Notices

Alcoholism and Cancer shouldn't be compared

Old 08-04-2011, 06:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Tosh View Post
You won't find the word 'disease' in the Big Book. You will however find the word 'illness'.
I am not someone who has not read the Big Book, or someone who has not been in the rooms, for that matter. "Disease" is mentioned on pages 64, 187, 191, 227, 307, 308, 334, 335, 371, 380, 392, 439, and 448 of the Big Book, third edition, and "diseased" is mentioned on page 384. Yes, I do know that everything past the first 164 pages are the personal stories.
Resentment is the “number one’’ offender. It destroys more alcoholics than anything else. From it stem all forms of spiritual disease, for we have been not only mentally and physically ill, we have been spiritually sick. When the spiritual malady is overcome, we straighten out mentally and physically.
-- AA Big Book (1st Ed, Page 64)
That said, as stated previously, I am well aware of the distinction. However, more than one will happily use the medical disease model, often citing the AMA and others, while very subtly switching to a completely different meaning without warning. Bill Wilson was aware of this tendency, and he did address it at various times.
"We AAs have never called alcoholism a disease because, technically speaking, it is not a disease entity. For example, there is no such thing as heart disease. Instead there are many separate heart ailments or combinations of them. It is something like that with alcoholism. Therefore, we did not wish to get in wrong with the medical profession by pronouncing alcoholism a disease entity. Hence, we have always called it an illness or a malady – a far safer term for us to use."
-- Bill Wilson
Old 08-04-2011, 07:18 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I smoke cigarettes, by choosing to smoke cigarettes I know that I am at risk for lung cancer or emphysema or whatever. If I choose to drink then I am setting myself up for liver disease, cirrhosis, death, or any number of things. When it was first pointed out to me by my father years ago that I might be an alcoholic, I certainly didn't like the word "disease" or any other word attached to it either. It wasn't until I stopped using & stopped deceiving myself that I was able to see that there was something to it. I never understood why I just couldn't drink like a normal person. I firmly believe that alcoholism is a sickness of the mind as well as the body. I think that if one has any questions about whether or not alcoholism is a disease need to give it one more go & then decide. That's what I did once after 6 months clean a year and a half ago. I demonized myself, no one else had to or did.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:21 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by AVRT View Post
For example, there is no such thing as heart disease. ............
-- Bill Wilson
[/INDENT]
heh... my, how things have changed: Heart disease - MayoClinic.com

Personally, I don't "like" calling alcoholism a "disease" but I really don't care WHAT ppl call it, what they think about it, what they think it is or isn't, what they think I should or shouldn't do about it........etc etc etc.... I DO care that I've got it and I do care that I've found a solution that's worked for me for a while and has worked for millions before me for many many decades - whatever IT is, or whatever IT's called or how IT's classified by the medical community for whatever reason..... I couldn't care less. I have much bigger fish to fry
Old 08-04-2011, 07:48 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
I never see anyone compare Schizophrenia with cancer. Wouldn't it be more appropriate to compare alcoholism to another mental condition? Better yet, wouldn't it be even more appropriate to not compare alcoholism with anything else?

Alcoholics are certainly demonized by society. The burden of this condition is placed squarely on the shoulders of the alcoholic, and if the alcoholic fails, self esteem goes to crap and it becomes harder to win...*ahem*...get sober.

Most addicts I've met have serious problems and need serious help. And they're human! People with feelings, family, jobs, etc. Practically every single one is at least a double winner. I know I am. Depression's there, too, and it makes things incredibly difficult. And anxiety. And some kind of undiagnosed social disorder. Whatever. I have issues.

If dealing with addiction really is that simple, this site wouldn't exist. Addiction is the elephant in the room. I have hope that science will eventually catch up on disorders of the mind--it's all I have to hang on to.
Everyone who has cancer would wish they were an alcoholic though at least they could choose if they wanted to live or die.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tosh View Post
Also, on the 'illness vein'; I'm recovered, like I can recover from a cold. But there's nothing stopping me from catching a cold again, unless I protect myself from it.
Then again there doesn't seem to be a clearly analogous experience to "craving" (i.e., obsession) or "loss of control" (i.e., compulsion) associated with the common cold.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:14 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
heh... my, how things have changed: Heart disease - MayoClinic.com
Yes, it is amusing reading some of that old material sometimes. I always liked the "folding money" reference in the 12x12 myself. :-)
Old 08-04-2011, 04:28 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Does the disease model/theory of alcoholism/addiction really harm alcoholics/addicts?

If so, how?
Old 08-04-2011, 05:10 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
Heh... I figured someone would call me out on schizophrenia leading to death..... That's why I alluded to it as typically not being as immediately life threatening..... but we're not here to debate the minutiae...
Suicide is immediately life threatening. People with schizophrenia suicide at higher rates than the general population.

I am unaware of any studies that link higher rates of death due to schizophrenia-induced reclusiveness and personal neglect. I'm pretty sure that's what happened to my uncle, though. He never told anyone when something was wrong.

The difference between schizophrenia and alcoholism, or cancer and alcoholism, is that addicts can stop abusing the substance and stop or slow the destruction to the body and brain (with very few exceptions). Nothing is guaranteed to that degree when it comes to schizophrenia (or any other mental condition) and cancer.

Where I get upset is when people use that to shut down a serious and much needed conversation about addiction.

Addiction is important and very serious. Comparisons to other conditions that aren't the same derail the discussion.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I can't speak for everyone and wouldn't even attempt to. However, people who have cancer didn't ask for it, but may have contributed to it by their habits, not all of course. My grandmother was a heavy smoker and developed lung cancer. It metastasized and spread to her liver which eventually killed her. I never asked to be an alcoholic, but drinking is a choice. I think many of us will agree to that. Then too, there are those who have lost their right to choose. They are trapped in their addiction and the mental obsession, and are dying from alcoholism. Death by alcoholism is horrendous much like dying from cancer is. There are many perspectives on the concept. No, I don't have cancer, knock on wood, but I have suffered greatly from alcoholism. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I hate to even compare the two. They are equally horrific, in my opinion.

My alcoholic actions were insane. There is no doubt that it could be categorized as a mental illness. None the less, it is what it is no matter what label you slap on it. You could call it tennis elbow, doesn't sound so bad, but if I pick up a drink, I drink insanely. A rose by any other name...
Old 08-04-2011, 08:22 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
In Recovery

I'm an alcoholic and I've fought cancer. I beat cancer, it was 100x easier than alcohol.