Notices

Need a bit of help!

Old 08-02-2011, 02:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
★May 13,2011★

Need a bit of help!

Ok I am probably freaking out a bit more than I should be,but i'm almost 3 months sober and my husband is bringing vodka into the house (my drink of choice) This will be the first time being faced with alcohol since getting sober.I am a stay at home mom so I don't get out much.

Now I am wondering if I will be able to resist...I'm not ready! I wanted to tell him to just not buy it,but he is an adult and he drinks like once a year & he is allowed to have a drink if he pleases,I don't feel my issues should inconvenience him ya know?

I keep going back in forth in my mind.I'm questioning myself...like maybe I can have just one and be fine,but I love being clean & sober so much why would I screw it up? Ugh! It's like a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other.Maybe I am not as strong as I thought I was....

Can anyone help me get through the night? Words of wisdom,anything?
Old 08-02-2011, 02:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Babez View Post

Can anyone help me get through the night? Words of wisdom,anything?
At 3 months sober, I don't think it would be too much to ask for him not to keep any in the house. If he want's a drink, let him go to a bar. That being said, there should come a day when you should allow it back in the house but that is probably not for a few more months yet.

In the mean time, do you have a meeting to go to? A sponsor to talk to? A friend in recovery you can call?
Old 08-02-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

My husband keeps his hooch stashed in his car. Somehow that helps me.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Be up front and tell him of your concerns and fears. Sometimes those with no drinking issues tend to forget how we struggle with even the thoughts of having alcohol around. IMHO, don't go for the first drink (I just got through with a three month bout of "controlled drinking"—it failed again for the forth-eleventh time) and talk with your husband. Don't assume he should know not to bring home booze. If you're honest about your feelings, how can he not understand. Best of luck.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Its tuff when its in the house but it still doesn't have any power over your choice not to pick up. Proximity does not equate to power. Possible to have just one? not for me or not for long. Can you talk to your spouse about your discomfort? Sure he has the right to drink but you have the right to share your feelings.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
★May 13,2011★

Thank you.I have no sponsor or anything,never went to any meetings,and all my friends are still in the partying stage (i'm 23)
Old 08-02-2011, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Creekryder - why not have a talk with your husband and be honest about your concerns?

D
Old 08-02-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am also 3 months sober (actually, 3 and a half). I would never change my sober life for the drinking life. Never, never, never. Sorry, english is not my first language.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

I don't know how to communicate boundaries, either.