time to point out defects in my behavior.
One of the things I like about SR is that I can usually take my words back. If I submit something and then see it as how it looks to others, at least I have a few minutes to use the EDIT button and temporize the message.

I have used this feature dozens of times and learned some things about myself along the way. Sometimes even a minute or two is enough for me to detach from my initial feeling and see where I am doing more harm than good. I wish f2f transactions were like that.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you missmargo916, your words are a comfort. Yes I'm not alone in this. I need to be shone that I need support in order to change. I get so caught up in my own stuff I neglect to see what thoughtless on my part has the lesson to see how much I need to pause and learn and not react from ignorance.

24hrsAday, thanks bro. I have much to learn from your example. You know I dig your insights

Boleo, thanks for taking the time to comment on my thread. I may be hardheaded, but I can appreciate the truth. Thank you.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Heathen

Wait.. you're not perfect!?

Old 08-03-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

.."No self-judgment, no self-criticism and no self-dislike allowed today! None of it! You are who you are, and who you are is perfect, just as it is."

— Ed and Deb Shapiro, spiritual teachers
Old 08-03-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
One of the things I like about SR is that I can usually take my words back. If I submit something and then see it as how it looks to others, at least I have a few minutes to use the EDIT button and temporize the message.

I have used this feature dozens of times and learned some things about myself along the way. Sometimes even a minute or two is enough for me to detach from my initial feeling and see where I am doing more harm than good. I wish f2f transactions were like that.
I tend to forget this bit of wisdom, but...
"Be careful in Speaking. With your rivals from prudence; with others for the sake of appearance. There is always time to add a word, never to withdraw one. Talk as if you were making your will: the fewer words the less litigation. In trivial matters exercise yourself for the more weighty matters of speech. Profound secrecy has some of the lustre of the divine. He who speaks lightly soon falls or fails."
- Baltasar Gracián y Morales
Old 08-03-2011, 02:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

We are all on the same side... We are not adversaries. We may have drastically different "worldviews" (I learned what that means here, LOL), we may have very different paths, and different ways of expressing ourselves. And in them, we may disagree, get angry, whatever... We feel strongly and that's good... But the enemy is not us.

We should remember that people will take what they will from this forum... Perhaps any one of us has the ability to enlighten another, change their mind, show them a new way... but perhaps we don't... it's not up to us. And that's not really our job, though I tend to forget that.

I believe that we are here to share our experience... You share yours, I share mine... If you or I help someone take another step in recovery, does it really matter whose post made the difference?

What gets me in trouble is when I go outside my experience, and I am guilty of that. What makes me mad is when someone tries to tell me what my own experience should be... or, that my experience is untrue.

If we cast our experience out there for others... well there it is, they will agree, disagree, understand or not... But if we have shared our experience, only our experience, then we contribute to the mission of this web site... To get and stay sober and to help others do the same.

Relax. Tell us what you do, what worked for you, what is it you want us to know. And let me do the same.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you; smacked, recoverywfaith, AVRT and Mark. Thank you.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lucky for me...my Mod powers allow me to edit or remove my post past the 15 minutes I had to edit as a member.
Yes I too wear no haloes ...

The important thing for me....I try to not take it personally when
others don't agree or ignore whatever it is I'm shareing

It's the shareing that I too find beneficial....

Forward we go....side by side .
Old 08-03-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
We should remember that people will take what they will from this forum... Perhaps any one of us has the ability to enlighten another, change their mind, show them a new way... but perhaps we don't... it's not up to us. And that's not really our job, though I tend to forget that.
Thanks, Mark. I forget this too...all the time.

And thanks a million, Zencat, for your courage and honesty. Ours is the same struggle.

If only for a moment, every day a few lurkers summon the gumption to step into the light of active posting while many, many more continue to soak in our ramblings in silence. In such an atmosphere, exclusionism and/or program bashing is acutely toxic. Recently I felt a strong desire to nitpick at a program that runs counter to my experience. In the end I didn't. But, it's unsettling to think about how close I came to potentially providing a lurker with an excuse to avoid a program that could save his life!
Old 08-03-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

(((Zen))) - 4+ years into recovery and I still make mistakes. I've done the edit thing, asked another mod to remove or change a post of mine, or worried about how what I posted will affect others.

I came here, full of "you should do this" thoughts and quickly learned, thanks to the great people here, that sharing my ES&H works way better.

I am as impurrfect as my screen name. I've come a long way, but I still have a ways to go. It's here that I get comfort that it's okay to not be perfect. We live, we learn.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy